Artikel In Beeld

Lynnie

Question

9 answers to this question

Hi there,

It's not the article that kept me entertained but all the comments :blush:

Yes!! I fully agree - can be harsh, hey???

The snotty comments upset me the most.... I know we will make it in Oz and be happy AND survive....

my mother in law actually phoned hubby, breathless, telling him to immediately read the letter on page 13 of Beeld!

When I read the article, I wondered if I should, in turn, tell her to read on all the other pages of Beeld, like the family who were attached in Rayton, the mom raped, and on and on and on

I must say, it's a rather poorly written and very emotional letter. I do not read too much into it.

Surely this kind of thing only really happens when people don't/can't go the 'proper' route and don't actually have the right visa to work? Then 'employers' offer them accommodation, work and permits, on condition they surrender their passports, and because they're not legally working, they can't seek support when they're abused.

I read something a while back about this happening in the UK a lot.

Surely this kind of thing only really happens when people don't/can't go the 'proper' route and don't actually have the right visa to work? Then 'employers' offer them accommodation, work and permits, on condition they surrender their passports, and because they're not legally working, they can't seek support when they're abused.

I read something a while back about this happening in the UK a lot.

Hi Kit,

Yes this does happen in the UK a LOT, my sister was one of the students that went to the UK for her "gap" year about 8-10 years ago. My parents organised it through a "reputable" ageny in JHB and when the kids arrived via Gatwick airport to the place they were supposed to stay and work, they had their passports confiscated and the conditions in which they were to live was appalling.

A group of them left and found a dingy hotel to stay in and we couldn't locate or contact them for 3 days. There was a BIG report in the Rapport & Beeld as well as on SABC news about this. Luckily via a long way we eventually got them to mail the passports back to us so we could get them back to the kids. My sister stayed in the UK for 2 years after this and did extremely well for herself.

I suppose it depends on the person you are and the amount of fight within you.

But yes people must be careful and choose well.

T

Klink vir my die persoon is op 'n werks visa en het dalk 'n shaky contract gekry wat obviously glad nie goed uitgedraai het nie..

Dis nie met almal die geval nie..

Hehehe ek lag lekker oor al die comments - mense is darm baie sensitief (en dis nie sleg nie want alaml kom maar op vir hulle keuses..)

Hi there,

I have to admit, I agree! Those comments had me in stitches. Made me think of the saying, when the going get's tough . . .the clever ones left lo o ong ago . . . .Surely most of us did not relocate for the sake of money only.

Hi there,

LOL! :lol: :lol: Me too!

The person who wrote this article must have gotten a work visa to some Third World or Arab country (where they do this - even to Australians who go there on work contracts to make a quick buck...). There is no way he could have had this experience in Australia as firstly he would have had to get a work visa which would allow him to legally work here and to get that he would have had to be sponsored by an approved sponsor who would be monitored and controlled by the law and DIAC regulations. If he came here on his own PR visa, then he is just stupid to work for such a company! Resign and find a better job - it's as easy as that!

I've never heard of anything like this happening in Australia so my only conclusion is that this happened in another country. (Or he got a dodgy visa in which case he must enjoy himself).

Archived