Saa

MTNCO

"Kindly note that the 30kg will apply to the MH flights only as SAA being the domestic carrier will have their own baggage"

We are getting 30kg from Malaysian airlines,so now we are trying to e-mail SAA to confirm that they also give us 30kg,its silly that we only get 30kg from Joburg,and not from Durban.

So then why is King shaka called international airport,we dont even get direct flights for most destinations? :unsure::blush:

Both our domestic and international tickets state 40Kg luggage allowance on SAA....which booked through IOM though.

Not all airlines have a bagage allowance of 30KGs . SAA being one of those , slowly slowly they are coming on board but until such time, you might be charged for the Durban to Joburg Leg.

The fact the Durban airport is an international airport, please bear in mind that not all airlines want to fly to Durban...

perhaps there is not enough traffic to Durban.

On our last visit to Durb's, returning to Aus, one of our bags weighed 23kgs instead of the domestic travel allowable weight of 20kgs, this was a "serious offence" and we were finally pardoned after we paid for the extra 3kgs overlimit BUT at JHB we were allowed 23kgs (on route to Sydney).

To all migrating to Aus, I suggest you book your tickets thru IOM, to avoid all the commotion. When we migrated, we also booked thru IOM, when we showed the guys at JHB airport the IOM confirmation letter we were allowed to take 40kgs per person, no further questions asked.

Another advantage booking with IOM, you can change your flights up until the last minute, in 2005, we were to fly out on a Friday but we still had some urgent issues to finalise so, we called IOM on Thursday afternoon and postponed our flight to Sunday, it was easy as that. From our discussion with the lady at IOM, it seems like the country's official carriers make available some seats for IOM travel - IOM is a worldwide organization with which most ("civilized") countries are signatories....

So locking your travel requirements with IOM is more than getting cheap flights with airlines, it's sort of a "safety" net when migrating.....and you get 40kgs allowable checkin luggage.

NAL

SAA has upped their luggage allowance to 23kg for economy class in line with international norms...

As an unwritten rule usually a passenger would be given the higher allowance if the domestic leg was booked as part of the entire international itinerary (ie. DUR-JNB-SYD). So even if SAA's policy was 20kgs and Malaysia Airlines had given you 30kg, SAA would then allow the 30kg limit. However this was always an unwritten rule which is clearly being used in favour of the airlines' bottom line and NOT to the benefit of passengers....Passengers who ultimately keep airlines in the sky!!!

I found cheaper flights from OTIA (OR Tambo International) to Sydney, using travelsmart site.

I am very glad I did not use those options because IOM guaranteed us 40kg per passanger and we really had no issues whatsoever on the airport when departing.

We flew with Qantas and booked special meals for the kiddos :ilikeit:

So even paying R7 000 more for the 4 of us, we had no stop overs and no hassles!

I would recommend you stick to IOM when you immigrate. B)

Archived