Medical questions (form 26)

starfish

We’re going for our medical examination at the end of this month. In going through form 26, there are a number of questions to be completed before actually going to the doctor. I find a few of the questions a little puzzling, and was wondering if anyone could enlighten me a little. For example (I’m using the exact wording as on the form):

Have you EVER had:

1. an operation ?

2. hospital treatment or been admitted to hospital for any reason?

Would having teeth extracted under general anesthetic (as a child), or an ectopic pregnancy removed, or a birth by caesarian section count here?

3. pain in the back, neck or any joint ?

4. stomach pains, indigestion or heartburn ?

Is there anyone who actually hasn’t had one of these at some stage of their lives ? I sometimes get neck pain when trying to sleep on an aeroplane on a long-haul flight. I get stomach pain if I eat something which doesn’t agree with me.

5. any medical, physical, psychological or other treatment in the past 5 years ?

Does physiotherapy after (say) a sports injury count here ?

Any comments appreciated.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Answer questions honestly, but don't make an issue of something that is not significant. eg. mention that you have been admitted to hospital but clarify why. I doubt that you would need to mention once-off pain in the neck after a long flight unless it is significant.

Regards,

Fiona

RMA Gold Coast, Australia

I agree : be honest. It is not necessary to list each and every ache & pain & runny nose you had. Only if it was significant or required surgery, further extended treatment, hospitalization etc. Eg. If you had knee surgery (even if you don't have any problems with it now). If you lie and they find out, you can kiss your visa goodbye..... Feel free to make extra notes to clarify. If, for instance, you have a doctor's report/test results clearing you of a prior illness, include a copy of it. I had knee surgery, and the doctor who interviewed me asked me if I still had trouble with my knee, I had to bend my knee & touch my toes and that was it. They realise people do get sick and that it is normal to have had surgery or treatment. Don't stress too much about it - just be as honest as you can recall. I know it's all very scary but it's OK - really. :blush:

How sticky are they on the overweight thing? :blink:

I've got about 15 kg to loose, will they disqualify me on the medical?

Pofstert :blush:

How sticky are they on the overweight thing? :blink:

I've got about 15 kg to loose, will they disqualify me on the medical?

Pofstert :blush:

They will measure your height and weight. Then calculate BMI. Under 30 is perfect, over 35 I think is where questions get asked and the limit I was told is 40.

Thanks LeeInOz

Know I'm over 30 but don't know how far :blink:

Must definitely get back on track with the diet again (says she while chowing on the nuts) :blush:

Pofstert

We’re going for our medical examination at the end of this month. In going through form 26, there are a number of questions to be completed before actually going to the doctor.

Have you EVER had:

1. an operation ?

2. hospital treatment or been admitted to hospital for any reason?

Would having teeth extracted under general anesthetic (as a child), or an ectopic pregnancy removed, or a birth by caesarian section count here?

3. pain in the back, neck or any joint ?

4. stomach pains, indigestion or heartburn ?

Is there anyone who actually hasn’t had one of these at some stage of their lives ? I sometimes get neck pain when trying to sleep on an aeroplane on a long-haul flight. I get stomach pain if I eat something which doesn’t agree with me.

5. any medical, physical, psychological or other treatment in the past 5 years ?

Does physiotherapy after (say) a sports injury count here ?

Any comments appreciated.

Scott

I came in looking a bit like a medical surgeons experiment. (8 operations on one leg, six leaving a scar) I would say, if you have a scar mention it. My son had a small scar on his head that was noticed, my daughter one on her wrist both from little home accidents. Because the wrist one could have meant some kind of surgical stuff the doctor made a note. The scratch on my sons head was ignored when we explained he fell on his face carrying a small drink tin at 2 years old. As far as ectopic or caesarian, they leave scars so mention them, or the doctor will. To many gaps will cause problems. What I discovered is they want to evaluate how much you will cost to keep healthy. If it is too much then they can ask for a medical undertaking to be signed prior to visa, which means you pay certain expenses. My wife had a ectopic and a few other scars, no problems The doctors are experienced and trained to know what the medical board is looking for.

They will measure your height and weight. Then calculate BMI. Under 30 is perfect, over 35 I think is where questions get asked and the limit I was told is 40.

Hi there.

How do you work out your BMI? :ilikeit:

Regards

Sheila2oz

Hi there.

How do you work out your BMI? :ilikeit:

Regards

Sheila2oz

Weight divided by square of your height. eg 80Kg and 1.7 m = 80 / (1.7 x 1.7) =27.68.

The problem is if you have a slightly different to average build then the number is a bit pointless so that is why therre is no hard limit. Apparently people in the range 19 to 22 live longest.

This does not really cover how much fat vs muscle you are carrying. I weigh the same as 3 years ago when we migrated but with a bit more fat vs muscle due to age, ;) but I still have an acceptable BMI :D

Hi you all

Just been for our medicals and it was easy peasy.

Like said before answer all questions honestly but mention only the important ones.

For the ladies out there, if they find a bit of blood in your urine (you can not see it!) (heamaturia) do not have a heart attack it is quite normal and they will just ask you to go for another test at a pathologist, (blood and urine) to see if your kidneys work okay.

You will find that you have been worried unneccessarily so relax!

Good luck

Olin

• 3 weeks later...

Went for our medicals today, and it was very straightforward. Here are a couple of observations from our experience which may be of interest to other folk going in Cape Town:

We went to Drs. Stoner, Greeff & Rosendorff in City Park (or Christian Barnard Memorial Annexe as it is now called) at 2pm - apparently they only do families in the afternoons. The time between booking and getting an appointment was approx 3 weeks! Dr Rosendorff performed the medical examinations on my wife, my 20 month old daughter and myself. Their practice is not your typical family doctor type setup. The rooms are not at all child-friendly (unlike our GP) , and my impression was that this is more of a high volume practice. This is fine if you are just two adults, but if you have a little one or ones, especially at toddler age, one of you has to constantly be with the child to keep them out of mischief - and harm!

The actual medicals are quite quick - the doctor takes the blood sample himself there and then - which saves a trip to the pathologist. All the dreaded question 15 items (see my original post at the start of this topic) were fine - the doctor answered no to all of them after looking through my separately prepared list of answers.

The worst part is having to go to the radiologist in the next building - there was quite a queue when we arrived shortly after 3pm. Their rooms also not child-friendly. We were done in just under an hour, after which we had to return to the first doctor, who examined the x-ray prints, pronounced us ok, and off we went. Altogether about two-and-a-bit hours, R1,340 for the medicals and blood work (2 adults and one toddler), R690 for the chest x-rays (2 X adults only) and then R580 for the courier to Sydney. At least the parking was "free". Keep all receipts!

I'm glad that's done !

Edited by starfish