Low Flying Landing In Brisbane September 2011 ...

Wings

HI will be landing in brisbane beg. september (found out we were leaving mid-June ... packed house up, haven't sold SA house yet but coming anyway!!!) my husband has been there for 2 months! House rented in Samford Valley - :ilikeit: container landing 2 mths later? :thumbdown: Schools etc. to be visited ( anyone know of good schools in this area?) ... any information on how best to settle down quickly - kids are 11, 9 and 7 so need to hit the ground running!!! Heads up for potential problems would be great ... :unsure: If you detect a sense of desperation ... you are on the right track!!!!

HI will be landing in brisbane beg. september (found out we were leaving mid-June ... packed house up, haven't sold SA house yet but coming anyway!!!) my husband has been there for 2 months! House rented in Samford Valley - :ilikeit: container landing 2 mths later? :thumbdown: Schools etc. to be visited ( anyone know of good schools in this area?) ... any information on how best to settle down quickly - kids are 11, 9 and 7 so need to hit the ground running!!! Heads up for potential problems would be great ... :unsure: If you detect a sense of desperation ... you are on the right track!!!!

Hi wings, I am from Brisbane and I would say you should just relax but that's easy for me to say :) Brisbane is a very suburban, family orientated place and Samford is a nice quiet place though quite far from the city.

For settling advice I would guess:

- For making friends accept most invitations that come your way, you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince.

- Accept that you will not know the cheapest place to buy things, what brands are what etc...don't sweat it, give it time. I would say ask a local not just SA friends as they often don't know everywhere either until quite a few years of living here.

- Having school age children makes mixing far easier.

- If possible, volunteer. Volunteering for things is popular here so join in.

- Use the web to search for child friendly things...there is so many great child orientated activities.

Here is some child friendly ideas you may enjoy that I posted on another forum:

Brisbane is surrounded by nice green countryside, mountains, islands and beach resorts so always plenty of day trip options.

We have have a 6yo (and a newborn) and if staying in or around Brisbane we might:

- go for a bike ride along the river (he gets towed behind me)

river bikeways

- go to southbank for a swim

southbank

- have breakfast at one of our favourite cafe's or try out a new one - most of them are pretty child friendly.

cafe

breathing space - indooroopilly

- go to the park - there are lots of great parks

New Farm Park playground in the trees

Kids Water park

Redcliffe Lagoon

- visit GOMA, qld museum, southbank etc (they have child activities)

goma and kids activities

qld museum

- grab an icecream - we do lots of that :)

cold rock

- Grab breakfast and people watch or shop at the markets

west end markets

northey street markets

ride the citycats - he likes that

Citycat (public transport)

visit mt cootha 8 km west of the city

mt cootha lookout

mt cootha lookout

mt cootha botanical gardens and planetarium

escape to the mountains behind Brisbane, Gold and sunshine Coasts:

oreillys

As locals we get cheap entry into theme parks (at the moment it is $110 for entry to 3 theme parks for a whole year)

seaworld

wiggles at dreamworld

kids stuff at movie world

wet and wild

Brisbane's large islands:

Moreton Island

North Stradbroke Island (Straddie)

South Stradbroke Island

Bribie Island

With the daytime weather average 20c+ all year round you can use all these outdoor things right through winter as well.

Thanks - you are a star ... have been running around like a headless chicken closing up our life in SA and trying to keep us all 'sanish!' until we get there ...

Hi wings, I am from Brisbane and I would say you should just relax but that's easy for me to say :) Brisbane is a very suburban, family orientated place and Samford is a nice quiet place though quite far from the city.

For settling advice I would guess:

- For making friends accept most invitations that come your way, you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince.

- Accept that you will not know the cheapest place to buy things, what brands are what etc...don't sweat it, give it time. I would say ask a local not just SA friends as they often don't know everywhere either until quite a few years of living here.

- Having school age children makes mixing far easier.

- If possible, volunteer. Volunteering for things is popular here so join in.

- Use the web to search for child friendly things...there is so many great child orientated activities.

Hi!

We are in Everton Hills - close to Samford and we LOVE the area...

The Albany creek state school is close to you - I have heard wonderful things of that school. Beste is maar om 'n lys op te stel van potensiele skole en hulle te gaan besoek. Mens kry mos maar 'n gevoel vir 'n plek...

Baie sterkte - laat weet as jy hier is dan kuier ons!! My kids is 3 en 6.

• 1 month later...

thx for all the advice and tips ... much appreciated! have landed with a bump and trying to set up life ... but SOOOO HAPPY to be here!!!!!!! :)

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We love it here too :ilikeit:

Pm me if you want to meet some time for coffee.

Archived