Things to do in Adelaide

alanb

Hi all,

My wife, parents in law and I are going to be in Adelaide over easter and would love to hear some suggestions of must do/see.

We are thinking of spending a day and night in Adelaide itself and then progressing outwards to the wine areas. Any recommendations?

Is the Central Market worth a visit?

Is Kangaroo Island worth a visit?

How far is the airport from the city? (Trying to decide whether we should let in-laws cab it into town or fetch them :D )

Thanks

Alan

Hi all,

My wife, parents in law and I are going to be in Adelaide over easter and would love to hear some suggestions of must do/see.

We are thinking of spending a day and night in Adelaide itself and then progressing outwards to the wine areas. Any recommendations?

Is the Central Market worth a visit?

Is Kangaroo Island worth a visit?

How far is the airport from the city? (Trying to decide whether we should let in-laws cab it into town or fetch them :D )

Thanks

Alan

There are two major wine areas, The Barrossa (to the north) and the McLarenvale Area to the south.

There are organised tours servicing both areas or you could make your own arrangements. Some are quite well appointed, but don't expect Boland-style wine estates such as Nederburgh, Groot Constantia, Blaauwklippen, Dieu Donne etc.

The Upside of McLarenvale is that its also close to Aldinga Beach and Sellics beach as well as on your way to Victor Harbour with all the things to do there, e.g. Granite Island

There is also a tourist/wildlife park about 8 - 10 km out of Vicror Harbour. The Greenhills Recreation Park is also in that area - kids love the place.

The upside of Barrossa is that it is close to some great attractions in the Hills area, such as The Wooden Horse Toy Factory & Curios, The Birdwood Car Museum (a must for car enthusiasts), and some quaint villages such as Lobethal, there is a chocolate factory (near Balhannah, I think) as well as Hahndorf, a whole town that turns into a flea market especially on the Weekends.

The city is about 15 - 20 minutes by car from the airport.

Central market is basically a fresh produce market as well as a range of cheap clothes artifacts and curious.

If you are into great scenery, wildlife etc. then you will love Kangaroo Island, but beware, you would want to go there in one of its peak times. Try to book overnight accomodation (might be too late already) or just take your car over on the ferry for a day trip.

Cheers,

Dax :lol:

Depends on what they like. I would definitely go up to Mount Lofty for the views over the city. Mount Lofty botanical gardens is also well worth a visit. If you want to see and cuddle some local wildlife, go to Cleland Wildlife park, or for a really authentic wildlife experience do a sunset guided walk around Warrawong sanctuary. This is in the hills area near Stirling. I would definitely go for a drive around Stirling, Aldgate and Hahndorf and surrounds. Beware though, because you might get stuck in the little shops there all day if you're not careful. Strathalbyn is also just fantastic for a quaint little Scottish settlement with fantatic antique and art shops. If you do go to the Mclaren Vale, a platter of fresh local produce at Woodstock winery's restaurant is a must. The setting is very beautiful, among the trees. In the city, the Art Gallery and Museum are both excellent and free. Also the botanical gardens. The central market is certainly interesting, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it on only a one night visit. It's nice to stroll along the Torrens river by the festival centre and maybe take the Popeye boat cruise. You can also catch the free shuttle bus into North Adelaide across the rivier. That's very nice with boutique-type shops and lovely restaurants and cafes. You can visit St Peter's cathedral as well. If you do want to stay overnight, my personal opinion is that it's more worth driving out to the Clare Valley further north from the Barossa. Barossa is only an hour away from Adelaide, not really an overnight trip in my opinion. The kangaroo island ferry is extremely expensive, so we haven't been there, but it's certainly worth a drive down the west coast to Cape Jervis, then down to Victor Harbour for a walk (or take the horse-drawn tram)over to Granite Island. If you have a 4x4, Deep Creek Conservation park is an absolute must between Victor Harbour and Cape Jervis. Stunning scenery with lots of wild kangaroos.... Also worth a drive is further along the coast to Goolwa, then across the bridge to Hindmarsh island and go and see the mouth of the rivier Murray. That's quite something to see and the birdlife is just something else.

The airport is very close to the city. A cab will cost about $20 into the city. Where are you staying?

Good luck :D

Edited by Annette

Thanks so much for the comprehensive replies guys. You've really given me something to work with.

Annette, I had a look at the ferry fares. Holy smokes, it is expensive!

Alan

I'd be tempted to take a stroll thro' Morialta Conservation Park one morning. There are three waterfalls, each requiring a bit of grunt to get to the each of the falls, but well worth it. You may see koalas asleep in the gum trees if you keep a sharp look out!

Another, easier walk would be Waterfall Gully in Burnside / Beaumont.

I drive up to Skye in the late evening after sunset is to see the lights of Adelaide in all their glory. Many overseas airline pilots used to think that Adelaide had one of the prettiest "lights' of all.

You can also see them at Mt. Lofty, but since I used to frequent the spot in the late 1970s, you now have to pay, I believe, in daylight hours.

The Central Market is a covered market with all the stalls and produce for sale. There are eating stalls for lunch and tea-time.

A trip to the east end of Rundle Street is not to be missed. There are pubs, some great restaurants and other attractions.

Take the wife out for a great meal . . . Italian, Turkish, Lebanese, whatever.

Glenelg is worth seeing, but best by tram.

Take your car into the southern part of Adelaide and park for a few hours. Take the tram to Glenelg. That way, you can take in all the shops and restaurants of the beachside and see where the first settlers to South Australia landed. Go for lunch as the restaurants are top class on Jetty Road. If you want South African cuisine, find "Elsie's" as a place to eat.

Take a drive thro' the Adelaide hills. Follow the South Eastern Freeway to Melbourne and turn off at Stirling and walk thro the township. Next drive thro' Aldgate and on to Balhannah and Lobethal, coming back to Adelaide via Tea Tree Gully in the north eastern suburbs with its enormous shopping centre with a couple of hundred shops open till 9pm on thursdays.

On the way, take a detour to Cleland Conservation Park to see dingos and koalas, as well as kangaroos and wallabies in 5 acre paddocks where they graze unmolested.

The Barossa Valley . . . named after one of the early explorers thought it reminded him of the Barossa in Spain when he was fighting with the Duke of Wellington against Napoleon in the Iberian Peninsular Wars of 1812-1813.

Here you can sample many wineries . . . . Jacob's Creek, Seppelt's, Yalumba, Grant Burge, to name a few . . . . and take a bottle home.

Call in at the "nosh shop" on the main street of Nuriootpa for a slap-up feed costing next to nothing.

Drive to the southern suburbs of Adelaide to see the Noarlunga Jetty and eat fish and chips off the end, if the day's stinking hot. The cool sea breeze and smell of vinegar on the chips will do wonders!

See the McLaren Vale area with its almond trees and wineries. Sample no end of wine varieties and eat at a take-away there.

A trip to Victor Harbour is a day trip to see the southern coast and take it easy. You can ride the horse drawn tram over to Granite Is.

Drive to the southern suburbs of Adelaide to see the Noarlunga Jetty and eat fish and chips off the end, if the day's stinking hot. The cool sea breeze and smell of vinegar on the chips will do wonders!
Bob,

Such a pity I didn't know about this when we visited Adelaide! Nowhere in Aus have I been able to find 'slap' (floppy and soft) chips with vinegar on! I just love a packet of slap chips with vinegar on a fresh slice of buttered bread. Almost like a British chipbuttie. Will have to experience this next time!

SAS

Thanks a lot Bob. You have all given me quite a bit to work from, pity we are not coming for a week or two.

SAS, I had forgotten all about the chips on buttered bread thing. I think ill have to try that tonight. Really good, but really bad for you. ;) I have also not found good old slap chips here yet. Vinegar on chips does not seem to be an option up here in Townsville. You can have salt or chicken salt and buy some ketchup if you like and thats about it. We bring ours home and smother them in vinegar. Man Im getting hungry........