IELTS

duToits

I know that the IELTS is valid for a year, but does that mean that it must be less than a year old when you lodge your application or when they process your visa? We plan on writing it in July and sending visa applications in december.

Hi J&J

as far as I know it's valid from the day you receive it,Not when you lodge your visa.It's not influenced by your visa application in anyway.

regards,christelle

Hi Everyone

Isn't it valid for 2 years?

I'm a bit worried now, cause I booked for our one end of Apr and we will probably lodge our 136 visa during March. If it is only valid for 1 year then it might not still be valid when we get to our final visa stage. :blush:

Pofstert

The IELTS is actuallyl valid for 2 years, but for the DIMIA (or whatever they're called now) it's only valid for a year.

I think you must lodge your application before the IELTS expires, not necessarily be in final stage of the process by the time it expires. Same as with your age. If you lodge it before you turn 30 you get the points, even though they will only process it by the time you're already 30.

Maybe someone else can confirm this?

Some interesting reading from DIAC's website re English on the 136 visa:

(http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/136/eligibility-english.htm)

Section on non-native English speakers

"All applicants who are not native born English speakers must submit results from an International English Language Testing System test undertaken within 12 months of lodging their visa application as evidence of their English language ability.

A native born English language speaker is a person whose first spoken language is English and who is the holder of a passport of one of the following countries:

United Kingdom (UK)

Canada

New Zealand

United States of America (USA)

Republic of Ireland.

Important: If there is any doubt about your English language ability, despite the evidence you may submit with your application, your case officer may ask you to undertake an International English Language Testing System test. Any waiver of the test is at the discretion of your case officer."

If I read the above correctly it means you could submit your IELTS results up to 12 months after lodging your application (!!??!!).

What is interesting is that a ) I am misunderstanding the above text or b ) everybody on the forum (including me) has been wrong so far in how we understood the IELTS requirement or c ) the above text is contractictory to some other text we have been reading and quoting so far.

Obvisouly it makes no sense to try and claim poinst on the points test without the IELTS results so you really need to have send it by the time the applicaion is being processed. I also downloaded the PDF version of the English requirement and cannot find anything about having to give IELTS results within 12 months of sitting the test.

Also look at the last sentence. Probably applies to people with passports for, but not born in those countries.

Section on points awarded:

"Points Awarded

You will be awarded points based on your English language ability at the time you lodge your application. Points are awarded to applicants who have competent or vocational English. No points are awarded for functional English.

Level of English Points Awarded

Competent 20

Vocational 15

Functional Nil

English requirements for family members

Members of your family, aged 18 years or over, who are included in your application must provide evidence of their current level of English.

Members of your family who have been assessed as not having functional English will be required to pay a second instalment visa application charge."

Has anybody on the forum had 136 visas approved where the IELTS test results were more than 12 months old?

Jaco

Edited by JacoE

"All applicants who are not native born English speakers must submit results from an International English Language Testing System test undertaken within 12 months of lodging their visa application as evidence of their English language ability.

Hi Jaco

I suppose it could work in the other direction as well... a test written within 12 months prior to the application date would also be acceptable.

I suppose to answer to the actual question is YES.

As far as I know the date of lodging the application is the 'effective' date. Even the points for the age requirement is calculated to that date (as you know JJV). And even when the ruglations change e.g. number of points needed etc, they always look at what applid when the applicaion was lodged.

So, if you write the test in July and DIAC receives the application in Jan 2008 (you post it in Dec 07) the results are still only 6 months old at most.

jaco

Hi Jaco

I suppose it could work in the other direction as well... a test written within 12 months prior to the application date would also be acceptable.

Based solely on what I quoted from DIAC's site above I believe you could send your IELTS results in even if you wrote the test up to 2 years before the date of lodging the application.

Jaco

Edited by JacoE

I know that the IELTS is valid for a year, but does that mean that it must be less than a year old when you lodge your application or when they process your visa? We plan on writing it in July and sending visa applications in december.

IELTS results are valid for one year from the date the results are issued, for migration purposes.

Example: if you receive your IELTS results on 1/1/2006, DIAC will generally accept that IELTS scores if DIAC receives your visa application quoting that IELTS scores on or before 31/12/2006. The date your visa application is actually assesed by DIAC does not come into the picture in this case.

Peter

Two more questions relating to the IELTS

1. Does anyone have a copy fo the application form? I'm struggling to download it and the one they emailed me comes out all strange.

2. On the application form they ask for family name and then for other names. Is the family name your full name with surname?

Thanks

J

Two more questions relating to the IELTS

1. Does anyone have a copy fo the application form? I'm struggling to download it and the one they emailed me comes out all strange.

2. On the application form they ask for family name and then for other names. Is the family name your full name with surname?

Thanks

J

1. Have you tried http://www.ielts.org/generalpages/article294.aspx

2. Family Name: Your surname. Given/Other Names: Your given names. Eg. If your name is James Andrew Collins, and your father's name is Patrick Edward Collins, your family name (surname) is Collins and your other names (given names) are James Andrew.

Peter

Hi J

Your family name is your surname.

Are you trying to access the application form from this site? If you're struggling it may be your security settings, as I've never had a problem accessing it.

Cheers

C

Hi

Thanks for the help.

One more thing, The question on english study(how many years). What does that refer too? is it school, university or general?

Thanks

Jacques

Edited by J&j