Student visa

Jacques8

Hi All

My name is Jacques and I live in Secunda South Africa. I am looking to apply for a Student visa. I need help. I am trying to figure out how the procedure works. What is required from me. Tests, Papers, anything?

Is it possible to study at Open Universities Australia, which is done through the post? Can I get a Student Visa studying at OUA or does it have to b at a College or University.

Any Information would be appreciated.

Thnx guys.

Njoy

Jakes

Hi Jacques

If I understand you correctly you are actually trying to move to Aus to study?

I cannot see why they would give you a Visa to study at Open Universities, as you can do it from SA.

I would suggest the first thing you do is check how much it is going to cost you to study at an Australian University/College as a foreign student, it is extremely expensive.

Once you have decided that you can afford to do so, you will have to apply to the university/college for entrance and if you gain entrance, then use that acknowledgement to apply for a visa. Please understand that this will only be a temporary student visa.

Mara is right about the fees for International Students : my son paid $9 000 a year!! :) (and we still had to buy all kinds of stuff he needed for his studies which were not included in the fees..... :ilikeit: ) Also, the courses available to International students are very limited...... :D Your accommodation in a backpacker hostel will cost you $6 500 a year and does not include any food, laundry costs, transport etc and you share a room & bathroom facilities. Food, transport etc will cost you about $4 000 a year. Then you haven't yet had a beer with your mates or a night out at the local club....... :ilikeit: With an International Student Visa, you will be allowed to find casual employment but may not work more than 20 hours a week. At an avg rate of $13 per hour, that will help you out with $13 520 per year. You will need at least another $6 000 saved up - or sponsored by your parents - to make it in Australia as an International student. I'm not trying to discourage you - I'm simply stating the facts. :( On the brighter side: heaps of International students make it in Australia, and nothing should stop you from doing the same! :D

I dropped my 18 year old daughter, Heidi, off at the University of Newcastle on the weekend.

I knew that a number of overseas students were on campus there, as I spoke to one young bloke from America who was doing his 3rd year in Aeronautical Engineering.

I found out later, that while Ginnie and I were body surfing at the main Newcastle beach, he was one of the half dozen or so hang-gliders that I saw over the cliff tops on sunday arvo.

It seems that Australia is a favourite destination for American and Canadian students to "round off" their degrees, and 150 from the U.S. and Canada are at the Univ of Nexcastle this year, let alone the students from Asia.

Heidi has since mentioned that she's come across another couple of girls, both from America, that she spoke to and mentioned that she was three months in Wisconsin last year.

International Students pay something like A$19 000 a year for their courses, + accomodation and living expenses.

The student visa does allow you to work during holidays, weekends, etc. and earn up to A$20 000 a year, I believe.

If you've got a rich uncle, now's the time to get in sweet with him, because once you graduate from an Australian University, it's relatively easy to get a permanent residence visa from what I understand.

Edited by Bob

It is possible to study in Australia and then apply for permanent residence afterwards provided you have a relevant occupation and can meet the pass mark, however it is rumoured that changes may occur in July that increase the difficulty for certain applicants to obtain PR without relevant work experience. It is advised that students bear these possible changes in mind in order to avoid disappointment following graduation.

Jaques, I'd be happy to offer a free initial assessment if it would help- my email is fionacarre[at]optusnet[dot]com[dot]au.

Kind regards,

Fiona Carre

Registered Migration Agent

Gold Coast, Australia