Adelaide Vs Perth

briggs

Would it be possible for you to please share your thoughts and opinions with me.

What attracted you to Adelaide in the first place / what made you move to Adelaide as opposed to any other state?

How does Adelaide compare to Perth? and

Has Adelaide lived up to your expectations?

Thanking you in advance for sharing your thoughts and opinions :holy:

What attracted you to Adelaide in the first place / what made you move to Adelaide as opposed to any other state?

How does Adelaide compare to Perth? and

Has Adelaide lived up to your expectations?

Hi Briggs

Go and look under the heading LSD. The answers are under a similar topic.

Hi Briggs

Go and look under the heading LSD. The answers are under a similar topic.

Thanx Herman, will do.

I'm talking about 2 years ago - but we loved both Perth and Adelaide on our LSD. Having small children we decided that Adelaide would be better. Hope you find your answer but I think it's best to experience both for yourself before you decide.

Thanx Herman, will do.

Hi Briggs

Here is the link:

• 4 weeks later...

This is as per my experience only. Perth is fresh and (can be) quite brass. Adelaide is colonial and quite English. Some on here have described Adelaide as industrial, thats probably because they stick to northern suburbs as the majority of the rest is full of parks and old colonial architecture private schools and parkland. Not industrial at all.

Both have their boy racer areas, but both also have very nice middle and more affluent areas. My impression of Perth is one of new money (such as for example Centurion or Silverlakes in Pretoria, or Umhlanga in Durban) whereas Adelaide is one of old money (Lynwood in Pretoria, or Morningside in Durban).

Although South Australians will jokingly tell you that their state was a non-convect settled state, and an underlying prevailing culture of "which school did you go to", you would think Adelaide to be a snobbish place, but it is not at all, and the people are friendlier than I have encountered in most other places, including South Africa. Perth people are however also friendly.

We opted for Adelaide as opposed to Perth, but could quite happily live there as well. One of the main reasons we opted for Adelaide was although Perth is closer to South Africa and has a bigger South African community, chances are you will travel more in and around Australia than to South Africa. And for that reason only, living in Perth is not great as it really is very isolated. From Perth its a 4 to 5 hour flight to Sydney, and from Adelaide its a mere hour or so. The same for all other cities really. I am for example flying to Brisbane this coming week, and it will take me 2 hours from Adelaide, and would have taken me over 5 hours from Perth. So the concept of flying in and out of an eastern state city for business in a day, is not possible from Perth.

Also the big rock bands seem to come to Adelaide more often than Perth ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

......for those not already living in Adelaide :whome:

According to a Productivity Commission report published in The Adveriser yesterday, Adelaide is Australia's most liveable city :ilikeit:

.................................... Adelaide..Sydney..Melbourne..Brisbane..Perth..Hobart..Canberra..Darwin

Liveability score.................. 63.4......55.1....60.9.........60.2.......60.6....60.5.....62.3.......55.8

Housing affordability/house..... 5.1........8.3.....7.5...........5.7......6.0.....4.8........6.6..........6.4

prices to earnings ratio in 2010

(house prices to average earnings)

Bruce McAvanney, one of Australia's top sporting commentators (lived in Melbourne for 17 years)says, and I quote "As an adult, I appreciate the quality of life we have here (in Adelaide)is hard to find anywhere else - clean air, beautiful beaches, hills and proximity to the outback,great food and wine, quality of education both public and private, and health care".

It really doesn't get much better and we should be much more optimistic about hat we have becuase we are the lucky ones"he says, adding that the kudos is hardly a revelation..

Enjoy!

Manny

Ps. Battling to align figures with headings.... :whome:

SO glad SA 'chose' us! Can't wait to get there!!

Archived