Work Availability

Toitjie

I know how many sites there are with available jobs, but I want to know if anyone has a better understanding of how the workforce profile generally look in Canberra.

I am only used to what its like in Pretoria, and its not easy for someone with only Matric to get a job.

My question relates to someone who has only Matric, and a lot of experience, but no other tertiary qualifications (except maybe outdated IT stuff) :)

What does the prospects look like? Is there a variety of jobs available? Do they take experience into account, especially in the absence of other qualifications?

Or would such a person compete with all the school-leavers?

Availability of job depends what you want to do and in what area your experience is. If Canberra is anything like other cities in Oz then there are plenty of retail jobs going ranging from Woolworths or Bunnings to high fashion and anything and everything in between (you will often see a notice in a shop window help wanted apply within). Then there is office work - general clerical type stuff through to highly skilled roles (not sure in what area your experience is). There may be courses you would need to do to improve your skills e.g. MYOB but that is not a major as there are many colleges and organisations offering training in that. There is care work (always in great demand) where you go and help the elderly in their homes, maybe a bit of personal hygiene getting them showered, help with housework, take them shopping (not sure what courses you need for that and whether you can train through care organisations) and of course work in fast food places (although that seems to be more for the school kids or university students). The difficulty is often in finding a job that suits your hours e.g. hours that are compatible with school kids rather than say night fill at a supermarket. Check out local government websites, state government websites as well which will give you an idea of a broad range of available positions.

thanx Zoot - what makes it more difficult is that this is for a male. Hubby is experienced in sales but with no formal qualifications. But Im talking about sales in the construction industry, which he knows very well.

Somehow seeing him in a retail store.....I dont see it happening :)

What does the prospects look like? Is there a variety of jobs available? Do they take experience into account, especially in the absence of other qualifications? Or would such a person compete with all the school-leavers?

I think it will come down to your experience, My wife had not worked for a company for 5 years and on the fourth job, she was successful. She has a certificate in PR... What do you do?

Experience and achievements are important!

thanx Zoot - what makes it more difficult is that this is for a male. Hubby is experienced in sales but with no formal qualifications. But Im talking about sales in the construction industry, which he knows very well.

Construction is booming here and bucking the National norm in terms of growth, I know some SA in the building trade and things are busy should not be a problem, I would suggest he starts reading up on the ACT building regs and National laws so that when he get here he "knows " what he is talking about .... I can introduce him via email to your husband ....

Salespeople are always in demand - and there is nothing stopping him from taking a stop gap job (say at something like Bunnings - a hardware store) building up a bit of industry knowledge and taking it from there. Construction is huge in Oz there is just so much building going on everywhere so am sure he wont have a problem. In something like sales it isnt really about qualifications more about experience and being able to meet targets. Adverts will usually say something like must have experience in sales.

Archived