Renting in Sydney

Springbok

Hi everyone

I'm planning my relocation to Sydney for the 1st of June, accomodation would probably my biggest concern at first. I'll do a search on the forum anyway, but just a few questions in the meantime for the Sydneysiders:

How do I go about finding a place to rent? I'll probably look at the northshore (Chatswood, etc.) so that I'm not too far from the CBD for work.

Looks like the Sydney rental market is in a squeeze according to the Sydney Morning Herald?

Is a rental application more or less the same as a job application, i.e. you tell the owner why you are such a wonderful person and why they should give the "job" to you above all the other applicants?

This is a shot in the dark, but does any of the Sydneysiders here on the forum perhaps have an extra room where I can stay until I find my feet and my own place? :D You are welcome to contact my migration agent Cecil Bass of Hitchcock & Associates (tel. 02-8440-8330) in Chatswood if you want to do a background check... ;):ilikeit:

Thanks

Charl

Good question. We are going soon and this would help.

Pity you are both heading for Sydney, I have a room, but I live in Melbourne, unfortunately the commute would take a bit long!

A bit long :D

Unless I learn to run like Speedy Gonzales commuting is not really going to work :ilikeit:

Hi Charl and Johan,

The best is to use www.Doman.com.au . Here's a search I did for Chatswood http://www.domain.com.au/Public/SearchResu...hterm=chatswood .

When we arrived in Sydney, we stayed in a motel for the first 6 weeks while looking for a rental property. We were able to arrange a special rate with the motel due to the 'lenghty' duration of our stay . Another option, which is not as expensive, is to live in a cabin or a stationary caravan in a caravan park.

Unfortunately my spare bedroom has been taken by my kids, who will be joining us in Australia!

SAS

Edited by SASydneysider

This is where we stayed when we arrived in Sydney : http://www.savillehotelgroup.com/default.a...n=article&ID=34 It's in Chatswood across the road form the train station and bus interchange.

I don't think it would be a good idea staying in the Hills initially if you do not have a car, as you will need to drive or take a bus to get to your nearest station. Our train-line is in the making, but for now, we have to make use of the existing stations which are all quite a few km's away (not walking distance).

If you want to rent a home, you will have to provide proof of employment, income and supply bank details. In addition to that, you can supply character references or previous rental references in case more than one person apply for a specific house. The rental market is not that tight in the Hills as it is in other areas closer to the city and/or the beaches. But yes, you are right - the owner decides which applicant gets the house based on the information provided by the agent (you don't get to see the owner, so a charming personality won't help much.... :D ). Rather give too much info than too little (we even had a character reference from our church! :ilikeit: )

Are you not visiting Sydney sometime now? Why not go see a few agents in the Hills then?... Or if you want to stay in Chatswood initially, go see what's available and make a few enquiries for accommodation. If they see you in person now, they might be more willing to offer you something for when you arrive in June.....

• 1 month later...

At the moment I am in the same bot as what your going to be, so if you get here, your more than welcome to stay with me until you decide on something, thats if I'm not homeless at the time, cause I'm really battling with finding a place....

if you know the suburbs (& surrounds) where you intend living try registering on realeastate alert, you get daily updates on properties which become available for rent, but I suggest you also register with all the agents in the area (each of the local offices, as these are often independant franchises) as I am told sometimes the properties don't make it online to the various websites. I am also told that if you offer a extra months rent as bond (deposit) your application may be viewed more favourably.