Bacchus Marsh Or Sunbury

stefaansie

Hi Everyone

We are currently in NZ. Have been here for nearly 18 years. My husband is itching to move to Oz. First choice is Melbourne, although there is no way in hell that I am living "in" MB. I have been researching towns around MB esp on the west and north west. Reviews for Bacchus Marsh are very good. Better than Sunbury & Milton. My one prerequisite is a Christian school for my kids. Wherever we are DH will have to travel by train to the CBD.

My biggest question is: is there anyone on here who lives in Bacchus Marsh who can tell me more about it? I know some people in Sunbury already so that isn't such an issue, although any input would be appreciated.

TIA

As you already have information on Sunbury from the people you know, I guess there is not much I can add. For me, given the choice, I would choose Sunbury over Bacchus Marsh or Melton any day.

Info on Bacchus Marsh

http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/living-in-victoria/melbourne-and-regional-victoria/west-victoria/bacchus-marsh

Info on Sunbury

http://localvoices.realestate.com.au/victoria/sunbury/review

Mara, why do you prefer Sunbury?? Any input is appreciated.

Have you looked at Eynesbury? It is a golf course Estate...WAY better than Bacchus Marsh! I'm looking at a Christian school for my daughter and there is Heathdale Christian College about 20 minutes drive, and I think there is a Christian one near Melton. It's a 10 minute drive to the station to get the V-line, and I think there is currently a shuttle from Eynesbury to the station.

It is just beautiful and has a real community feel to it, which we love. Sort of a country town but with everything new. It borders a forest and has a lovely relaxed feel about it! Also very good house and land package prices!

PM me if you like.

When I look up Eynesbury on Google Earth, there is nothing there. Just farmland. Is it brand new??

HeeHee, yes. The golf course is there and there are about 50 houses already built with people living there.

Look at their website and it should help you: http://www.eynesbury.com.au/

The thing with getting people's opinion's is just that, they are people opinions. So everyone's view is different and eveyone has different priorities.

A couple of things that convinced us to buy in Eynesbury: they are very family/ community focused, they have class "A" recycled water which means green gardens and clean cars all year round! They have fibre optic for the really fast internet, the houses are big and all on big plots of land so it gives you that open kind of feel. Driving through the forest to get there actually makes you relax...we found we literally "breathe out" when we head out there.

My husband will always work in the city so he will catch the V-line every day and the commute won't be much longer than from where we are now (Point Cook).

No particular reason, but I have lived in Sunbury for 7 years and the village atmosphere is what appeals to me. Also it is in a wine region, plenty of wine farms around us. I just like it here, feels like you are living in deep country. Sunbury is not built on the "flaktes" there are plenty of rolling hills, which makes it look that much more interesting.

I thought I replied to this post, but it got lost in...

Anyway ..what I said was that I really like bacchus marsh..have a bit of a soft spot for it..they have strawberry picking...are know for their ciders and also have a more rural/country town feel...there is bacchus marsh grammer which has an excellent reputation..there is even a speacial bus from point cook taking students to that school..

Hubby and I often go to Bacchus for day trips..hiking in the lederderg ranges also beautiful..."Back to Bacchus" has the best parma ive had for a princely sum of $12.50.

Tha being said I think sunbury also has a charm to it...both have a more relaced atmosphere..I also recommended eyensbury in my previous post (you lucky fish michelle!).

I think when you arrive best you drive through a few places and then decide...we stay in point cook at the moment and enrolled our child in the lumen christi catholic school...hubby takes the normal metro train to the cbd..now takes him 35 minutes..easy peasy...lots of new shops popping up etc

Good luck with the househunt!

Double post alert ! double post alert!! seems I did reply to the carbon copy of this post...sorry ..havnt had me morning coffee yet!

MichelleO, How/where do you catch the train into the CBD if you are in the "middle of nowhere" in Eyenesbury?? Drive then train??

MichelleO, How/where do you catch the train into the CBD if you are in the "middle of nowhere" in Eyenesbury?? Drive then train??

Yeah, look we have only just bought land there so our house will only be completed end of next year. That said, we have researched our butts off on the area!

My hubby will drive to the station at Melton or Rockbank (both 10 mins from inside Eynesbury) and then catch the V-line train straight into the city. Once Eynesbury has more residents I think the council will introduce a bus route but obviously they need enough people to make it viable. From what i've read there is currently a shuttle that goes from Eynesbury to the station, not sure of times etc though.

The council seems good, they gave the Eynesbury playgroup a $2500 grant to get started recently!

Melton also has a nice little shopping centre (10 mins drive) and Bacchus Marsh is the same distance away (though I felt the kids looked a bit questionable in that area so wouldn't choose to live there). Just MY opinion though!

Eynesbury has a school just up the road (Exford Primary) and it will be moving onto the Estate in about 2014, there will also be a town centre, doctors etc.

I'm going to just chip in here with some info on Eynesbury, just for info's sake, and not to convince anyone to move there.

The land is a lot cheaper than Point Cook and most other areas. Not only is it cheaper, but the plots in the areas away from the planned Town Center are larger. A +-550m^2 plot in Point Cook will set you back over 300k, in Eynesbury, you could get that for 170k.

The plan submitted to council is to build 4500 homes. That's a small town. There are going to be around a dozen parks, sporting ovals, equestrian center with polo fields (planned...). There is currently an 18-hole golf course. As Michelle mentioned, there will be a Town Center, as well as the school moving in (planned location is like 200m from our house). There are walkways all around the golf course which is so nice to walk on.

Now, things to be very much aware of before you run off to buy there. It is going to be one massive Community Association, i.e. a very, very big Body Corporate. This is done to ensure that every house built maintains certain qualities. Every house must have a front patio for example. Your house has to be 1.5m from each side fence, and 5m from the front edge of your property. The facades of the 14 allowed builders all have to be approved. There are no antenna or satelite dishes allowed - everything is provided via FTTH (fibre to the home). No cats - we border a nature reserve. There is specific list of what plants you are allowed to have - environmentally safe. All houses that have their yards facing the golf course have to have low fences and maintain a certain facade.

So yes, it's got rules... but this is Australia. The best part is, we're quite sure that at least 90% of the people living in Eynesbury will be owners. And because it is a body corporate that you pay towards, all the common property will be nicely looked after.

Both times that we've driven around, there have been kids playing with balls in the streets. As of November 2010, there were 450 or so members of the body corporate already (or so the minutes say).

Even if you're not going to buy there, go take a look.

-G

We currently live in Caroline Springs about 20 minutes from Bacchus Marsh and had a look at both areas recently. My daughter got accepted to Bacchus Marsh Grammar to start high school next year. We have decided to move to Bacchus Marsh as it is a beautifull place and has a country feeling to it. The houses and land are also more affordable. A New estate is also being developed, Stonehill estate as there is a lot of development more West. By train it will take about 45 minutes to the CBD and this is the same as my husband travels with the car to the station and then on the train.

Sunbury is also a developing town and the properties are also reasonable. There is a great small Christian School in Sunbury, Red Rock Christian school but they don't have high school - Year 7 yet. Bacchus Marsh Grammar is a non-denomination school based on Christian Principles and because it goes to Year 12 we applied there. Heathdale Christian school also sounds like a good school and I know two of the teachers there.

We also looked at Eynesbury and it is a lovely estate that is still developing, but even if we lived there I still would have to send my daughter to Bacchus Marsh grammar for high school due to the closest school not having High school.

I think a big question is if you are going to buy a house immediately or if you are going to rent. I don't think you can rent in Eynesbury yet.

Also important is that Sunbury is bigger and has most of the stores, where Bacchus Marsh is smaller and only has limited number of the chain stores.

Hope this helps.

Ronell

Archived