Having A Baby In Perth

Jitterbug

To the ladies... Anyone living in Perth had a baby?

My husband and I have been in Perth now for about 6 months and we want to have our first baby.

I have some relatives here, but they are on temp residence and havent had kids here, so they cant really give me good advice.

So, My concerns are about whether I should rely on Medicare and the public health system, or get private health cover before getting pregnant.

It sounds really expensive going the private route, like having to pay OBs crazy amounts of money. Coming from South Africa, its hard to trust the public hospitals, although I have to constantly remind myself that Im not in South Africa anymore. Will I get the same level of care if I go to a public hospital? Is it worth the money to go private?

Also, If private hospitals is the better way to go, Which health care provider do I chose??? there are so many. Which one will provide good maternity cover?

Final question, anyone know of a good obstetrician? As we are alone here in Australia and we wont have our parents here to offer the emotional support we need. The last thing I need is an OB that will alienate me even more.

Jitterbug

Hi J, I am over in Sydney and had my second medicare baby this morning! How is that for from the horses mouth! Wanted my first natural but ended up with a c section, so had elective c section this time. I have never picked a obs/ gyne and use who ever is in on the day. They are all brilliant here at the RPA ( even has its own tv show). First time my medical aid ( HCF) maternity cover had not kicked in yet, but they gave me a private room in any case as they were quiet. This time all I am using HCF for is to pay for a private room. The staff are all so caring and professional, cant do enough for me. Its clean and well stocked, even the food is delish. Last time I was in over Xmas and we both got given lovely gifts. Anyway, just my 2cents. Good luck with your baby journey.

AAAAHHH, congratulations!!!! I hope you are blessed to bits by your new baby :-)

Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it.

Hi J, I am over in Sydney and had my second medicare baby this morning!

Congrats on the birth of your baby - you have confirmed your title "certified addict" :ilikeit:

Hi J-bug,

My wife is 3 months pregnant. The public health system is OK, but we've opted to go private because you can choose the hospital you give birth at and get a private room. We are with Medibank, have been a few years and are very happy with them.

My wife has gotten in with an obstetrician, Dr Linda Wong. She is in Subiaco and her patients get a guaranteed option for birth at St John of God in Subi. Both she and the hospital are really good, based on experiences of 2 other Saffas we know that have given birth there using her as their OB.

Cost wise, we pay around $260 per month for 2 people (Medibank intermediate hospital and comprehensive extras). Medibank pays for the hospital at birth (minus $250 excess we'll need to pay). During the pregnancy (prenatal) Medibank does not pay for scans, obstetrician visits, blood tests etc. These are covered by Medicare, but they only pay around 40% of the costs for these. The obstetrician (if you go with one) also charges a 'pregnancy management fee', which is payablbe at 20 weeks. In our case this is around $2,000 - from what I've heard this is a bit cheaper than on the eastern states, but still something to save up for if you plan to use one. Also, keep in mind private medical has a 12 month waiting period for pregnancy, so it you wish to go that way you'd need to get onto it ASAP. One last thing. Obstetricians in Perth are in huge demand, I'd suggest you phone and get yourself into one as soon as you find out you are pregnant as they can at times be unable to take new patients and/or have long waiting lists. To get into one you will need a referal from you GP, but you simply tell him who you want to be refered to.

Hope that helps, and good luck with the exciting decisions.

z

Hi Jitterbug, I wish you all the best in your decision. Just my experience: an obstetrician is very expensive and in my case he missed all the signs that something was wrong and my baby nearly died. In the end I had my baby in a public hospital and the care was excellent. Yes you don't get the same dr's etc all the time, but a group of dr's has more knowledge anyway :whome:

Hi J, I am over in Sydney and had my second medicare baby this morning! How is that for from the horses mouth! Wanted my first natural but ended up with a c section, so had elective c section this time. I have never picked a obs/ gyne and use who ever is in on the day. They are all brilliant here at the RPA ( even has its own tv show). First time my medical aid ( HCF) maternity cover had not kicked in yet, but they gave me a private room in any case as they were quiet. This time all I am using HCF for is to pay for a private room. The staff are all so caring and professional, cant do enough for me. Its clean and well stocked, even the food is delish. Last time I was in over Xmas and we both got given lovely gifts. Anyway, just my 2cents. Good luck with your baby journey.

CONGRATULATIONS :ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit:

Enjoy your new bundle. :lol:

T

Had a baby 3 months ago in Perth at Joondalup Health Campus. Opted to go private and got cover from HBF, no 12 month waiting period required. We've only been 2months in Oz at the time. Similar costs to that of Zetman re during pregnancy period. Dr was wonderful, very motherly and caring, can strongly recommend her - Dr Susan Isdale. The experience at Hosp was excellent and supportive much better than previously experienced at a private hosp in SAfrica. What I specifically liked was the private rooms where they allow roomsharing i.e. your husband or a family member can stay with you in hosp - it is covered by HBF. With hindsight - I would follow the same process - should mention that medicare on its own is good.

Ha ha, have gotten a iPhone since my last child birth, great to email and send photos from my bed. We have had a good night with my husband staying with us. Like I said, last time he stayed over too, they gave us a private room because they had many free. Looking around the state of the art room, you can honestly eat off the floor. They are constantly checking in on me, offering pain relief and feeding me, the drinks lady is also very regular. Baby Tristan is using their nappies, clothes, blankets, etc. The only thing we have spent money on in the last 9 months have been for parking next to the hospital. My kind of system! And this was at one point a "high risk" pregnancy, but all the extra medical care and procedures were also free.

Ha ha, have gotten a iPhone since my last child birth, great to email and send photos from my bed. We have had a good night with my husband staying with us. Like I said, last time he stayed over too, they gave us a private room because they had many free. Looking around the state of the art room, you can honestly eat off the floor. They are constantly checking in on me, offering pain relief and feeding me, the drinks lady is also very regular. Baby Tristan is using their nappies, clothes, blankets, etc. The only thing we have spent money on in the last 9 months have been for parking next to the hospital. My kind of system! And this was at one point a "high risk" pregnancy, but all the extra medical care and procedures were also free.

BAIE BAIE GELUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't comment on the public hospitals in Perth, but I was amazed at the public hospital in Brisbane when my girlie got ill - they were fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck Jitterbug - keep us posted :ilikeit:

Hi Jittebug,

I arrived in Sydney when I was 6 months preggies. We are on PR so qualified for Medicare. Since hubby had just started his job our private medical aid didn't cover my pregnancy & birth so we had no choice but to use the public health system. I was pretty nervous to say the least considering what the SA public system is like! We had our son at Blacktown Hospital (the name is pretty scary!). They were fantastic! We didn't use a OBGYN as we heard that the cost was pretty big & Medicare barely covered it. I ended up with a totally natural birth (no time for an epidural) & the midwives were AMAZING! The care of myself & our baby was great. Even when there were some issues after the birth, there were 3 doctors there to help me in no time at all. All my check-ups were covered by Medicare & including my scans that I needed.

I had some issues a couple weeks after the birth so had to see a GYNEA & was referred by my GP to one. That 1 visit was $250, Medicare only covered $60 of this. He did say to me for baby #2 that I should go with the midwives as my pregnancy & birth was pretty easy. We have decided that we will do the private hospital route though but use a midwife.

As for support, we have no family & friends here. My mom did come out to help for 3 weeks. The clinic at the hospital organized a moms group & I joined & have slowly made friends. The clinic also did 3 home visits once we left the hospital, which I found very helpful. We have not a paid a cent to date to the hospital for the birth of our son, everything has been covered by Medicare.

So while it will be difficult it can be done. I'm not sure on the Perth hospitals but I for one am pretty impressed with the State hospitals, especially compared to those in SA. As for support, join a moms group as soon as possible! And see if any family member can come out to help.

Goodluck!

I also had a medicare baby. King Edward memorial in Perth. They are fantastic!!

Just a note that when there is a 12 month waiting period for maternity services in private hospital insurance it is usually 12 months from the date of birth, not conception, so you really only need to wait 3 months before getting pregnant.

In Perth, you can always consider contacting the Community Midwifery service. They only take medicare patients and your birth will be in the King Edward birth center or even better, at home! I haven't used them personally, but it sounds like Medicare covers all their costs.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Ive decided to go the private route and join HBF :-) Now to wait 3 months....

Congratulations, boy or girl?

I'm pregnant and still coming to grips with how the system works here in Melbourne.

I've had 2 c/sections in South Africa but unfortunately as I was already quite far along when we arrived I had to go public. But as I had previous c/sections I had to have an obstetrician so the maternity clinic gave me a list of obstetricians to ring - I eventually found one who would take me on.

Now I've been charged around $200 for the first visit and then a $230 pregnancy management fee and then it will be $75 after that per visit. I do get about half of this back from Medicare.

At first I thought it was a lot, until I saw that this obstetrician charged $3000 pregnancy management fee for private patients!! And I'm not sure but as far as I can see medical insurance doesn't give you back much of this??

So the advantages of having private insurance is that you can choose your ob and hospital but it will still cost a lot more.

I kind of chose the ob but he won't do my c/section, although the public hospital I'll be going to only has 2 mum's per room and many private patients also choose to go there as it has good facilities for example a special care unit etc. which some private hospitals don't have.

So we're still deciding if private health insurance is worth it or not. Might just go for a basic hospital plan.

Archived