Celestamine Etc...

Lynnie

Hi all,

We are on a private medical care. My little girl got sick and I took her to the doctor yesterday. He didn't even look in her throat or ears (she was coughing and complaining of a sore throat and earache) - I had to ask him to do that whilst he was writing the prescription for antibiotics.

She has an infected post nasal drip and started coughing.

I asked the doc if he can't prescribe some celestamine as well to clear up the post nasal - they don't know that in OZ!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT WORST OF ALL:

If I wanted a medical certificate for her (for school) - I have to make another appointment AND pay the consultation fee of $55!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ph34r::thumbdown::blink:

I am extremely upset to say the least....

wow that is a v bad experience - i would suggest finding another doctor in the area

you can still use the local medical clinics - you just have to pay at the end of the appointment

i have never heard of a seperate app for a dr note - i think he/she is exploiting you as a newbie to the system

maybe there is an Australian medical/doctor association you can check this out with?

as for the medicne, alot of the branded names that we were used to in SA are called something different here

its best to find its medical name not its manufacturers branded name

good luck and hope your daughter gets better quickly :)

Hi Lynnie

If I remember correctly, Celestamine is an anti-histamine. You should be able to get an equivalent over the counter at any chemist. Just ask the pharmacist. In three years I've only been to a doctor once. I go to the pharmacist for OTC meds instead. Far more helpful as I really believe that anti-biotics are over-prescribed (both in SA and here in Oz).

Incidentally, I often suffer from hayfever and then the post nasal drip for weeks afterwards. I use an OTC allergy medication and it works just fine - there are stacks to choose from.

Regards,

Mrs Mupes

Thanks for the advice... in SA one needed a prescription for celestamine (I think it is because of cortisone in it). Thing is - she was on a pharmacist's meds (otc) for about 2 weeks - she only got worse and worse. That's why we went to the dr.

BUT I will defenitely not go back to that dr...

Hi all,

We are on a private medical care. My little girl got sick and I took her to the doctor yesterday. He didn't even look in her throat or ears (she was coughing and complaining of a sore throat and earache) - I had to ask him to do that whilst he was writing the prescription for antibiotics.

I asked the doc if he can't prescribe some celestamine as well to clear up the post nasal - they don't know that in OZ!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT WORST OF ALL:

If I wanted a medical certificate for her (for school) - I have to make another appointment AND pay the consultation fee of $55!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must say that I found the Doctors where we live....useless to say the least! Dont know about the rest of Aussie but the few ones we went to in WA is just a waste of money, eventually found a South African doctor which is worth the money but unfortunately he is very old and I think he will retire soon :thumbdown:

I find the hayfever is worst in WA than in RSA, I tried all sorts of medication but none works. Luckily one of my friends travel to RSA for business purposes at least 5 times a year and he bring back Sinucon, you know those little purple "Tarentaal" pillietjies, they work!!

Dont think it is a good solution for your child but just thought id share

Cheers

Hi all,

BUT WORST OF ALL:

HI Lynnie, my daughter has suffered very bad post nasal drip since she was a baby and she is turning 8 next month. I've been there, done it all. When she starts with a little cough I just know what's following. Overnight that little cough will go into her chest and she will have a very wet cough and she will cough throughout the night and day, non stop because of her post nasal drip! We tried everything even nebulising. We lifted her mattress so she is lying at an angle so her upper body is higher than her lower body, that does help with the post nasal. When we landed in Australia 4 years ago I went to a dr. and he has put her on a asthma plan. My 1st reaction was she does not have asthma but I tried it anyway. I can honesty say it made the world of difference. As soon as she has a sign of a cough I start her so called asthma plan even though she does not have asthma. She uses Flexotide and Ventolin and we increase it as she gets worse, when she is better we stop using it. When she is coughing and has the post nasal I drip eucalyptus oil on her pillow and her pj top and I cannot tell you what a difference it makes as I find the eucalyptus opens her nose so no post nasal drip so no cough.... Hope this will assist you in some way...

Hi Lynnie,

Since being in Perth, my 4-year old daughter started to suffer badly with post-nasal drip and excess mucus. I use OTC anti-histamine meds and hayfever/allergy tissue salts for her. As a strong believer in natural medicine, I took her to a homeopath, and the remedies he gave me work very well. As soon as she starts with the coughing, I start with a dose. Maybe you could visit a homeopath, and see if his/her remedies will work in your case?

Kind Regards

Thank you so much for all the advice!!! I will defenitely try it :ilikeit:

I also found out that if you use Claretine and Prelone (you need a prescription as it is cortisone), it has the same effect as celestamine.

Thing is - I don't like using strong medicines, and have tried the homeopathic route in SA - it just takes so long to work....

Thanks again for all the advice...

Ps: Don't you need a script for Ventolin and Flexotide?

Thank you so much for all the advice!!! I will defenitely try it :ilikeit:

I also found out that if you use Claretine and Prelone (you need a prescription as it is cortisone), it has the same effect as celestamine.

Thing is - I don't like using strong medicines, and have tried the homeopathic route in SA - it just takes so long to work....

Thanks again for all the advice...

Ps: Don't you need a script for Ventolin and Flexotide?

Hi Lynnie,

Ventolin you dont need a script but Flexotide you do. I would recommend for you to see a dr and ask then about this and they can put you on a "Asthma" plan with the ventolin and flexotide to help you with the problem. Good luck!

Archived