Graphic Designers

Claudia haycocks

Hi there, am wondering if there are any Graphic Designers out there? Am wondering more specifically about the current software being used in this area. I know of photoshop and the adobe suite and whilst used out here quite a bit, is that what's being used out there? Was thinking of doing a photoshop course out in RSA before we leave and wondering if there are any opinions on this? Would it be better perhaps to consider doing something similar there instead? Just wanting to explore and maximize job possibilities on arrival in Oz. I do need to do a little more research in this area to see what job markets / hidden job markets, for this type of thing are like, that said I do also need to keep in mind areas of familiarity. Thanks in advance

Hi Claudia,

My sister is in graphic design but in NZ, but her company has OZ branches I will as her and see what she comes back with, I'm sadly clueless in this dept. :blush:

T

Hey Orion25, many many thanks, would be ever so grateful, any opinions, advice and suggestions much appreciated. Wishing you a grand eveningsmile.gif

Hi Claudia,

My sister is in graphic design but in NZ, but her company has OZ branches I will as her and see what she comes back with, I'm sadly clueless in this dept. :blush:

T

I am a Graphics teacher (more draughting than photographs etc) but I'm also a hobbyist photographer.

All the Adobe programes are used heavily here but from what I can make out, anything goes as long as you can produce what the customer wants to see!

Tons of stuff on-line, but doing something formal with Adobe would be a good idea; maybe get it done sooner rather than later so you have That Very Important Piece of Paper in your hand when you get here?

HI Claudia,

Here is the reply from my sister in NZ.

Depends what part of design they are in. The most used programmes amounts all the designers in NZ and Oz in Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign (Is a big one) Version CS5. Worth a refresher course as it has a lot on new shortcuts and extra. Also worth going onto NZ/OZ Design forums as they do use different lingo too.

Hope this heps you.

T

Hey Tracy, thank you so much for the advice, I'm so appreciative of all the help and suggestions I've been given. It does make sense to try and do something out here, will definitely try and find out more about courses in RSA. Would you be able to recommend both institutions or a particular course? Mmmh would love to hear more about your job, and draughting more especially, what does that entail (excuse my ignorance). Are there specific courses for that area, or would it be covered in a basic Adobe course? Where do you teach - a tertiary institution? Thanks again, take caresmile.gif

I am a Graphics teacher (more draughting than photographs etc) but I'm also a hobbyist photographer.

All the Adobe programes are used heavily here but from what I can make out, anything goes as long as you can produce what the customer wants to see!

Tons of stuff on-line, but doing something formal with Adobe would be a good idea; maybe get it done sooner rather than later so you have That Very Important Piece of Paper in your hand when you get here?

Hey T, honestly I'm astounded by the effort people make to assist people they don't know from a bar of soap. Talk about reliability and efficiency, thank you so much for asking your sister, clearly in the know how. Mmmh not heard of Indesign, so will definitely google and see what comes up. I assume I can also just google NZ/OZ Design Forums to have a peek, me thinks a lot of researching and learning my way. Ever so grateful, take care and fab eve thumbup.gif

HI Claudia,

Here is the reply from my sister in NZ.

Depends what part of design they are in. The most used programmes amounts all the designers in NZ and Oz in Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign (Is a big one) Version CS5. Worth a refresher course as it has a lot on new shortcuts and extra. Also worth going onto NZ/OZ Design forums as they do use different lingo too.

Hope this heps you.

T

Archived