A Very Interesting Article.....

EricaC

Question

I found this read very sobering! For those who have a little homesickness.....please google......

southern man - thoughts from south africa

We, as South Africans can be so very grateful for getting the chance to start afresh in 1st World Countries....like OZ, Canada, NZ etc.....

I too, like many of my wonderful SA friends in OZ and here in NZ get homesick from time to time....this article hits home

and my homesickness vanishes as fast as it came.

(sorry, could not get link for this)

E

22 answers to this question

Hi

I must say the post from TamD is the most immature and insensitive post I've ever seen. If what he say is true then thousands of South African's left the country just because it's just a "lekker" thing to do and wanted a adventure. If South Africa is such a wonderful country why did so many people leave and is still leaving? To emigrate was the hardest decision we ever had to make and it was not easy at all, why would we make such a decision then if everything is "honky dory" in South Africa.

I've been back in South Africa in June for our granddaughters birth, yes we still have a married daughter there and now a granddaughter(that is why its so hard, but still the best decision we made) well coming back to what I wanted to say about the visit in June. All the cities in South Africa is a rubbish dump, I can't believe he compares Perth to those cities, you can't even begin to compare South Africa to Aus. I don't want to badmouth South Africa but we have to be honest with each other, its a beautiful country but so difficult to live safely there.

Linda

In Perth people get mugged a lot!!!

and you have been mugged in Perth how many times? :blink:

High five, Zetman.

The worst is these farking eternal optimists on Facebook. Any time I mention anything about how I am leaving, how my visa application is going, in runs the "Lead SA" cavalry to defend their precious sh!thole.

I wholeheartedly agree and will actually use your line that just because I was born here doesn't mean I have any obligation not to criticize.

I think that deep down, they all know that this ship is taking on water faster and faster every day. A lot of them have children - what opportunities would there be for their white, male children in 10, 20 or 25 years? They don't even have opportunities now! And don't even get me started on the new health system they want to implement.

TamD - please feel free to come back to SA. You are welcome to it.

I had a need to comment on Iain McCleod. He is not a journalist, he is also not "just a visitor to RSA" he is a well known New Zealand migration agent. He handled our migration 18 years ago when we went to NZ. He travels to RSA at least once, sometimes twice a year. He usually has meetings in Cape Town, Johannesburg and Durban. He has been involved in the woes, trials and tribulations of a great percentage of the migrants moving to NZ and he is inclined to keep in touch with them, either personally, or via his newsletter. Quite frankly, in my humble opinion, that makes him fairly qualified to make statements about RSA. I think some of his comments were quite tongue in the cheek, however, once again, those that are mad at the world tend to jump on it, maybe they just needed to sit back, take a deep breath and then come back the next day to re-read the comments, they may have seen it in a different light.

In the end, we are all entitled to our own opinions, we are also entitled to share them with others, but then we should never go on a personal attack, it is enough to just state that it is not how we see the situation.

For me, I last went to RSA to visit about six years ago, and during that visit, I felt so vulnerable, that I decided it would be my last. I have since paid for some family members to visit me in Australia, where we could travel, walk around, use public transport, and feel completely safe, which they all commented on!

I love the beauty of RSA but there are a lot of things about it today that I personally do not care for, and I have no wish to become one of the random statistics. I give thanks, like many others, on a daily basis that I am fortunate enough to be able to live in NZ, as well as now Australia, and to be a citizen of these two great countries. They are not without fault, at times, but there is no way that you can compare life in general in either two, against life in RSA. Life here, is just that much healthier, in safety, opportunities, healthcare, and a huge future for our children.

CGP I can understand you, yes many expats bash SA and they probably should not. I luckily love both countries, SA and POz so for me I say good about both. You have to understand though that many of us have been through hell with criminals and for us it was a decision based on personal safety after gang rape, shootings etc which we managed to get through but when you have kids it is hard to imagine them becoming messed up and so we decided to leave rightly or wrongly. We feel SA is not democratic in a true sense of the word, yes all can vote but the ANC has a huge majority so for us that is also not good for the future. Zuma democratically elected, by whom? He should never ever have made it to the presidency. Look how he has enriched himself. Now I ask you is he an example for your children?

Australia will never be South Africa and South Africa is a unique place like no other in the world but so is Oz. If crime amongst other things had not affected us so badly would we ever have left? probably not. You have to understand that some of us have developed post traumatic stress disorder from being victims of crime. You can say all you like until it actually happens to you..more than once... Yes people say dumb stuff who live in Oz and yes Oz and NZ are BNOT Eutopia. yes there is litter, uncouth youth, social problems and wow even crime... welcome to the world people.

We as a family have undergone a healing process and after all the years here yes we would still love to live in SA..but SA still has got some way to go...reverse racism is another issue in SA and entitlement and still way too much poverty, unemployment and illegals streaming in from other neighbouring countries. For now OZ is the most awesome country where I feel free and happy and we can stroll or ride bikes down the road and have no fence! How can we turn our backs on this country called Oz as it has been such an awesome journey for us. I hope you never become a bad crime victim and well it looks like the crime stats are improving. When everyone can live without an electric fence I would consider living there again

I had a need to comment on Iain McCleod. He is not a journalist, he is also not "just a visitor to RSA" he is a well known New Zealand migration agent. He handled our migration 18 years ago when we went to NZ. He travels to RSA at least once, sometimes twice a year. He usually has meetings in Cape Town, Johannesburg and Durban. He has been involved in the woes, trials and tribulations of a great percentage of the migrants moving to NZ and he is inclined to keep in touch with them, either personally, or via his newsletter. Quite frankly, in my humble opinion, that makes him fairly qualified to make statements about RSA. I think some of his comments were quite tongue in the cheek, however, once again, those that are mad at the world tend to jump on it, maybe they just needed to sit back, take a deep breath and then come back the next day to re-read the comments, they may have seen it in a different light.

In the end, we are all entitled to our own opinions, we are also entitled to share them with others, but then we should never go on a personal attack, it is enough to just state that it is not how we see the situation.

For me, I last went to RSA to visit about six years ago, and during that visit, I felt so vulnerable, that I decided it would be my last. I have since paid for some family members to visit me in Australia, where we could travel, walk around, use public transport, and feel completely safe, which they all commented on!

I love the beauty of RSA but there are a lot of things about it today that I personally do not care for, and I have no wish to become one of the random statistics. I give thanks, like many others, on a daily basis that I am fortunate enough to be able to live in NZ, as well as now Australia, and to be a citizen of these two great countries. They are not without fault, at times, but there is no way that you can compare life in general in either two, against life in RSA. Life here, is just that much healthier, in safety, opportunities, healthcare, and a huge future for our children.

Hi Erica

Don't believe everything you read. This is what irritates me about journalists - they make rash statements and get the platform to air them.

"South Africans walk really slowly"??? Did he line up all 50 million of us and time us? Or was he stuck behind 2 octaganerians while he was looking to find a bathroom. Either way, that's a really low quality statement to make in an article. What's the generally acceptable walking pace and who determined it?

While in London I met a guy and his wife (non-South Africans)who just returned from a trip around Europe. When I asked about their trip their comment was that the Nesquik did not taste the same as in their home country. I kid you not. They visited 1000 year old civilisations (on a big budget) and all they could comment on was the Nesquik. You can find negatives and positives in any situation.

Yes, there is lots of poverty in SA. Yes, there is crime and who am I to tell anybody that it is at an acceptable/unacceptable level in which to live and raise kids. Yes, there are lots of frustrations here that boil over into road rage occasionally.

Jacob Zuma is a democratically elected president. No dictator, no election rigging, but elected by the people. The reason that Mr MacLeod knows about the corruption is that it was reported in the papers. There is corruption and it is high, but the democracy is working in that investigations are done, newspapers are able to report on them. All that is needed now is for the punishment to fit the crime. That will come. Look at that ministers wife - she got prosecuted. No cover up, no denial. Prosecuted and chookie baby.

As for singing of songs - I would like Mr MacLeod to consider a great New Zealand tradition - the Haka. People can justify anything and I know that people will justify why this is different, but I bet if you asked Mr Zuma or Malema, they would justify why this is exactly the same.

The middle class getting poorer comment -I don't know whether it is getting poorer or not. I would like to know where he got his facts. Out of his thumb, by talking around a braai or from Stats SA? What I can tell you is that the middle class is growing exponentially with a large amount of black professionals entering the 'class'. This has increased the market size in SA for items such as cars, houses, electronics etc. This is a good thing. No, it's a great thing. It has led to inflationary pressure, but inflation is under control here. You can say what you want about the SA Govt, but the Department of Finance is on the ball. Tourist destinations are, admittedly, expensive as they are frequented by Germans and others who come with big wallets. I don't think that is unique to SA. For the rest of us, I don't think that it's too expensive. (he's eating Woolies chicken - not too many of us do that - there are plenty of cheaper options).

Couple of closing thoughts:

1) It's ok to be homesick

2) I never met a New Zealander that i didn't like (i never met Iain MacLeod)

3) The weather is the weather - nothing we can do about that

4) Direction signs have always been green and white or black and yellow. looking at US movies, it's the same there.

5) What's wrong with voting on a Wednesday? We have 12 public holidays a year, including Christmas, boxing day and Easter. I don't know if that's high or low, but that's a fact. It's poor journalism to make a comment like they're always on holiday.

6) Unemployment is high. Maybe it would be lower if people didn't emigrate and stayed here to create jobs. I can't critisize people for leaving, but (from Cold Mountain)"don't make the rain and then complain that it's raining".

7) The Gautrain (and freeway expansion program) is an overwhelming success - a trip from Pretoria to Sandton now takes about 1/2 the time. If i have to pay for it for 30 years, so be it. Cutting my commute by 1/2 is money well spent.

8) the countryside is a rubbish tip. Not sure where he went. The areas where i go are perfectly acceptable. Maybe he visited a township? New Zealand is, as i understand it, one of the most environmentally conscious countries in the world, so maybe we don't compare. But it is by no means a tip here.

9) I'm sorry he got mugged. I got mugged at knifepoint for the 1st time a year ago and it was not nice at all (outide the municipal office!)

10) Lastly - I really wish people would take the attitude of "I left to go somewhere better" rather than "I fled a sh1thole". remember, there are still some people who CHOOSE to live here. (It's no trap - look at the numbers of people who are still leaving!)

Hi CGP

Thanks for reply, you have some good/interesting points there. A very bitter'sweet subject though, as I'm sure you realize. Yes, there are those that choose to live there, I honestly understand. Most of us still have our beloved family members there.

E

Leaving South Africa will always be a very personal thing for most of us. As this is a huge step in anyone's lives, as life altering as it may be, we do it to better our lives.

Yes, as mentioned in the above post, some only leave because of a brilliant work offer, with good money. Fair enough, no one can snub that. But for a large percentage of us, we left for other reasons. We, left after going through these events, in just 2 years:

1. A double murder of my Aunt (not blood related, but grew up with the family) Joan was 85 years old, murdered in her Plumstead Cape Town flat. Her daughter aged 55 apprehended the guy and she too got murdered. So bloody senseless.

2. A couple of months after that, a 'gang related' incident breaks out at my husbands place of work, shots fired, narrowly missing him as he dove behind a car.

3. Shortly after that, on our way to our library, a 'car jacking suspect' get's shot by police, we witness his body slumped over steering wheel. Our daughter witnesses that, age 7.

4. We soon after that have a horrible break-in, all our dvd, play station, speakers, sound system, clothes etc.....gone. Our second break-in.

The last straw was going to bed one night and setting our ADT alarm, and all hell breaks out. Shots are being fired in our street,in front of our house, and cops are everywhere. Turns out they were chasing an armed gang, who had broken into one of the business premises a couple of streets away. One of the suspects jumps into our backyard, to hide and he is caught. The cops have a gun to his head outside my daughters bedroom window, which we all witness. They tazer him in the cop van, wanting info on his mates, who they got away. We hear his screams. Our daughter could not sleep by herself for months after that incident.

We decided then and there.....ENOUGH!

If you have been 'lucky enough' not to be touched by crime, like TamD mentioned (not wanting to leave SA, really) then yeah, you are the lucky ones. And I am sure the lucky ones can see where us 'unlucky' ones are coming from, being a little hard/negative towards SA.... not looking at South Africa through 'rose tinted glasses' Having to walk around 24/7 watching your back...what, are you kidding. That is not a way of life.

We too love SA for it's beauty, good memories, yes, we all have those. But when it touches you personally, you will never feel the same again.

My heart goes out to those families who have lost a family member due to violent crimes, and like I mentioned earlier, can not leave the Country due to health problems or financial ones. But if they could, they would make the best of it, appreciate the chance.

YES, crime/murder has every where - but, you stand more of a chance being in the wrong place at the wrong time in SA. Sorry if this offends some folk still in SA.

To those who get the God given chance, embrace it, if you simply cannot, go back to SA and give a deserving family the chance.

E

Hi Erica

Don't believe everything you read. This is what irritates me about journalists - they make rash statements and get the platform to air them.

"South Africans walk really slowly"??? Did he line up all 50 million of us and time us? Or was he stuck behind 2 octaganerians while he was looking to find a bathroom. Either way, that's a really low quality statement to make in an article. What's the generally acceptable walking pace and who determined it?

While in London I met a guy and his wife (non-South Africans)who just returned from a trip around Europe. When I asked about their trip their comment was that the Nesquik did not taste the same as in their home country. I kid you not. They visited 1000 year old civilisations (on a big budget) and all they could comment on was the Nesquik. You can find negatives and positives in any situation.

Yes, there is lots of poverty in SA. Yes, there is crime and who am I to tell anybody that it is at an acceptable/unacceptable level in which to live and raise kids. Yes, there are lots of frustrations here that boil over into road rage occasionally.

Jacob Zuma is a democratically elected president. No dictator, no election rigging, but elected by the people. The reason that Mr MacLeod knows about the corruption is that it was reported in the papers. There is corruption and it is high, but the democracy is working in that investigations are done, newspapers are able to report on them. All that is needed now is for the punishment to fit the crime. That will come. Look at that ministers wife - she got prosecuted. No cover up, no denial. Prosecuted and chookie baby.

As for singing of songs - I would like Mr MacLeod to consider a great New Zealand tradition - the Haka. People can justify anything and I know that people will justify why this is different, but I bet if you asked Mr Zuma or Malema, they would justify why this is exactly the same.

The middle class getting poorer comment -I don't know whether it is getting poorer or not. I would like to know where he got his facts. Out of his thumb, by talking around a braai or from Stats SA? What I can tell you is that the middle class is growing exponentially with a large amount of black professionals entering the 'class'. This has increased the market size in SA for items such as cars, houses, electronics etc. This is a good thing. No, it's a great thing. It has led to inflationary pressure, but inflation is under control here. You can say what you want about the SA Govt, but the Department of Finance is on the ball. Tourist destinations are, admittedly, expensive as they are frequented by Germans and others who come with big wallets. I don't think that is unique to SA. For the rest of us, I don't think that it's too expensive. (he's eating Woolies chicken - not too many of us do that - there are plenty of cheaper options).

Couple of closing thoughts:

1) It's ok to be homesick

2) I never met a New Zealander that i didn't like (i never met Iain MacLeod)

3) The weather is the weather - nothing we can do about that

4) Direction signs have always been green and white or black and yellow. looking at US movies, it's the same there.

5) What's wrong with voting on a Wednesday? We have 12 public holidays a year, including Christmas, boxing day and Easter. I don't know if that's high or low, but that's a fact. It's poor journalism to make a comment like they're always on holiday.

6) Unemployment is high. Maybe it would be lower if people didn't emigrate and stayed here to create jobs. I can't critisize people for leaving, but (from Cold Mountain)"don't make the rain and then complain that it's raining".

7) The Gautrain (and freeway expansion program) is an overwhelming success - a trip from Pretoria to Sandton now takes about 1/2 the time. If i have to pay for it for 30 years, so be it. Cutting my commute by 1/2 is money well spent.

8) the countryside is a rubbish tip. Not sure where he went. The areas where i go are perfectly acceptable. Maybe he visited a township? New Zealand is, as i understand it, one of the most environmentally conscious countries in the world, so maybe we don't compare. But it is by no means a tip here.

9) I'm sorry he got mugged. I got mugged at knifepoint for the 1st time a year ago and it was not nice at all (outide the municipal office!)

10) Lastly - I really wish people would take the attitude of "I left to go somewhere better" rather than "I fled a sh1thole". remember, there are still some people who CHOOSE to live here. (It's no trap - look at the numbers of people who are still leaving!)

I thought a lot about this post because it touches a nerve with most of us. How do you answer to someone who obviously does not want to be in Australia?

TamD, You say the only reason you left South Africa was for a good job offer. A good job offer does not simply fall into your lap unless you went looking for it (especially if that job is in another country), so I'm guessing that you were looking ... Why were you looking if there were not things about South Africa which made you want to leave? I'm just asking because it just does not make sense moving to another country and then 2 months in, you can make a list of everything which is "wrong" in this country. After two months in Australia, I still struggled to find my way without a map or a GPS and did not know where to buy furniture, or where the best doctors are, but you have it all figured out for all the wrong reasons. I can only assume that you are terriblly unhappy in Australia and are looking for enough reason to be. Honestly, in two months in any country, you can not possibly form an unbiased opinion - let alone quote the crime statistics...

I don't know what your situation is or why it is that you feel so negative towards a country you know very little about, but for your own happiness and sanity, it would be good to just be open minded and experience this wonderful country and all it has to offer without comparing every little thing to South Africa. So many people who tried standing with one foot in each country really struggled to settle into their new lives in Australia and a lot of them are absolutley miserable here - some went back and continued to bad-mouth Australia.

Keep in mind that most of us who leave, do so for a better future and while we have left, we still have family, friends, loved ones, investments, property, etc. in South Africa so we will be concerned about the state of affairs. This forum is as much a platform to discuss those issues as it is about finding immigration advice and support.

I honestly don't understand why South Africans have to forever defend their love for either country. blink.gif (Or rugby team for that matter... whistling.gif)

@ TamD. A good job in a foreign country is not worth the anger and emotional torture you seem to be going through. If you find so much fault with Perth and other expats go back to South Africa and take your crappy attitude with you. I've lived in Perth for 3 years, don't personally know a single person who has been mugged (although I don't deny it does happen here); and I pretty much can't relate to anything you've said. You're arguments are weak.

It really bugs me how so many expats smugly look down on South Africa and proclaim doom upon her adn its like they're rubbing their hands together just waiting for it to happen

Yes, and it really bugs me when people blindly defend South Africa and assume the moral higher ground over other expats for not having the same opinions. I was born in South Africa, but that does not mean I should show it absolute patriotism, loyalty and love. If you don't like that, you can role it in paper and smoke it.

I don't normally get too worked up over posts, but I found your's particulary annoying. Take a chill pill, then seriously consider buying yourself a plane ticket back to your beloved Efrika.

z

We are going to the Cape (Somerset West and Garden Route) for Dec/Jan. I am looking forward to lots of things, but there is definitely a dark cloud hanging over my excitement. We are just not as street wise as we were, combined with the fact that RSA has become more challenging since we left . This time we have two little boys under two, which makes me feel like a bloody overprotective lioness. My husbands family is scattered around JHB/Pretoria/Thabazimbi. I was not planning to go outside of my comfort zone (the Cape), so last night my husband suggested he and the eldest (20mths) fly up to see his family for a few days! Just the thought of this makes me want to faint/throw up, but apparently it is either this, or next visit we will be based up there. :ph34r: Eeeeeeek!

Maybe TamD is feeling homesick, she is missing out on all the action , affirmative and otherwise.

She must be so depressed about living here.

Maybe she needs to take a trip back,perhaps life was better for her there.

She needs to confirm that she is living in the wrong place.

and if you checked the news lately Malema is no longer allowed to sing the kill the boer song.

If you check the news he is still singing it.

The ANC (and probably Malema) are appealing the court ruling.

Although sometimes the words are "kiss the boer" everyone knows what is meant and the gun hand signals remain.

Interestingly another ANCYL member has changed the words slightly to “dubula lekgoa” (shoot the white).and was singing this to students at Wits prior to a lecture to be given by Malema on economic freedom.

He repeatedly added the words “dubula lekgoa” (shoot the white). When asked to explain what he meant, Nhlapo said: “I have the right not to comment. I choose not to say what I meant.”

BUT, the number of reported - NOTE, reported rapes, rose from 55,097 to 56,272! Cannot get my head around this.

Mmmmm "reported rapes" a cop friend of mine was telling me that since they were told to get the stats looking better many of the stations refuse to accept statements on rape unless the person reporting them can give the name of the person/people concerned, provide the evidence of it being rape and preferably bring the suspects in to the police station. I won't even get into the issues of kiddy rape which is also a major issue under reported and largely un-prosecuted for a variety of reasons.

Yep there is being nit-picky and complaining about where we live that it OTT (e.g. its raining today in Melbourne - after the 30C yesterday what a pain) and there is being nit-picky that is not OTT (e.g. I am scared to live in a house without major security because my neighbour was brutally murdered the other day).

Crime cannot always be managed in South Africa - sometimes (all too often) it comes and hits you when you can't "manage" for it.

TamD, do you feel better now? :lol::P

Hi TamD. An article in The Herald 8 September 2011 had latest stats...

SA murder rate drops - rape still a problem.(You don't say!)

Murder rates dropped by 6.5 percent to 15,940 murders in 2010/11. Now remember, those are just

the one's that are reported!! What? Almost 16,000 murders!! And how many times do we hear of bodies being found, missing people? So many are never reported.

BUT, the number of reported - NOTE, reported rapes, rose from 55,097 to 56,272! Cannot get my head around this.

Pick, pick, pick, as you say? yes, people will always find fault, with where they choose to live, but better than it finding you.

You cannot possibly compare South Africa to Perth, or the UK, NZ or where ever! It is not a case of nitpicking

but just pure logic, and most of us who left SA, do not want our children or ourselves to be one of

the above stats! BTW, do you have children? Because if you do, you should be so grateful to have them out of SA, I know of many families with kids who simply cannot leave, and they would be so appreciative to be able to give their children a better/safer start in life.

E

Well said Orion. I had a whole post typed out here and decided not to post.

TamD I think you need to take a chill pill and don't be so mean. As a newbie here (like I am) I think u need to just take a step back and not be so rude.

People like Southern Man, Get over yourselves!! You moved away that was your choice!! So if you have nothing nice to say dont say it!!! Life there is not THAT bad!!!

HI TamD,

Just a thought, maybe you need to take a little of your own advice?

Sobering my ass!!!

This guy is nitpicking and trying to find every little possible thing wrong that he can!!

I think he is just bitter because he got mugged. People get mugged every where all the time. In Perth people get mugged a lot!!! I have friends in the UK that were mugged, my dad got mugged on the tube!! Maybe Southern Man's gone a bit soft since he moved to NZ cause in SA we all walk around looking over our shoulders (literally) and on alert 24/7 which helps us avoid bad situations. Not a good way to live but it becomes ingrained. I would imagine when you move to NZ you get used to being safe (not a bad thing) and you forget how to take precautions.

Also locals warn eachother of crime 'hot spots' strange you were the only one walking there, maybe because the locals know its not the place to walk. (just saying)

Yes I know crime in SA is bad blah blah blah its all the people on this SA Australia website go on about all the time. When I lived in SA (and I didnt plan to leave we only left because of a really good job offer, I can get a british passport but never even bothered that is how much I was not interested in leaving SA) crime was something we managed by being really careful. It is a good lifestyle at price like Southern man said, some choose to pay and some choose to leave.

Everything is more expensive in SA?? DUHH!! Thanks for your great insight Southern man, we are in a world wide recesssion everything everywhere is more expensive. People in Perth are taking out loans to pay their electricity bills and complaining that everything has gone up!

Unemployment is up in SA, again DUHH unemployment is up world wide not just in SA.

I know loads of people that use the Gautrain and love the Gautrain, so why make some nasty comment about 'your children and grandchildren that will be paying for it'. You used it and it and it was cheaper than a taxi so stop whining about it!! SA really got something right with the Gautrain and you were probably only one of 4 people because you were riding it at an off-peak time.

Yep SA is a tip, so is Perth. I thought I was coming to a clean country, naa its not that clean here. Most places arent very clean, too many uneducated idiots that like to litter, they seem to be everywhere. Apparently even Singapore where you are fined for littering there is litter (or so I read in an article I havent been there so I cant verify that)

So if where you stay in NZ is super clean then be glad because it would seem you are rather lucky!!

OK and the other comments.....

South Africans walk really slowly?? (OMG thats too terrible!!)

No one helped you with your bag at the airport??? Get over it you live in NZ who helps you with your bag at the airport in NZ?? You didnt tip the guy at the airport so maybe he learned a lesson!!

and if you checked the news lately Malema is no longer allowed to sing the kill the boer song.

coming up soon we all get a day off in Australia........for the queens birthday! how lame is that?? Lamer than a day off to vote that is for sure!!

Pick Pick Pick ....... we can all pick pick pick and find stuff wrong with where we stay!! Or we can all look at the good stuff that we love, like loads of South Africans that live in South Africa do. You wanted to leave that was your choice but then dont go back and be a nitpicker and broadcast all your petty complaints to all and sundry!!!

I have met Australians who have been to SA and thought it was the fabbest place ever, I was expecting them to say the crime, the litter, the slow walking people......nope they said the beaches, the lost city, sandton city, Kruger..its lovely. One lady had even done volunteer work in Khayelitsha before twice!!

It really bugs me how so many expats smugly look down on South Africa and proclaim doom upon her adn its like they're rubbing their hands together just waiting for it to happen. It sickens me how they love to dig holes and point fingers at every possible opportunity. They make like its a complete hell hole!!! I have many friends in SA who are quite happy there and would never leave, I have many friends and acquaintances from overseas who live in South Africa and they love it, they CHOSE to leave first world countries to live in South Africa.

People like Southern Man, Get over yourselves!! You moved away that was your choice!! So if you have nothing nice to say dont say it!!! Life there is not THAT bad!!!

Hi EricaC

How are you enjoying Tauranga?????

Hope that you are managing to keep those possums at bay...down there in the Bay of Plenty..

Enjoy!

Manny

Lol! I have not yet come across possums, not sure if that is a good thing or not?? But, have seen my first NZ Alpaca, my take on this......your roo's are WAY cuter!! :D

E

Howzit guys. Thanks Orion25 for posting link! All good this end, thanks Manny, hope you too are well! But We, like most, are just waiting the arrival of spring, so we can dust off the trusty barbie :rolleyes:

Yes, what a fantastic read, during winter, one sometimes get's a little homesick....like I mentioned, these articles tend to hit reality, and he does add a bit of humour to it... ;) even getting mugged and going through a near stabbing. But I have to give him his due - SA Woolies does still have the best flipping roast chicken in the world, and of course awesome wine in SA! Sadly, that is no help to ones safety........

Go well all!

E

I found this read very sobering! For those who have a little homesickness.....please google......

southern man - thoughts from south africa

We, as South Africans can be so very grateful for getting the chance to start afresh in 1st World Countries....like OZ, Canada, NZ etc.....

I too, like many of my wonderful SA friends in OZ and here in NZ get homesick from time to time....this article hits home

and my homesickness vanishes as fast as it came.

(sorry, could not get link for this)

E

Hi EricaC

How are you enjoying Tauranga?????

Hope that you are managing to keep those possums at bay...down there in the Bay of Plenty..

Enjoy!

Manny

Archived