Skype Address

JennyG

Hi guys, was just wondering if one should give your Skype address on your resume and cover letter, or rather leave it out and they will request it if necessary?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, was just wondering if one should give your Skype address on your resume and cover letter, or rather leave it out and they will request it if necessary?

To what purpose? A video interview? My experience when looking for a job from S/Africa was that video hook-ups were not done, and even telephone interviews not the norm. (Despite Telstra and the other telco's trying to push video, it's slow to take off commercially here - I recently worked a video conferencing project for Telstra) One really does have to been here in person, pounding the pavements looking for a job.

My opinion: leave it out. Employers want a local number to contact candidates on.

Also, make sure your email address is simply your name, and not an alias or nickname (or something sillier/funny) - which candidate would you contact? Bob.Smith@..... or WorsieSeWapsie@.... ?

Hi Jen

Don't see any harm in giving your skype address - although if you concerned, maybe just advise that you are available on skype (details on request) - which will indicate your availibility if required -

chEErs

paT

We had several telephone interviews and two Skype interviews from South Africa. Being in the audio visual industry, I can tell you that there are thousands of companies out there who have VC (video conferencing) and voice only conferencing systems installed in their offices. And that's across a broad spectrum of industries from law and accounting firms to IT to mining and construction companies.

I don't see any harm in letting a company know on your cover letter that you are available for telephone, Skype or VC (if you have access to such a facility in South Africa) interviews. You shouldn't need to give your Skype address though. They will let you know what medium they would prefer to contact you on.

Just a note on the VC thing. It may be worth checking out local business centres to find out if any of them offer a VC facility and at what cost. This may well impress a prospective employer that you have access to this kind of facility. It really is a great substitute for having a face to face interview.

I have heard of more and more people being interviewed by skype. However please dont waste the companies time if you have a pathetic ADSL line speed. I know the speeds have increased in RSA but dont even try two-way video on a 384 line. Most companies will be running 20 Meg lines and it is frustrating when the line speed of the person in RSA is the cause of a bad quality VC. Rather increase your line speed with Helkom or whoever you with for the next few months in case you get a skype interview..

Archived