Employment Interview Question To Why You Have Come To Australia?

madlo

I am planning to move permanently, still very early in the process but I am stressed about not getting opportunites and if I do messing up the one interview I get.

So because of this I would like to know for interviews with Australian employers how should I respond to the question of why I have decided to permanently move to Australia if I am moving all by myself without knowing anyone in Australia?

I am scared I will ostracize them if I don't provide proper Australian friendly answers.

So in an interview:

1. If I say I came over for a better lifestyle will they think I came over to not work.

2. If I say I came over for a better life will they think I will find out the grass is not greener and go back

3. If I say I came over due to crime. Will they think Oh not another one. Should I go into details of the crime or just say I don't want to talk about it.

4. Is house breaking, hijacking, BEE, death all a definitive no no in conversation?

5. If they ask what about your family and friends you're leaving behind in SA ie. sisters,brother? How must I answer this? Should I answer it.

6. Will it count against me that I am unmarried and in my thirties and not supporting anyone?

7. If I don't give a good reason why I am relocating will they think I am hiding something?

8. As I understand they like to chit chat more so should I engage them with things not related to the position or should I stay on the topic of how suited I am to the position.

9. If salary is not specified should I undersell or oversell myself as a South African.

10. Should I be humble or assertive.

11. Should I sound willing to learn or know it all (experienced position)

12. Should I crack jokes

13. Does flattery work if a female interviewer?

14. Fully shaven or Oz cricketer shadow?

15. Proud of my heritage or wanting to be 100% Ozzie

16. Indivdual or team player

17. Make like I have had a hard life or boast about my accomplishments.

18. Should I not tell the full truth by telling them that I am undecided about moving permanently when I have in fact made up my mind.

19. Should I avoid sounding desperates to get the job?

20. In South Africa employers don't age discriminate (in my experience) but from what I saw in my Oz trip they do. If they had to choose between me and a candidate 10 years younger for the same salary I got the feeling they would choose the younger person. Does "fair go" apply for all ages (white collar job in the services industry)?

I think I wrote too much so I'll stop. :)

Sjoe Madlo,

You have a lot on your mind for sure, I am still in SA and cannot answer your questions except to say be yourself as that's who they want to hire not some person hiding behind a mask, you are who you are and an employer will hire you for you. And most of all answer hoestly.

Just my 2c

T

I am planning to move permanently, still very early in the process but I am stressed about not getting opportunites and if I do messing up the one interview I get.

So because of this I would like to know for interviews with Australian employers how should I respond to the question of why I have decided to permanently move to Australia if I am moving all by myself without knowing anyone in Australia?

I am scared I will ostracize them if I don't provide proper Australian friendly answers.

So in an interview:

1. If I say I came over for a better lifestyle will they think I came over to not work.

2. If I say I came over for a better life will they think I will find out the grass is not greener and go back

3. If I say I came over due to crime. Will they think Oh not another one. Should I go into details of the crime or just say I don't want to talk about it.

4. Is house breaking, hijacking, BEE, death all a definitive no no in conversation?

5. If they ask what about your family and friends you're leaving behind in SA ie. sisters,brother? How must I answer this? Should I answer it.

6. Will it count against me that I am unmarried and in my thirties and not supporting anyone?

7. If I don't give a good reason why I am relocating will they think I am hiding something?

8. As I understand they like to chit chat more so should I engage them with things not related to the position or should I stay on the topic of how suited I am to the position.

9. If salary is not specified should I undersell or oversell myself as a South African.

10. Should I be humble or assertive.

11. Should I sound willing to learn or know it all (experienced position)

12. Should I crack jokes

13. Does flattery work if a female interviewer?

14. Fully shaven or Oz cricketer shadow?

15. Proud of my heritage or wanting to be 100% Ozzie

16. Indivdual or team player

17. Make like I have had a hard life or boast about my accomplishments.

18. Should I not tell the full truth by telling them that I am undecided about moving permanently when I have in fact made up my mind.

19. Should I avoid sounding desperates to get the job?

20. In South Africa employers don't age discriminate (in my experience) but from what I saw in my Oz trip they do. If they had to choose between me and a candidate 10 years younger for the same salary I got the feeling they would choose the younger person. Does "fair go" apply for all ages (white collar job in the services industry)?

I think I wrote too much so I'll stop. :)

I would say take my reply with more than a pinch of salt, as I have not gone for a single interview myself. And I will only be looking for part time work myself for starters as I will be studying, so that is a different ball game altogether. But, while I understand your nervousness, I think you are over thinking things a tad too much. I think being honest and being yourself is important.

1 to 4) I would say that I do not want to live with the current crime situation, without going into too much details unless specifically asked, and even then I would tread lightly. In my case I would also say (and honestly mean it) that I also feel there are far better opportunities in Australia for me to be everything I can be. That way I will be saying I am serious about working and about my future here in an indirect way. My perspective is somewhat different as a woman, but I too am coming over alone. If you are serious about your commitment to stay in Australia it will show and I do not think you have to panic so much about other people second guessing you.

5) if asked, be honest. Once again, if you feel these things will be obstacles it will show. But if you are confident about striking out on your own it will come through too.

6) Why on earth should it? I think it shows gumption to come over by oneself.

7) There are sooo many South Africans relocating, that I do not think it is such a huge question to employers, I could be totally wrong. Sounds like the reasons for your relocation is really bothering you. Have you figured them out for yourself? I have lived outside South Africa for a long time, but will be new to Australia. So, once again I have a slightly different perspective. People who have never internationally relocated find my move slightly peculiar, but as they see I am confident and happy about it, they do not doubt me.

8) How about letting them set the trend? But I would neither chit chat too much, nor oversell yourself too aggressively.

9) Make sure you do research what the salary should be for the position, and try to find a good midway, but I would say in general do not undersell yourself.

10 or 11) I do not think know it all's are appreciated anywhere. You should make it clear you have confidence in yourself and your abilities, that you have knowledge and experience (only if you do), but that you are willing to learn more and take on new challenges, and that you know that you do not know it all!

12) No

13) No. Be friendly, but flattery will just sound false and is not a good idea.

14) Fully shaven unless you are interviewing for the cricket team ;-)

15) Proud of your heritage, but also excited about your new life in Australia and integrating with Australians. Hopefully you are excited. So you can just be honest!

16) Who are you? Individual or team player? Once again, be yourself. That said though, I can't think of a job where they do not need team players. No matter how high your position, you are still part of a team.

17) See 10 and 11. Know it all's or boasters are seldom appreciated. But an honest "I have had some difficult bridges to cross in my life and I have done so successfully and feel confident I can do so again if needed" would probably not hurt. Once again - is that you? While you want to present yourself in the best possible light, you also do not want to put up a false front. I have been through a fair bit, and have a very unusual current job and will quite honestly say that it has made me feel if I can do this I can do anything!

18) If you have made up your mind say so. That will show you are serious about Australia and that job. If not you will sound wishy washy and they will wonder if you will run back home after a short while. Seriousness and focus on your future will be more appreciated.

19) Absolutely avoid desperation. Just sound quietly confident that if you do not get this job, you are certain that you will land a good position.

20) No idea. But if they do discriminate just keep going till you find someone that does not!!!

As I said for starters, take my opinions with a pinch of salt. But regardless, take a deep breath and believe in yourself. If you do, then others will. If your heart is into the move I am sure it will work out! I wish you all the best with interviews and with the move in general. I am so excited that after years of planning this I am finally going to be there in July. Whoop whoop!!! God is great.

Would be interested if you have more replies and opinions, what the folk who's already there and have "been there done that" would say.

Remember . . . take a deep breath. Now go for it :lol:B)

Nicoleen B)

Just wanted to add, been browsing other topics, and found lots of useful information under the pinned topics. Below was a link given regarding CV writing. The website itself had loads of interesting information regarding employment and many other migration issues - have a peek

http://www.migrationnews.com/index.cfm/Aus...prepare_your_CV

Question was never asked to me. Remember they are not interested in why you left SA, they are interested in what you can do (skills) and your work experience. Rather concentrate on your skills and what you can offer them as an employee, that will determine whether you get the job or not. Definitely not why you left SA. You will just be one applicant from SA, they will also have applicants from the UK, New Zealand, Poland, India, China, Singapore and many others potentially.

1. If I say I came over for a better lifestyle will they think I came over to not work. RATHER TALK ABOUT BETTER PERSONAL AND CAREER OPPORTUNITIES.

2. If I say I came over for a better life will they think I will find out the grass is not greener and go back. JUST SAY THIS IS A PERMANENT MOVE, NOT TAKEN LIGHTLY.

3. If I say I came over due to crime. Will they think Oh not another one. Should I go into details of the crime or just say I don't want to talk about it. MOST PEOPLE HERE DONT KNOW THE DETAILS ABOUT RSA, THEY ONLY HEAR LITTLE BITS ON THE NEWS, DONT GO INTO DETAIL, DONT SHOCK THEM, ITS A JOB INTERVIEW.

4. Is house breaking, hijacking, BEE, death all a definitive no no in conversation? AGAIN, DOUBT IT WILL COME UP, IF IT DOES, REFER TO IT BRIEFLY IF YOU MUST, AS A FACTOR IN YOUR DECISION TO MOVE.

5. If they ask what about your family and friends you're leaving behind in SA ie. sisters,brother? How must I answer this? Should I answer it. DONT LIE, YES THERE IS FAMILY THERE, BUT THEY SUPPORT YOUR CHOICE AND WILL COME VISITING. EMAIL AND SKYPE IS BRILLIANT.

6. Will it count against me that I am unmarried and in my thirties and not supporting anyone? NO, YOU ARE NOT HELD BACK BY FAMILY AND CAN GIVE THE JOB 110%.

7. If I don't give a good reason why I am relocating will they think I am hiding something? CAREER PROSPECTS, ADVENTURE, A NEW CHALLENGE, THE GREAT OUTDOORS, TAKE YOUR PICK.

8. As I understand they like to chit chat more so should I engage them with things not related to the position or should I stay on the topic of how suited I am to the position. WHERE DID YOU HEAR THAT? DEPENDS ON THE INTERVIEWER OF COURSE. FOLLOW THEIR LEAD, BUT STAY PROFESSIONAL, YOU ARE NOT IN THE PUB WITH A MATE.

9. If salary is not specified should I undersell or oversell myself as a South African. DO RESEARCH INTO FITTING SALARY FOR THE JOB, THEY WILL BE TAKING A CHANCE ON A UNPROVEN CANDIDATE, SO THEY WILL BE STICKING THEIR NECKS OUT A BIT HERE. SO, IF ANYTHING YOU WILL PROBABLY BE PAYED JUST UNDER THE NORM, TILL YOU HAVE PROVEN YOUR WORTH.

10. Should I be humble or assertive. AUSSIES DONT DO COCKY KNOW IT ALLS, ACTUALLY I DOUBT IT IS A POSITIVE IN A INTERVIEW ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD. REMEMBER, NOBODY WANTS TO WORK WITH A ASS, THEY ARE LOOKING FOR A EMPLOYEE BUT, ALSO A COLLEAGUE.

11. Should I sound willing to learn or know it all (experienced position) YOU MUST HAVE THE APPROPRIATE KNOWLEDGE (OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE CALLED FOR THE INTERVIEW) BUT SAY YOU ARE A FAST LEARNER AND WILLING TO TAKE GUIDANCE.

12. Should I crack jokes NO

13. Does flattery work if a female interviewer? PLAIN WEIRD AND CREEPY. (ARE YOU WEIRD AND CREEPY?) IF YOU WANT TO SAY SOMETHING COMPLEMENTARY, COMMENT ON THE COMPANIES REPUTATION IN THE INDUSTRY, THEIR FACILITIES ETC.

14. Fully shaven or Oz cricketer shadow? SHAVED, WELL DRESSED, GROOMED.

15. Proud of my heritage or wanting to be 100% Ozzie. SOLID PERSONALITY, BUT OPEN TO NEW THINGS.

16. Indivdual or team player TEAM PLAYER WITH GOOD IDEAS OF YOUR OWN, A ASSET TO THE COMPANY.

17. Make like I have had a hard life or boast about my accomplishments. YOU ARE NOT UP FOR ADOPTION. YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS WILL BE IN THE CV, SO IF THEY GO THERE YOU CAN ELABORATE, DO SELL YOURSELF BUT KEEP IT OUT OF THE BOAST CATEGORY.

18. Should I not tell the full truth by telling them that I am undecided about moving permanently when I have in fact made up my mind. TELL THEM THAT YOU HAVE MADE THE MOVE PERMANENTLY, HAVE THE VISA, THE SKILLS, AND THERE IS NOTHING HOLDING YOU BACK FROM GAINING FULL TIME EMPLOYMENT.

19. Should I avoid sounding desperates to get the job? NEVER A GOOD LOOK, SOUND VERY KEEN AND ENTHUSIASTIC , BUT STAY OFF YOUR KNEES.

20. In South Africa employers don't age discriminate (in my experience) but from what I saw in my Oz trip they do. If they had to choose between me and a candidate 10 years younger for the same salary I got the feeling they would choose the younger person. Does "fair go" apply for all ages (white collar job in the services industry)? NEVER COME ACROSS AGE DISCRIMINATION HERE, THERE ARE MANY LAWS AGAINST IT IN FACT. MIGHT BE USED AS A EXCUSE BY A CANDIDATE THAT DID NOT GET THE JOB.

I dont know what you do or where you are looking to relocate, but your questions sound a bit like your knowledge of Aus is based on a Aus holiday brochure. :whome: Unless you are looking for a job as a life guard or on a cattle station, you need to do some research into Aus work culture. It would be very beneficial for you to start reading the big Aussie newspapers online, especially their money and business sections. They are much bigger players than RSA on the world stage. It will not only help you with your knowledge of Australian industry and their vision for the Aus economy, that will come in handy in the interview, but you will also know what is being discussed by your Aus colleagues. Integrating into your new work environment and team as soon as possible is the way to settle quickly and be excepted. Be seen as the competent, likable, team player who happens to be South African. Not the insular South African who thinks he knows better and cant share in the conversation at work. This is not meant to be a criticism but a few tips to make your move as smooth as possible. I knew very little about Aus culture and forcing myself to only listen to Aus talk radio made an enormous difference. Good luck.

Hi Madlo,

Yes, there is definitely a lot to think about and the process is VERY stressful, migration is supposedly the most stressful situation you can willingly put yourself in, but by your questions I can see you already realise that.

Try to reduce the stress of the move and don't add unnecessary stress to the process as the first two years (generally) are going to be tough enough.

I moved over in 1995, on my own with all my friends and family either in SA or elsewhere in the world, I knew three people in Perth when I arrived and they were all people I'd known for less than a year. The first two years were very hard and I struggled (with myself) to feel that I fit in.

As far as work goes, yes, it was difficult in the beginning. But once I had the first job the rest came easily.

Australian employers are generally very positive and to the point, there doesn't seem to be any hidden agendas and people are on the whole very positive and open minded.

I can say that in my position of dealing with Australian corporates and business leaders, South Africans are generally well regarded as hard working and determined (the determined bit can sometimes be a slight negative...).

I don't see any issues with you being able to find something (not knowing what you do?) and the advice I would give is be positive in any interviews and dealings with prospective employers as well as professional.

In line with some of the other replies, I don't want to be patronising or negative in any way, but for the first few years of living here there seemed to be a feeling amongst some Aussies that Saffas were arrogant. This was possibly due to a lack of understanding of our culture and the way we can come across when we speak and also that we tend to be very focussed. (just think of what we often say "come, lets go" - sounds like an order?)

That seems to be much less of an issue now (as there are so many Saffas here now) and again I stress the positive "can do" attitude.

Australia is seen as the lucky country and not just by Aussies, there is huge demand for people wanting to live here from all over the world, so as long as you have something to offer an employer that they need you will get the job and a positive attitude will definitely help.

No-one wants a troublesome employee with "baggage"

Many Australian companies would receive tens or hundreds of job applications from overseas that they throw in the bin as there is a desire to live here, that is often why it is better to be here to apply for a job. I know of employers who have recruited someone from overseas and held positions open, only to have the person not come to Australia after all. So you can understand the scepticism by some as a result.

That said, there are hundreds of Aussie companies who regularly recruit from overseas and very successfully. There is a looming skills shortage here and our unemployment is one of the lowest in the developed world, so the prospects for migrants finding work are very good. Also think about where employers would like to recruit from? They would all prefer to employ someone who is fluent in English that from somewhere else...

In answer to some of your questions, the best way I can sum it up is answer the questions you are asked and answer them truthfully and professionally and try to keep emotions out of it. If someone asks why you are moving then it will probably be small talk and asked to put you at ease. Rremember that it is a job interview and they want to know you can do the job well with minimum fuss...

One final tip, take photos that remind you why you are leaving SA, as in 18 months you will probably forget the negatives (human nature) and second guess your decision. Put these on the fridge and when you're having a bad day, take a long look to remind you of the reasons why you are here!

Best of luck and remember why you personally made the move as everyone does so for different reasons.

Regards,

Stuart

Thanks for the responses. I just needed some reassurance as I am starting to stress myself out already.

Archived