Keeping The Fire Going...

ronfire

It's been a long while since I was on the forum. Over a year, pretty much, coinciding with the birth of our second child. You can imagine, things have been a bit busy! But, it's all good and the little guy's 13 months old (as of yesterday), so I took a bit of a breather to look back at life since we made the move.

3 years ago, we landed in Perth with just a couple of suitcases, and a few bags plus one laptop. I had a job, my wife didn't and our little boy was still a few months shy of 4. She stayed at home with the little 'un while I treaded off to work each day. OUr container took another 9 months to arrive (long story!), so minimalist living became a feature of our lives. You know - minimal furniture, etc. Getting our things, finally, was like a whole new moving experience. In fact, we'd forgotten what we'd owned. My wife was thrilled to finally get all her kitchen stuff and the furniture. Our son was thrilled to get all his teddy bears and toys intact. I was just glad to get all the stuff we'd paid for in one piece. One cracked drinking glass was the only damage. Everything else - just perfect. In the meantime, she found work, and our little boy started kindergarten.

We were settling in. Time to do the PR thing. All duly done and dusted. We popped out of the country on a quick visit to Asia, got our Pr stickers, and back home in a few weeks. Residents by right, now. In the meantime, discovered our numbers were about to go up by 1. (The nights aren't too exciting in Perth, you see - I don't sneak around the house carrying a baseball bat in the dead of night, flitting from window to window and peering outside for intruders. Have to do something with all that time!)

Junior duly showed up last year. Hospital down the road from us. Public patient. No problems. Took mum and baby home in 2 days.

Big brother is now in Yr 1, little fellow goes to daycare. Dad and mum are still in the same jobs. Enjoying work. Enjoying even more the amount of time we get to spend with the boys, instead of commuting for 3-4 hrs a day. Got our weekends free. Pop out for the odd school function, tennis match,etc with no issues at work. Head off on weekends to wander around Perth and surrounds. Very lazily, I might add.

No, we don't own a house yet. Cost of living is pretty steep, in some respects. Others, it's not too bad. We still fund our mortgage back in SA, although the house itself is being rented out. Tried selling, but no takers. We'll see how that goes.

So, is our life perfect? Nope. Worry free? Hardly. We've had our ups and downs the last 3 years. Got our fair share of troubles and disappointments. Thankful that they're no worse than they've been. Very grateful for all the good times we've had. And good experiences. And good friends. We don't have a very big social circle - don't have the time or energy - but the ones we do have are the kind you make for life. Not rich by any means, but we have more than enough for our needs and a bit to put away for a rainy day.

In short - we're content.

Now, for that Harlequin.... :whome:

Hey Ronfire, yes, come to think of it, I have not seen

a post of yours lately......

Thanks for your update, sure sounds like you are enjoying yourselves.

Congrats on the new little one, even though he's already 13 months!

Take care

Chocolate

discovered our numbers were about to go up by 1. (The nights aren't too exciting in Perth, you see - I don't sneak around the house carrying a baseball bat in the dead of night, flitting from window to window and peering outside for intruders. Have to do something with all that time!)

:lol: Thanks for sharing!!!

Hey Ronfire, yes, come to think of it, I have not seen

a post of yours lately......

Thanks for your update, sure sounds like you are enjoying yourselves.

Congrats on the new little one, even though he's already 13 months!

Take care

Chocolate

Thanks! 13 months have flown by, if you ask me. Sometimes, he wakes up in the middle of the night and I find myself wondering "who's that? Oh...right" ;)

Enjoying ourselves.....in a manner of speaking. At least, he's sleeping through the night now! Nah, I'm kidding. Love my boys. They love me too. A bit too much. I'm their punching bag. Oh well, I need the exercise!

In short - we're content.

I have asked alot of immigrants, who have been in Austrlia for 3-10 years, if they are happy here in Australia. The answer above seemed to be a common one.

I have asked alot of immigrants, who have been in Austrlia for 3-10 years, if they are happy here in Australia. The answer above seemed to be a common one.

And if you then ask those same people if they will ever go live in RSA again, the answer will almost definitely be a resounding NO from 95% of them. Once you have lived with proper freedom and peace, it will be very difficult to move back to the high stress levels of burglar bars, electric fences and the lack of personal freedom.

I wasnt actually speaking of South African immgrants in particular, but a much broader range of immigrants (UK, India, Russia etc), but you right most wouldnt go back to RSA.

Archived