Starting business

Sparks

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has applied for a visa to move to Australia and start a business in there. I had a client several months back who was about to move to Australia and she said that the Australian government was even going to fund her in her new business venture.

Does any one know about this option, what are the requirements etc?

Sparks

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Sparks - As far as I know there are only 2 or 3 of us on the forum taking this option. We have been granted a provisional business Visa and have been living in Adelaide, SA for 2 months now. The one we applied for originally was the 160 Visa, but we couldn't get it due to the stringent cash requirements, and settled on what seems like the ' baby brother' Visa, the State-sponsored 163 Visa. You can read up on them both in Dimia's (Diac's) website.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/business/163/index.htm

Here is also a link to the Govt. of South Australia's website explaining how they sponsor migrants and what their requirements are.

http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/site/Business_Visa_163.php

If you accept a State sponsorship (163) you have to live and work in that region. If you get the 160 Visa it is Australia-wide. I do not know which other regions are sponsoring, you can take a look at the first website and have a read.

We do not get any actual funding, but the 'sponsorship' means the State Government is willing to accept a lower entry criteria than what the main Australian government will accept. So they take a bit of a chance on you in return for your skills and capital, because they want the lower-populated regions to grow.

I believe there are some business types which may attract grants, but I don't know what they are. I think maybe that's what your friend obtained, but certainly, you will need enough of your own cash to set up your new business and enough to sustain yourselves in the meantime. You do not get medicare or any other state benefits like Centrelink on this Visa, because it is a provisional visa. After your business is up & running (after 2 years but before 4 years), you may apply for a permanent visa (PR). If that is unsuccessfull you will have to pass the points test or leave the country.

Please read up everything you can about the 160 & 163 Visas. It all hinges on you already having a successfull business track record, they do not allow you to just start a new business in Australia without previous experience.

You can also read up other discussions about this in the 'search' function of the forum, type in 160 or 163 visa & you should get something.

Hope it helps, Bronwyn.

Edited by Bronwyn