Stations/trains Late Night

Oryx

I am starting to travel on business and would like to get my processes in order for travelling etc.

In Perth I was advised not to travel on trains late night. Is it the same her in Melbourne? And if it is, What would be considered as late night? I'll probably need to travel round about 10 pm from Southern Cross to Greensborough.

And would it be OK to leave my car overnight in the station parking at Greensborough?

Oryx, I am one of those careful ones, and my answer would be no to both your questions, but then, I do not use public transport. I would say if you travel up to 8pm, it should not be a problem, but after that, I would not want to do so. As for parking at Greensborough station overnight, mmm, you see if your vehicle is parked there, very late at night, especially after the last train for the night has run, then the hoons think it is a fair go to have some fun. You see, they probably have a good idea that you will not be back that evening and they have lots of time to get up to mischief.

I am sure you will get answers from those that actually use that line and that use public transport.

I just know of someone's son who found himself at 9.30 at night, alone in a carriage, when he got surrounded by a group of about six youngsters, and I mean youngsters, the oldest about 15 and the youngest 9, they ended up bashing him and putting him in hospital.

I'm with Mara on this one. Unless it's Footy night and there's lots of people using the trains to get home, I wouldn't be on a train past 20H00. And it's not any specific line. Over the last year, I think almost every line has had someone assaulted in some way after hours. Nobody killed mind you (that I know of?), but most have been put in hospital.

Certain lines/stations will have higher probability of an "encounter", others not so much. I'm hoping the new state government will get all those police they promise at stations and on trains.

Me, I like to be home with my family by the time the sun sets. :P (one of the reasons) We left South Africa to avoid becoming a statistic. No point trying our luck here. Not quite the same as in SA where you could get knifed/shot, but still a risk.

If you absolutely have no option but to use the train after 20H00... play fish...i.e. make sure to not isolate yourself in a carriage by yourself...go where there are other people - move carriages as numbers thin out...

-G

That sound scary - must be much worse than London then because loads of people (including teenagers) go to London for the evening and come back very late with no problems at all.

My husband also sometimes gets back really late, usually walks or cycles back from the station at 10:00 or 11:00 pm with his laptop - no problem.

I am starting to travel on business and would like to get my processes in order for travelling etc.

In Perth I was advised not to travel on trains late night. Is it the same her in Melbourne? And if it is, What would be considered as late night? I'll probably need to travel round about 10 pm from Southern Cross to Greensborough.

And would it be OK to leave my car overnight in the station parking at Greensborough?

Hi all, I often travel after 10:00pm on the North/South train as well as my wife (by herself) after a girls supper in the city once a month. We have never had a problem or know anyone that has. Lot's of security on the train that time of night as well. I am speaking of Perth now.

Cheers

Alan

Well Bluegill, then you are both fortunate, definitely not something I would recommend in Melbourne.

It's a tough one to call - whether it's safe or not. Thousands and thousands of people travel late at night every week without anything happening, so statistically, your chances are pretty good. It's the fear factor that makes it worse than it seems - like with any crime - you only have to hear of one incident happening in your area for the perception of crime to be far worse than it actually is.

I've done it for years and never had an incident, but the possibility is always there. It's one of Melbourne's greatest downfalls if you ask me - it really is a safe city, but the morons that get drunk and look for trouble late at night put a big black mark on Melbournes report card. Even though your chances are low - it's still possible.

The best thing to do is pretty much what Garrick says. Be aware of your surroundings, try to stay near people, near the drivers carriage or near police or security staff.

All/most trains have CCTV, so bear that in mind. Also, all stations have a "safety zone" which has increased lighting and permanent CCTV. They are also working in increasing police presence and station security.

If all else fails, a tightly rolled up magazine or newspaper makes a pretty handy weapon. ;)

I commute from Melbourne CBD via Werribee line :boxing: daily and sometimes return after 8pm due to work commitments and have NEVER seen an incident or felt threatened in any way. Just my 5c.

That sound scary - must be much worse than London then because loads of people (including teenagers) go to London for the evening and come back very late with no problems at all.

My husband also sometimes gets back really late, usually walks or cycles back from the station at 10:00 or 11:00 pm with his laptop - no problem.

Actually, I think it's the perception that it's worse - I don't think it actually is. Having lived in London for 7 years and Melbourne for 4, I felt about as safe in either - there is a chance that something can happen, but it's a slim chance. It's all about reducing the risks.

A (very) basic, quick search on crime statistics on the underground versus on the Melbourne Metro in a year says that London had about 30,000 reported instances of crime in a particular year, Melbourne had 7,000.

If you take London's population of 7.7 Million and Melbourne's of 4 Million, then your chances of something happening are a fair bit higher in London.

Well..I have travelled on the werribee line...alone from flinders station (apparantly a "dangerous" one at night) at 11;00 on a friday night..no problems...I have noticed a few drunk teens and so on..but never felt unsafe as there were always plenty of people on the train with me...

I just go for a carriage with a few people on ...that way you not alone..i dont think u need to be worried...leaving your car at the station overnight...not a good idea...we have done it with one of ours but it is so old and crappy we actually pray someone steals it :) unfortunately its always right where we left it..in the same condition.

Archived