IslandStyle: A short introduction on who I am and why I am here

IslandStyle

Good day

I am excited to be a new member on this forum and being able to share information and thoughts with all the fantastic people here.

My name is Wynand. I am 25 years young, stay in Centurion and work in the ICT industry. I recently decided that it is time for me and my wife to make the big move. I have done some basic research and are ready to start the migration process. I have family from SA living in Melbourne and are considering to apply under the 136 or 138 subclass and would need some advice and guidance.

Hi Wynand

Welcome, hope you will find many answers to your questions here!

WELCOME!!

So glad to see that another young couple like yourselves are gonna do the big move.

Hope you enjoy your stay with us as you will get lots of support & advice from fellow members.

Cheers

Welcome Wynand.

You've made the right choice. Its a long, frustrating journey you're going to be embarking upon but it's well worth it for the freedom, it really is. You'll get a lot of help from all the wonderful people on this board.

All the best to you and your wife.

Alan

• 1 year later...
It's a long, frustrating journey you're going to be embarking upon but it's well worth it for the freedom, it really is.

Damn right you are! I'm turning 28 in October and have made good progress (175 application lodged - waiting for CO) but yeah, it's been a long, frustrating journey and it's still not entirely over. ;]

Welcome, hope we can all be of great help to you.

Welcome to the forum mate, unfortunately can't help you with your visa question apart from recommending a PR as in my opinion is the best way to do it. I just need to advice you in advance that you should consider adapting a Ozzies name for yourself as the Ozzies can't pronounce "Wynand" at all. You will get all sorts of pronunciations like "Vynand" or "Winand" and some might get it when you pronounce it but if they have to read it they just can't do it. Not even to save their lives. My son had good fun and frustration at school with people that just can't do it. He adopted a new name and he is now known as Noah to all his Ozzie friends.

Welcome Wynand

Your best source of info is the Diac website, just a heads up, the 136 is now known as the 175.

Have a good look on here Department of Immigration and Culture at the various visa options for skilled workers.

Have a look at the ministers announcement regarding the new processing order of visa's as depending how quickly you want to get to Australia this will help you to decide which option to choose.

Any questions along the way, just ask.

We are also originally from Centurion. We have been in Melbourne now for 5 months. It has been fantastic so far. All the best.

I think you'll see that Wynand's original post was in Feb 2007 - he's been around and contributing for a while since then and I would assume the purpose of his last post was to answer AlanB's comment made on 17/02/2007....

Hope you've found plenty of information here since you first began your journey, Wynand.

I think you'll see that Wynand's original post was in Feb 2007 - he's been around and contributing for a while since then and I would assume the purpose of his last post was to answer AlanB's comment made on 17/02/2007....

Hope you've found plenty of information here since you first began your journey, Wynand.

Yep Cindylou

I only picked it up when I read the Cranzy post and went back and looked at the dates- felt a bit dumb but hell it is better to be dumb and helpful than clever and silent- I think!

Welcome to the forum again and good luck with your journey. Hubby is also in IT and we are also planning to go to Melbourne.

Al

Thanks people - good to know that there are 'others' around to support in these tough times. ;]

PS: Sorry for resurrecting such an old post - I've been known to have a problem with this - but it's always nice to get closure instead of ending with dead tracks - especially for new forum members.

Edited by Wynand

Keep us informed Wynand, hope you get a CO soon and then you can post an "I got it" thread!!!!

• 1 year later...

Happy [forum] birthday to me! Today marks exactly 3 years since I made my first official forum post. I joined just 2 days prior to that.

:whome::unsure::blink::angry::lol::huh::o:(:P

Island Style - why is it taking you so long to get your visa.......I was an Aug 07 applicant and got it in 15 months?

What is the status?

Nix

I sent in my first skills assessment in the middle of 2007.

At the end of that year we went on holiday (LS trip - no need for D) for a month and stayed with relatives in Melbourne.

We returned the middle of January 2008 (3 years for specific work experience points on 175) and booked IELTS at the beginning of February. The first available date was 28 June.

By then I wasn't sure if my skills assessment was still valid (1 year passed) so I requested a recently-signed assessment, at a small fee.

We eventually managed to lodge our 175 at the end of August 2008. 1 January 2009 came and the rest, as they say, is history. ;]

The long and short is that I have the wrong nominated occupation. I have an Engineering degree but don't work in the Engineering field but in IT. I did what I thought was the right thing to do at that time in line with the information and guidelines provided for applicants, deemed as current and true. I acted accordingly and based on time frames and processing priorities made available by various means, e.g. DIAC's Client Service Charter and the ASPC updates.

I know now I should've waited 4 months and attempted to get my skills assesses with ACS at the beginning of last year (4 years experience requirement). Either that or 176 SS (VIC) with my wife as main applicant (Audiologist).

My new plan was to go for ACS and lodge another 175 but this time as CSL. Then they changed the rules again, so I'm planning to lodge a temporary Visa application instead.

To make matters worse, my IELTS expires on 28 June this year, shortly before the new changes are implemented. I'll probably have to line up my ACS and go for IELTS again as I don't think it's wise to lodge before the exact impact and extent of such proposed significant changes are not officially announced.

Crazy/insane/hilarious?

Edited by IslandStyle