Bonus points for PR

hanneskn

Hi everyone,

has anyone used the 5 points for 100,000.00 $AU? By when do they want the money? How much does it cost to get the money over? Which payment methods can one use.

H.

We didn't do that option but did enquire about it.

According to the info we got, you would need to deposit the money within 28 days from getting the notification from your case officer to do so, and they will give you a list of the banks you can choose to invest it with.

Pam

Hi H

If you look at this thread there is some discussion about the AUD100 000 bond. The only forum member I know of who went this route is MOM. They are in Perth now and everything seemed to be relatively seamless, so perhaps you could chat with her.

Good luck with the application

Cindylou

Thanks everyone,

We hope to get 5 points for the Afrikaans thing but if that falls through we'll have to do the 100,00$AU thing.

is it possable to do it like that? Would DIMMA allow us to choose another 5 point option?

Regards,

H

Thanks everyone,

We hope to get 5 points for the Afrikaans thing but if that falls through we'll have to do the 100,00$AU thing.

is it possable to do it like that? Would DIMMA allow us to choose another 5 point option?

Regards,

H

Hi, there

We went the investment route after the case officer enquired as to whether we wanted to apply for extra points as we only had 115. I'm sure if the Afrikaans route fails you can indicate to him/ her that you would like to make the investment. You just can't do 2 at the same time and claim 10 points, as I'm sure you know.

As other members have said, the investment only occurs at the very end of the whole process (in our case 14 months after lodging the application) and you have 28 days after receiving the request to do it. We did it electronically with our bank at a cost of about R500, but this will depend on your bank. You will also need a SARS clearance certificate to make the off-shore investment (takes about a week if all of your taxes are paid up so you might want to anticipate this if you do choose this route). The investments are in state bonds. The service on the Ozz side is very professional and organised and our investment was easy to make.

Let me know if you have any other questions and GOOD LUCK!!

Elize

Hi Elize,

Thanks for the info. I see that one can invest in any of the Territories / states. Is there a differance between the various states / territories? Must one contact them directly or does it get done by the case officer?

Hannes.

Hi, there

We went the investment route after the case officer enquired as to whether we wanted to apply for extra points as we only had 115. I'm sure if the Afrikaans route fails you can indicate to him/ her that you would like to make the investment. You just can't do 2 at the same time and claim 10 points, as I'm sure you know.

As other members have said, the investment only occurs at the very end of the whole process (in our case 14 months after lodging the application) and you have 28 days after receiving the request to do it. We did it electronically with our bank at a cost of about R500, but this will depend on your bank. You will also need a SARS clearance certificate to make the off-shore investment (takes about a week if all of your taxes are paid up so you might want to anticipate this if you do choose this route). The investments are in state bonds. The service on the Ozz side is very professional and organised and our investment was easy to make.

Let me know if you have any other questions and GOOD LUCK!!

Elize

Hey Hannes,

You would contact them for a pack. They e-mail the information to you. There were small variances in interest rates offered at the time we invested. We decided to go with the Western Australia state bonds.

You invest the money for a period of 12 months and get interest payments every 6 months. You should also register for a Tax file number when you get here and supply that to the nominated bond. You can do that on the internet. The whole process was pretty painless.

Just a mention, you can only prove the bonuspoints for Afrikaans if the main visa applicant can prove that his/her degree was done in Afrikaans. You can tell them that you would like to make the investment if the Afrikaans thing fails.

Regards,

xs

Hi Elize,

Thanks for the info. I see that one can invest in any of the Territories / states. Is there a differance between the various states / territories? Must one contact them directly or does it get done by the case officer?

Hannes.

Hi, Hannes

As xs mentioned, there're could be some minor differences in the interest rate. We also invested in Western Australia. You have to arrange everything yourself directly with the state treasury corporation - it is all very easy- but the DIMA does give you an internet link to info on the investment options in the letter of request to invest. You can only make the investment once you have been requested to do so by your case officer and we had to submit the letter of request with our investment application.

Once the investment has been made, they forward a form to your case officer confirming that the investment has been made.

Regards,

Elize