Hi From Springs

LouiseS

Hi there

My husband and I are seriously thinking of moving to Oz. We moved to Springs from Cape Town two years ago. Financially it was a good move, but life in Springs is really getting me down. Crime is way out of control, in January we had 15 burglaries in our neighborhood alone, 2 people were murdered recently, the streets are littered with rubbish. I can go on and on... I don't even like to go grocery shopping with our baby as I feel it is unsafe. I dream of a life where I can take the kids to the beach, to the park, and sleep soundly every night.

My husband has been working for a mining support company in Springs as a Project Manager for the past two years and more recently has been given the extra responsibility of Marketing Manager, as his boss realised he has a flair for it. He studied Industrial Engineering, completed only half of his studies, but has since worked as a Plant Manager at a chemicals factory, and now as Project Manager: MIning. We are wondering if he should maybe do a B Com or Project Management course before we apply for a Visa or just start looking for jobs right away? I would like to go as soon as possible, but he wants to wait.

I see that there are currently lots of opportunities in mining in Oz, but I'm not sure my husband stands a chance without any qualifications. My husband recently went on a business trip to Wollongong and absolutely loved it. It looks like a nice place to settle.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Louise

HI LouiseS,

The is the annual "Working IN" Expo in JHB in around Sept or contact "Ajay" on the Forum as she is involved with them, they often have mining companies exhibiting there and looking for people. I also feel that Ajay could point you in the right direction she is a registered migration agent as well.

Sorry I could not be of more help but good luck and have fun.

T

Do it, do it now! Start applying for jobs, you guys have nothing to loose. I have found that in many cases experience goes a longer way than actual qualifications. I am in IT and not mining though. The only regret we have about coming to Australia is that we did not do it 10 years ago.

Good luck.

Why not ask one of the forum agents for a free assessment? They could tell you whether your husband's qualification is sufficient or if not they could tell you what he would need to study. No point in doing a 3 yr course of study when it doesnt give you visa.

Welcome to the forum, and I am sure you will get lots of info and help here.

Hi LouiseS

I just wanted to say good luck with the application. I have at least 50 family members in Springs :P and I agree it is a worry.

I hope you get things resolved.

Regards, Bronwyn

Welcome to the forum ! There are so many ways to work towards a visa, just keep reading and asking ~ best of luck !!

It is so interesting reading your comments about Springs. I went to school in Springs and have some family still living there, in Selcourt. This family member in particular always makes a point of telling me how fantastic life is in Springs and that there are so many great things happening in SA. They also send me news about crime in Australia, it is very irritating but I just listen and keep quiet.

The last time I visited Springs was in about 2006 and it had been a dump for at least 10 years. The town centre looked like a squatter camp and the suburbs like fenced off concentration camps. While I was there I witnessed a smash and grab and a stabbing in one day.

The last time I was there, was the last time I was there.

Hey Mike :grads: I also went to school in Springs (so did my husband) & I grew up in Selcourt. I moved out at 21 though...but it's funny how many people I still meet that have a link to Springs. Ah well...

Hi Bronwyn

Springs was good to me and a lot of great people come from there. When I first met my wife she was amazed that we would bump into people from Springs no matter where we went. She is Italian and we once bumped into a friend from Springs at the airport in Milan, she couldn't believe it.

It is sad to see it go to the dogs but I have great memories of growing up in Springs.

Seeya

Michael

Hi guys

Thanks for all your replies. I have contacted Stephen Dickson, and I hope he will have good news. I am so excited to get this process started!

Hi Louise, and welcome!

I left Springs a few days ago after a visit. Mom still lives in the same house in Selection Park I grew up in. I cannot believe how many people here on the forum are from Springs, hilarious!

I am visiting Perth right now, coming back full time in June to start studying. So if your hubby gets a job in Perth, come and say hi B)

I have been traveling for years, and my mom would say : "We miss you honey, but so glad you are not living here any longer". So there are some open minded people in Springs to that know there is a better and safer life to be had outside of the country.

All the best, and I hope you find opportunity soon.

Nicoleen

Archived