Urgent Question Please

TvdH

I've been contacted by a mining company in Oz and they are reviewing my resume for a position. The guy wants to know if I could help them to identify the best way to attract experienced mining people from South Africa to live and work in Australia. Anybody has got some suggestions.? Do I really need to go into explaining him that it should not be a problem due to the fact that a lot of people are willing to move because of the crime or ........? Please give me some suggestions.

If anybody is in the mining industry or know somebody in the mining industry, especially coal mining, please PM me with your Resume.

I am in the mining industry >

This industry here is in some ways very different –

• many jobs here are FIFO rosters – that is fly-in-fly-out where the guys fly in to site, work 12 hour shifts for 6 to 12 days and then fly-out and have 4 to 10 days off at home. This may not suit the life style of many people, especially families.

• Certification may also be a problem – that is the ‘mine managers certificate’ or a ‘surveyors certificate of competence’ or even the ‘blasting certificate’ – which are all competence tested in SA and are not likely to be recognised here. Mining laws are also very different.

• Etc…

In essence – I would suggest you tell the recruiting guys to be honest, tell the interested people honestly about the jobs and let them decide – without any ‘clever’ or under-hand tactics to lure them here, simply by playing on their ‘fears’ regardless of if these ‘fears’ be crime or anything else.

I've been contacted by a mining company in Oz and they are reviewing my resume for a position. The guy wants to know if I could help them to identify the best way to attract experienced mining people from South Africa to live and work in Australia. Anybody has got some suggestions.? Do I really need to go into explaining him that it should not be a problem due to the fact that a lot of people are willing to move because of the crime or ........? Please give me some suggestions.

If anybody is in the mining industry or know somebody in the mining industry, especially coal mining, please PM me with your Resume.

They have a very odd way of doing things here. I've got the impression that you may be talking to the same company my husband works for, and I have given them resumes for 3 qualified people already in Australia, and not one has landed a position. Their qualifications and experience are excellent. If it is the same company, they have many South Africans they have recruited. Further, there are qualified people here that can't seem to crack into the mining industry, many of the big companies like people to apply through their website, and the recruiting process starts at head office in Brisbane.........

You could always tell them to advertise their vacancies on this site... lol..... they would get loads of applicants that way!

To second what Patrice says, don't expect certification or even licensing to stand up over here, you will have to do loads of training etc to get the recognised Australian qualifications. For example, an Electrician can move to Queensland from WA and have to get all the Queensland competencies and be classed as a yellow hat ( under supervision) until he has completed 450 hours of underground shifts, before he gets his white hat.

Hi,

I live in Perth and am involved with many mining and oil and gas companies across Australia (as well as all other business types) as my role covers all of Australia and South Africa as well. I have exhibited at most of the jobs expos in SA and have also hosted hundreds of seminars on living and working in Australia over the years so am well aware of the willingness of people who are looking to leave SA to live in Australia and SA has been a good source of employees for Australian companies (and mining in particular) as the mining methods employed here are very similar to those in SA.

Most people are probably aware that there is a mining and resources boom in Australia at the moment and this is centred around Western Australia and Queensland mostly. Companies are spending billions of dollars on capital projects and are struggling to find people to help them complete these projects, hence the hunt for relevant talent from SA (due to the mining industry there).

I am happy to chat to your prospective employer on some of the initiatives that we are engaged in (in partnership with various companies and some of the state governments) to help Aussie companies find staff overseas, including in SA.

We have sponsored a specific website with this in mind that is free for Australian companies to advertise jobs on and recruit people through: http:skilledmigrantjobs.com

Rio Tinto have recently registered as well as a few other mining companies and there are over 700 people registered for job alerts on the site (around 350 from South Africa) and the site is less than two months old.

Please pass on my details (email and phone numbers are under my profile) and best of luck with the job and move.

Regards,

Stuart

I've PM'd you with my contact details. I work for a company that hosts employment expos for Australian companies in various parts of the world including SA, Canada and UK.

Cheers

Ajay

Archived