Changing nominated occupation

Guest EMMA

Hi there everyone

We filled in our own skilled independent application and submitted it end of last year, but now I'm starting to stress. I am qualified in a occupation that was on the MODL list, but for the last year have been working as a finance manager which is not technically related to my original field of study. Although I have a BCOM as well, I didn't want to put that on as my nominated occcupation, since I've only worked in this field for a year.

I expect a case officer will be assigned to our case in July - If they don't accept my nominated occupation due to the fact that I didn't work in that field for the year preceding the application, can I change my nominated occupation to financial accountant (if I get a positive assessment?). Do I need to submit a new application with new fees, or can I change my original application?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

e

Hi,

I don't know if you can change your occupaton midway but it might be diffcult as obviously your skills assessment goes hand-in-hand with your nominated occupation.

For the 136 visa, the requirement is not necessarily that you must have worked in that occupation for the last year. That might be a requirement for the skills assessment though. I don't know about all the applications obviously, but I know that to get the positive skills assessment for Accounting for instance, your skills assessment consists of having your B Comm or similar degree recognised. There is no mention at the accounting bodies' requirements for a specific number of years experience. The ACS assessment on the other hand (computer / ITC) requires a certain number of years in the profession, and if the area you work in is on the MODL you must have worked in that profession during the last 12 months and is part of the skill assessment.

The requirement for specific work experience under the points test simply requires you to have worked in any of the occupations on the ENSOL list for 3 of the last 4 years.

Then there is the general requirement (recent work experience) that you must have worked in any occupations on the list for 12 of the last 18 months if your occupation is 60 points or 2 of the last 3 years if your occupation is 40 or 50 points.

What is your nominated occupation on the application you have submitted?

Edited by Tomdoel

Hi Tomdoel

My nominated occupation was for electrical engineer. Reading your post I think I need to have a read that migration booklet that explains the points again. I think I've confused the experience for the assessment and that of the visa. Did a bit of spring cleaning the other day and threw away a lot of the papers I printed for the migration process. Will download the newest version of the booklet and do a bit of research (again).

Thank you for the reply.

em

hi EMMA

There's no problem with changing your nominated occupation once your application is in. And best of all, you don't pay the fee again either! :hug:

My hubby originally had his skills assessed in one occupation and once we were assigned a CO, he had his skills assessed in another occupation and submitted it - NO problem. After dealing with many unhelpful people in RSA in the " gov service industry", we were very nervous about the whole application thing & were so worried that the CO would be like some scary :ph34r: militant type person. Definitely not the case - after chatting with the helpful bunch on this forum, we discovered that we could e-mail our CO with any questions/concerns and he was a very helpful, human fellow. ;)

We did our application ourselves and any areas where we needed guidance, our CO pointed us in the right direction.

Hope this helps and good luck. Once you have that PR visa in your hand, the feeling is indescribable. ;):ilikeit:

Pam