Our Melbourne Migration....

betty boop

Our migration story begins:

For a while we have been looking at Australia, our reason : OUR CHILDREN AND THEIR FUTURE...and for an adventure.

We recently closed our business down, economically it wasnt viable to run it any longer and decided to pursue our dream of moving to Australia. We didnt know how long it would take as some of our friends are still waiting for their Visas :o but we thought we would do whatever it took to get there. My husband started contacting agents and sent in his CV. A week after closing our business down we were contacted by an Australian company wanting to set up a telephonic interview a few days later. That was a good day. So we waited, second interview, we waited, then my husband was asked to prepare a presentation and send it through to the directors, he was to present this a few days later via video conferencing. We were away on holiday during a long weekend and we had to send this through on the Sunday evening. What a bit of stress that was, no one had internet and we were caravanning, no internet there. Finally at the 11th hour we finally were able to send it through. Two days later on a public holiday, my husband was dressing for his interview and presenting at 8am our time via the internet. My children were tiptoeing around the house so as not to disturb Dad.

Then we waited and BOY did that feel like a year. :whome: After a week, we had still not received word. Due to the time difference, their end of day was our beginning of our day so it was so disheartening waking up each morning, checking our email and realising that another day was to pass without any clear direction. Had we put all our eggs into one basket. :( All this wasted time should maybe have been spent looking for local employment, our savings were being dipped into, house repayments, school fees, maid, etc etc. Finally after waiting yet another weekend with no answer, we decided to call them only to find out that they had been on conference the week before and were at that moment sitting down discussing the logistics of bringing us over. Finally 30 minutes later we received a call....THE CALL, we were once again employed. WOW was that a day to celebrate.......... :ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit: They want him in October/ November 2011, I will follow with the children at the end of the year. Not ideal but at least he can look see decide whilst there.

That was the EASY part, now it was paperwork paperwork and more paperwork. We had many of our documents as we had travelled overseas recently. However our new latest addition, our third baby, just 8 months old, did not have a passport. Off to the Passport people to help us apply.

On Friday we had the MOST INCREDIBLE DAY....after visiting the passport people we were told that we needed an unabridged birth certificate for our youngest. Not sure why we had not applied for it, we were told this would take about 2 - 3 months...damn this was not good news, it could hold up the Visas. So we filled in the documents and headed off. On our way home we stopped at UNISA, my husband needed to obtain confirmation of his subjects studied for his degree. From outside the door, there was a snake of people heading up over two ramps to speak to enquiries, surely we didnt have to wait in this queue with an 8 month old dangling on our hip? We were told to head off to the Student advisory board. The room was quiet not a student in sight except for two miserable looking woman at the end of a desk. We asked them how to obtain this information and they looked at us and said "sorry, you have to wait in the queue". As we thanked them and headed on our way, something must have sparked a bit of kindness and we were called back and asked for hubbys ID number. Within a matter of minutes, tears in my eyes and tightly clutching this important piece of paper, we headed home. :grads:

At home, we decided to call the lady who registered babys birth and find out if she was able to get the birth certificate quicker, she was 2 weeks, no idea how but she could. We received a call from her 2 hours later to say that she had opened up our file to fill in paper work and low and behold on top of her papers was the birth certificate. It turned out that she had lost our address and couldnt post it to us...WHAT LUCK...so like I said Friday was a good day.

Today is Tuesday 30th August, we received our list of instructions for our medicals.

Xrays for the two older kids and the two of us @ R415 each

Medical examination for all three children as they will be attending school in Australia : R520 each

Courier cost to send these to Melbourne R630

TOTAL BILL R3850 - BROKE :o

Tomorrow we head to the hospital for our xrays and tomorrow we sign the mandate for our house to be sold. Wow everything is happening...

Will keep you posted!

xxx

Good luck, if there is anything I can help with to make your road easier on this side, just shout!

Fantastic! Good luck with all the arrangements.

If you need anything thing/info on Melbourne....let us know

Lots of excitement!! so where is your hubby working in melbourne (will be working) and where will you be settling?

Wow, things are really happening FOR you ! May everything proceed quickly and smooth from now on !!

Excellent news, have "fun" and enjoy the ride. :ilikeit:

Congratulations!

We are also on our way to Melbourne - husband in October, and me and the girls in November.

Good Luck :ilikeit:

Wow lots of Melbornians....so good to see all the support...thanks guys.

Update: We all went to have our xrays today...WE WERE AMAZED though.... :blink: THREE families in the waiting room having xrays done today for Australia.

Is everyone leaving???

XRAYS were perfect...phew! :)

Medicals booked for Monday!

ooo yes and sale boards went up today outside our house...pray for a buyer now!

ps...we will be settling around Mount Waverley/ Glen Waverley area...

Can anyone recommend good highschools - public about 20km around the above areas. Actually any in and around. I know Australia is a sporting nation, are the schools very sporty as in SA...ie hockey, athletics etc.

Can anyone recommend a really good ballet school offering modern dancing too. I dont mind travelling for a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Visas lodged today woohoo

Just a few weeks now I'm sure and then you will be celebrating. BIG TIME. :ilikeit:

Public, government schools, you have to live in their catchment area, as far as I am aware.

Crown quoted us today, think their quote is too high, will get another quotation. We are not taking all our furniture, one bed, no kitchen appliances, 1 lounge suite, no dining table, two tv and small cabinets, two chest of drawers, cot, compactum and patio furniture and then some boxes. Those are the main items and they quote us A$8000. Is this overpriced??

Crown quoted us today, think their quote is too high, will get another quotation. We are not taking all our furniture, one bed, no kitchen appliances, 1 lounge suite, no dining table, two tv and small cabinets, two chest of drawers, cot, compactum and patio furniture and then some boxes. Those are the main items and they quote us A$8000. Is this overpriced??

Hi Betty Boop

We've got a quote from Execu-move for R51,000 excluding insurance - for a full 20ft container (whole household). I think the Crown quote is a bit high. Let me know if you need their details. Peter has been great.

Regards

Jacquie

I want to shout it from the roof tops but know that it would be insensitive to our families....so I'll use this forum to shout about it.....WE GOT OUR VISAS!!!

Thank you Jacqui, I have stuttafords and elliott quoting me, if they are also overpriced, I will let you know.

Get quotes from various companies and see the volume they quote you on. They fiddle the figures up and down big time so makes it hard to compare prices but at least if you have met with different companies and got a feel for them you will be more confident whether the deal they are offering you is legit or too high.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday was a sad day, my cats were re-homed. I love my cats and wish I could have bundled them in my suitcase. I have decided not to get another animal as letting them go is too painful. What loving cats you are, Emily, Bubbles, Stripes and Snowball. We will miss you.

On a lighter note, Crown moved in today, swiftly quitely and every so efficient my house became a mound of cardboard covered furniture. What once was a home is now just a house (with cardboard furniture). It will certainly be like Christmas and very close to it, when I finally get my furniture on the other side and all is unwrapped. We had a moment of panic when I realised that my daughter may have forgotten to remove her camera from her bedroom and put it in our 'special cupboard' so that it can be kept to take pictures of school friends when she leaves. After her room had been so beautifully packed up I had to ask the very willing packer to assist in opening up the boxes to search for the missing camera. Needless to say after countless reopened boxes, she came home from school to tell us that she had already packed it in a special place in our 'special cupboard'. Baby who is only 10 months old noticed however that we had huge brown statues standing in the place that was once a familiar lounge, bedroom or TV room. I do wonder what goes on in their little minds. However the princesses room was untouched and she slept through most of the packing anyway.

Horror of horrors, sat down after a long day to watch my Bold and Beautiful and the damn DSTV has been unplugged with all the bedroom wires out so I have no idea which wire goes where...sigh this will be an early night for me I guess.

Tomorrow is another packing day but the good news is that I dont have to do anything!

Yesterday was a sad day, my cats were re-homed. I love my cats and wish I could have bundled them in my suitcase. I have decided not to get another animal as letting them go is too painful. What loving cats you are, Emily, Bubbles, Stripes and Snowball. We will miss you.

On a lighter note, Crown moved in today, swiftly quitely and every so efficient my house became a mound of cardboard covered furniture. What once was a home is now just a house (with cardboard furniture). It will certainly be like Christmas and very close to it, when I finally get my furniture on the other side and all is unwrapped. We had a moment of panic when I realised that my daughter may have forgotten to remove her camera from her bedroom and put it in our 'special cupboard' so that it can be kept to take pictures of school friends when she leaves. After her room had been so beautifully packed up I had to ask the very willing packer to assist in opening up the boxes to search for the missing camera. Needless to say after countless reopened boxes, she came home from school to tell us that she had already packed it in a special place in our 'special cupboard'. Baby who is only 10 months old noticed however that we had huge brown statues standing in the place that was once a familiar lounge, bedroom or TV room. I do wonder what goes on in their little minds. However the princesses room was untouched and she slept through most of the packing anyway.

Horror of horrors, sat down after a long day to watch my Bold and Beautiful and the damn DSTV has been unplugged with all the bedroom wires out so I have no idea which wire goes where...sigh this will be an early night for me I guess.

Tomorrow is another packing day but the good news is that I dont have to do anything!

Hi There,

It all sounds so exciting and like Crown is doing an excellent job.

Enjoy the rest of your journey and i trust our packing up will be as painless as yours.

Regards

T

Today I am a mess. I think it is hitting me now because my personal items have been packed up in my room. So emotional!!! My babys room that I spent agonising months decorating is being stripped away and her cot dismantled. Taken so many rescues today, still not coping...

Today I am a mess. I think it is hitting me now because my personal items have been packed up in my room. So emotional!!! My babys room that I spent agonising months decorating is being stripped away and her cot dismantled. Taken so many rescues today, still not coping...

Thinking of you today :hug:

• 3 weeks later...

Well we have been staying with my folks since our furniture was packed up. It was delayed at port for only a week which is a relief and is now on its merry way. My hubby was due to leave on Sunday 30th October and on Saturday heard the news that qantas had ground all their flights due to strike action. What now!! Tried to get hold of the travel agent in Aus but it was midnight. Phoned qantas and waited for 58 minutes before he got through to an operator only to be told that his flight was cancelled and were not being transferred to another airline. He finally got hold of someone from his office who rescheduled the flight for later on Sunday with SAA. Arrived at the airort last night for his flight from dur-jhb. Flight delayed by 30minutes due to weather conditions. Arrived in jhb - got onto the main flight only to be told that the plane couldn't leave due to no fuel. Delayed by 45min. Waiting to hear from him today. He arrives my time 7.25am. Than a log wait until his flight to melbourne. Our new life begins. I leave on the 8th December , so a little over 5 weeks to go!

Oh BettyBoop what a hectic time of ups and downs

The last few weeks and the first few weeks are some of the hardest. It really doesn't help when plans are thrown into disarray by Qantas - I hear they are all running again but I imagine it will take a while for them to sort everyone out. When we came over there were so many Qantas flights between Sydney and Melbourne hopefully that section will go OK for him.

Sunny today, its Melbourne cup tomorrow so its a public holiday but it sounds like much of the place it up and running.

Archived