Over The Counter Meds - What Can Be Taken

Southern Right

I am trying to use up my medical aid while I am still in South Africa (we are due to leave in exactly 2 months time) and I -would like to know if I can take over-the counter meds with me on the plane? I'm thinking of anything that I don't need a prescription for, e.g. painkillers, Dettol, anti-inflammatories, etc. Just thought I could stock up while I have the funds available. I know what the rules are for prescription meds, can anyone help with the non-prescription meds rules? :unsure:

We brought Myprodol, BioPlus sachets and herbal tablets. We declared all of it and had no problem. (They did not even look at the medicines but had us unpack our bags for large beads I had on the curtains - thinking it was diamonds!! :lol::lol::lol: )

The best would be to go to your GP and ask him to give you a prescription for everything you want to take

with you. Then take a copy of the prescription with you on the plane.

And just declare everything you have on you that you are not sure of. Then you will be OK.

I agree - we also brought over tons of otc meds - as long as you declare it, you should be ok...

We had a great relationship with our chemist in SA - and they can print a slip for you - I don't mean the till slip, but it looks like a prescription slip (ask the chemist). Just tell them you are going overseas - I am sure they'll be able to help. Also - they are strict on codeine, but as I said - they didn't even check our meds. I just showed them the prescriptions (was a whole stack of papers :lol: ) and they just said it's ok....

Good luck!!

We brought over one suitcase full of prescription and over the counter meds, declared it all (2 A4 pages long) and had no problem.

What airline are u using

We are flying with Malaysia Airlines. Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

Barb take as much as you can! I took a WHOLE suitcase full of meds. Over the counter and prescription. Only had a script for some of the prescribed meds

All I did was declare on the incoming card that we had meds and they did not even look or check it. Nothing!

I had Formula, tea, protein shake and then a whole case full of meds with me...

The rule always applies - DECLARE.. Mark it on the little card and you won't have a problem :ilikeit:

just declare it and it should be fine - to be save i would put it in the container or at the very least in your check in baggage - remember restrictions apply on hand luggage (all containers must be no more than 100ml each - and a total apply per person as wel). Remember to pack them properly as the air pressure make them leak...(plastic bag within plastic bag within plastic bag)

E

Thanks everyone, this has been most helpful :ilikeit:

Archived