Water

Springbok

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Australia has somewhat of a problem with clean water supply. Now way back in 1995 (12 years agpo), Ismail Serageldin, vice president of the World Bank, made a much-quoted prediction about the future of war: "If the wars of this century were fought over oil, the wars of the next century will be fought over water."

So I've started doing some research and the following might be of interest:

BOOKS at Amazon.com

• Blue Gold: The Fight to Stop the Corporate Theft of the World's Water (Maude Barlow & Tony Clarke)
  • Water Wars: Privatization, Pollution, and Profit (Vandana Shiva)
  • Resource Wars: The New Landscape of Global Conflict (Michael T. Klare)

Some other related links:

Water in Australia

Blue Gold

The Water page

Thanks Springbok!

This is fascinating reading. I believe water will indeed become the resource most in demand over the next couple of decades. Where there's water, there's life. While we can survive a few weeks without food, a human being can survive only about three days without water (and eight minutes without air).

May Australia's drought soon be relieved and may the country's leaders adopt wise strategies and policies concerning long-term water management.

;) Liza

Just as a matter of interest, I used to work in the FMCG market research industry, and last year Mineral Water was the fastest growing category, seeing good inflation! This is also apparently a world trend - watch this space! ;)