Windows To Mac Support Group

Riekie

I went from Windows to Mac a few weeks ago and I'm still no further than figuring out my desktop, keyboard and mouse.... :blush: Slowly but surely I'm getting there, and I thought I could not possibly be the only Windows user who changed over to Mac and there might be forumites out there going throught the same frustrations. For starters, a mouse is not a mouse. There's the usual mouse, the 4 button mouse, the no button mouse, the mighty mouse, the smart mouse..... And they all work differently! My mouse (the smart mouse) was not set up with a right click, and I almost threw the mouse with the Mac through the window with frustration! :stretcher: I now firgured out that you can change the mouse settings to allow right clicks, but not without a big struggle.

Hendie kindly helped me getting the ^ on the e - thanks Hendie! :ilikeit:

I'm using the email program of the Mac and can not find the spell checker. It does check it allright (underlining my mistakes in red like my grade 1 teacher) but does not offer suggestions to alternative spelling or grammar. There's no "spell check" button or icon anywhere in the mail program. Can someone help with this one please?

I bought a Magazine: "Move to Mac" and although I'm still working my way through it, I already found it very helpful with all those questions which drove me nuts the past few weeks. Once I'm more able to talk with authority on the Mac, I'll post my tips, but for now, I'll be an "asker"... :holy:

I went from Windows to Mac a few weeks ago and I'm still no further than figuring out my desktop, keyboard and mouse.... :blush:

Well, the next version of windows could be radically different from current windows. Its designed to be more of an "in and out" type scenario, like with a netbook or cellphone. For example .. you start it up your pc, have a quick look at a summary screen to see the new tweets, facebook updates, etc... then a quick check of saaustralia.org and you switch off.

So, maybe now is a good time to bite the bullet and move to Mac? either way... good luck!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Riekie

I just made the move about 2 weeks ago, read the same magazine, it is a very helpfull one.

I have to say I found the move pretty easy so far, but then I work in IT and have a fair bit of experience setting up Linux (Ubuntu) machines as well which are closer to Mac. Still I'm finding the new machine amazingly well engineered, as so many of my collegues told me, stuff just works :-)

I like the Spotlight search that gives me a categorized list of items it finds including a dictionary definition :-)

I've even managed to connect from my Mac to my Dell Laptop (via my Network at home) happy to help if I can.

Have you tried the "MacTalk.com.au" website, they have a pretty clued up forum as well.

Good luck and enjoy it, it's fun and gets better all the time ...Roll on LION :-) (latest version on Mac OS coming very soon)

O, One more thing, I got iWorks, which is very nice (not perfect for me, but good enough) many people recommend MS-Office for Mac, which comes with Outlook (if you don't like the Mac Mail client) don't chuck it before you see the 'LION' version most reviewers have been very,very happy so far.

Joseph

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Riekie

Just wondered if you made the move to LION ... yet. I did it like 2nd day it was out and am generally very impressed :-)

Hey all you other MAC users on SAAustralia, how's your experience been?

Hi Riekie

Just wondered if you made the move to LION ... yet. I did it like 2nd day it was out and am generally very impressed :-)

Hey all you other MAC users on SAAustralia, how's your experience been?

At the moment bad! I have 2 macs and have used them for about 4 plus year but they seriously need upgrading!!

Need Snow Leopard like yesterday then whatever comes next :unsure:

Waiting now for my boet to come visit (hopefully Oct) He is the brains when it comes to Mac and IT in general.

Generally though I love my Macs and the next purchase is an iPad :ilikeit:

• 2 months later...

Hi Joeemm,

Things are getting better but I'm still nowhere near being as efficient as I was on PC - still a lot to learn, still heaps of frustration and still contemplating throwing the thing through the window. That said, I absolutely LOVE every new functionality I discover! So, at this stage we have a mutual love-hate relationship.... LOL!

I got my Mac just before the new release LION came out, so I'm still on snowleopard (who picked the names??!!) - I'm in two minds if I should first figure out how Mac works before I upgrade or if I should just upgarde and learn from scratch again. I went to an Apple store recently and they offer free workshops which I'm planning to attend but finding the time is another story. For now, I'm watching the online tutorials and searching through forums - thanks for the mactalk one, it's a good one!

All in all, I think Mac is better, just from what I've so far seen, but it it still SO frustrating if you just quickly want to do something and it takes you 30 minutes to figure out how (such as screenprint.... I mean really!)

Another thing I don't quite get is if you import photos into iPhoto - does it keep a copy of it in iPhoto too or just run your photos through the iPhoto software? In other words, will I now have two copies of every photo? This is a concern as I still want to keep my photos in their original folders but also don't want to use too much space on my Mac by duplicating everything. I imported almost 90 000 photos over the weekend and literally have thousands more to go.. I'm still learning through trial & error :lol:

Hi Riekie

iPhoto is a really clever app. I'm learning new things all the time like it's ability to track faces through your photo library. So if you tell it a face is that of say a good friend, after a while it will ask you to confirm the person is in other pics as well.

I've only imported photo's from my iphone but so far I haven't seen any duplicates on the computer. I do have the original pics on my iphone, but that's by choice because like you I'm still learning how ot use the software. Although I do use TimeMachine for backups, so probably not necessary to do that. What I found is usefull is label the "Events" in a way that is meaningful to me, otherwise it does it by the date the pictures were taken (I presume iphoto gets this info from the iphone when it imports it).

Where are you importing the photo's from ? Sounds like an external hard drive (USB connection)? If you are importing from an iphone or another camera then I'd think you'll have the option to keep a copy on the original device. If you are importing from another storage disc then I'm guessing you will retain a copy on that disc.

Does this help? I can ask a more Mac Literate mate of mine and get back to you if he has any different views.

Have fun.

Joe

Hey Reikie, which of the macs are you working on? Not too sure if I understand your question about iphoto - where are you importing the photo's from? Camera card, usb, external hard drive? iphoto as far as I understand, is where your photos are stored on your mac, these in folders and usually sorted by date - these are what you see each time you open up iphoto. Duplicates are usually only made if you then resort your pics into albums, usually down the right hand side or your page, or use in another application such as imovie. Phew 90 000, a loooot of pics, perhaps consider an external hard drive on which you can store and then work on all these pics. Like music, pics take up a huuuge amount of space on your computer and simply slow everything down. I have a 500gig, my sister uses a terabyte. Worry a little about terabyte storage incase it crashes, would prefer to have a couple of 500 gigs, one for pics, one for music etc. Less likely to lose everything at once. Then just keep a selection of pics you work with, like, need the most.

Not sure if you've managed to work out answer to your original question....spellcheck when mailing - very top tool bar, Edit option, drop down bar, spelling and grammar, show spelling and grammar.

Hope some of this has helped, good luck smile.gif

Archived