Going Back On Holiday!

Rodz

Hey

Its been a while since i have been on the site. So we are leaving Friday week and was wondering of a couple of issues.

1. Can i use my Visa debit card over there?

2. Can i drive there using my Aus drivers license? My RSA one expired a few yrs back already.

3. Can i bring goodies back, as long as they are declared?

Thanx!!

Hi Rodz

1) You can use your visa debit card- just advise your bank you will be using your card in SA , they normally want the dates of travel, just in case of Credit Card fraud.

2) Yes, you can use your Australian Drivers Licence

3) You can bring goodies back that are not prohibited and you declare them.

They have issues with food stuff containning fruit, honey and dairy products or meat products so sorry mate dont bring biltong back!!!

Skins eg animal skins and ethnic drums ,beads can be a problem to

All wooden items must be declared

Moral of the story, if in doubt - declare

Rodz

Good to know you are still around- have a wonderful holiday- stay safe- and let us know how you found it when you get back

Just a note on the driver's license - yes it's perfectly legal to use your Australian license - but it seems some traffic cops don't know the law (or like to take their chances hoping for a bribe).

Last time I was pulled over for a random license check on the Freeway in JHB, ""the traffic officer of the law" kept telling me I needed an international license - which is wrong. After arguing (respectfully) with him for a while he finally gave up and let me go.

I find the best way to deal with those types in SA is to be respectful, smile, act innocent (like you have no idea he's hinting for a bribe) and usually they get tired of it and let you go because they don't want to spell it out to you, for obvious reaons.

Hi Rodz

1) You can use your visa debit card- just advise your bank you will be using your card in SA , they normally want the dates of travel, just in case of Credit Card fraud.

2) Yes, you can use your Australian Drivers Licence

3) You can bring goodies back that are not prohibited and you declare them.

They have issues with food stuff containning fruit, honey and dairy products or meat products so sorry mate dont bring biltong back!!!

Skins eg animal skins and ethnic drums ,beads can be a problem to

All wooden items must be declared

Moral of the story, if in doubt - declare

Thanx for that!! Yeah i will inform them that i will be using it! yes i just came back from Saffer friends and they informed me of the "declaring" bit!!

Rodz

Good to know you are still around- have a wonderful holiday- stay safe- and let us know how you found it when you get back

Thanx Andrea, yes i intend to keep a very low profile!! Just going home to visit my mom! I will definitely do a return home post!!

Just a note on the driver's license - yes it's perfectly legal to use your Australian license - but it seems some traffic cops don't know the law (or like to take their chances hoping for a bribe).

Last time I was pulled over for a random license check on the Freeway in JHB, ""the traffic officer of the law" kept telling me I needed an international license - which is wrong. After arguing (respectfully) with him for a while he finally gave up and let me go.

I find the best way to deal with those types in SA is to be respectful, smile, act innocent (like you have no idea he's hinting for a bribe) and usually they get tired of it and let you go because they don't want to spell it out to you, for obvious reaons.

Thanx , i will be on the lookout for them :ph34r: !!

• 4 weeks later...

My holiday is almost over and what a blast it has been. We might have the priviledge of living in Aus but one thing i can say is that home will always be home!! Just to see my mom, my brothers,my sisters and all my buddies!! I could never live here again but sure will be visiting as often as i could.

The roads have really deteriorated in the past 3,5 yrs. They have plans in place to repair them but,like everything else, takes their own time. Love the exchange rate, i feel like a mini millionaire!!

Just a few more questions, what can i bring back with me? I am hoping i can bring back some Spur salad dressing!!

Have a great Easter!!!

what can i bring back with me?

Rodz, have a look at the website of Australian Quarantine & Inspection Service to see what the rules are.

It seems like most Commercially packed food items (like Spur salad dressing) are allowed, but you have to declare it so that they have an opportunity to inspect it before allowing you to bring it into Australia.

Archived