Hello... (From Wagga Wagga)

Olivier B

Hello,

Now, how do they say it again....long time lurker, first time poster, right? Anyhow, that's us....we've been following the forum since last year while still in South Africa. Must say this forum has been a big help - just getting to set your mind right on certain topics and also finding an answer here and there...

We applied for PR (beginning of last year) but after we got word from our agent that it will only be addressed some time after 2-3 years, we were really thinking..."What now..." And then after some big changes in our lives we ended coming over on a 457. We've been here since beginning of December 2010 - in Wagga Wagga, NSW.

It's been hectic and a slow pace all at the same time...and you get your good days and not so good days but all in all I have to say...we're doing great :D . Hubby's just working long hours (something to get use to) but other that the normal settling in stuff, it has been a great journey so far.

So, if there is any other South Africans in Wagga who wants to meet for a coffee/braai/chat....let me know. Oh, by the way...my name is Bernadette and we have 2 kids - ages 3 (almost 4) and 2.

See you around... :)

• Like 1

Hello,

Now, how do they say it again....long time lurker, first time poster, right? Anyhow, that's us....we've been following the forum since last year while still in South Africa. Must say this forum has been a big help - just getting to set your mind right on certain topics and also finding an answer here and there...

We applied for PR (beginning of last year) but after we got word from our agent that it will only be addressed some time after 2-3 years, we were really thinking..."What now..." And then after some big changes in our lives we ended coming over on a 457. We've been here since beginning of December 2010 - in Wagga Wagga, NSW.

It's been hectic and a slow pace all at the same time...and you get your good days and not so good days but all in all I have to say...we're doing great :D . Hubby's just working long hours (something to get use to) but other that the normal settling in stuff, it has been a great journey so far.

So, if there is any other South Africans in Wagga who wants to meet for a coffee/braai/chat....let me know. Oh, by the way...my name is Bernadette and we have 2 kids - ages 3 (almost 4) and 2.

See you around... :)

Hello Oliver B,

Although I am still in RSA but moving to Canberra in a couple of months, I thought I would reply.

I have a very close friend living in Wagga Wagga and we went to visit them last year this time. Wagga was very nice and a lot bigger than I thought it would be.

Anyhow, my friend has been living in Wagga Wagga since July 2008 (as well as her brother and his family, and her parents), her husband is a doctor at Calvary Hospital. Unfortunately she is not on this forum but I'm sure if you pop in at the hospital you can ask for him.

Enjoy Aus and congrats on your move - you definitely won't regret it.

Louise

Hello Oliver B,

Although I am still in RSA but moving to Canberra in a couple of months, I thought I would reply.

I have a very close friend living in Wagga Wagga and we went to visit them last year this time. Wagga was very nice and a lot bigger than I thought it would be.

Anyhow, my friend has been living in Wagga Wagga since July 2008 (as well as her brother and his family, and her parents), her husband is a doctor at Calvary Hospital. Unfortunately she is not on this forum but I'm sure if you pop in at the hospital you can ask for him.

Enjoy Aus and congrats on your move - you definitely won't regret it.

Louise

Hi Louise,

Thanks! I bet you can't wait for the move to Canberra! Hope all will go well for you. You said a couple of months still? Do you know when you will be going or are you still waiting for visa approval? Anyhow, best of luck to you! :)

I really enjoy Wagga - it is a nice place and we're settling in more and more each day. I just thought there might be more South Africans on this forum who lives in Wagga - would be nice to meet up.

And goodness - can't believe we're here 3 months allready...some days it feels like ages!

Take care,

Bernadette

• 1 year later...

Hi Bernadette,

We have decided that Wagga Wagga is our number one choice for a destination in Aus. We are are not sure whether to go on a 457 and start that process now, or wait until I have completed my degree via UNISA at the end of 2013. How is life in Wagga Wagga? Have you met other South Africans there? Are your children attending school there?

Regards,

Grant

Moorreesburg

• 1 month later...

Hello all

We are waiting for our 457 visa approvals, my husband and I and our 3 kids (15, 8 and 6) will be relocating to Wagga from Johannesburg hopefully by mid-December2012. These posts help so much, it is frightening to try and organise houses, schools and life from the other side of the world.

It is wonderful to know there are South Africans in Wagga.

Thank you

Kerry

Hey Bernadette

Welcome to the forum. We are considering Northern NSW close to the QLD border, don't know how far that is from Wagga Wagga but maybe one day when we get there and it's not too far from where we are we may just pop in for that coffee. I can't wait to get there, I'm like a little boy with a new toy that he can't play with.

Good luck with the rest of the journey and process towards becoming permanent residents and ultimately citizens.

We are considering Northern NSW close to the QLD border, don't know how far that is from Wagga Wagga but maybe one day when we get there and it's not too far from where we are we may just pop in for that coffee. .

It's about 1200 km's

Australia is a big place

• Like 1

It's about 1200 km's

Australia is a big place

Eish hou haaibo, I guess that means a quick weekend trip is out of the question then.

Eish hou haaibo, I guess that means a quick weekend trip is out of the question then.

Don't worry, when I was flying to Perth I wanted to rent a car for a long weekend trip to Sydney - not one of my best ideas. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Glad to hear there are South Africans in Wagga. I have secured a job in Wagga and will be doing the technical assessment tomorrow, really nervous but looking forward to it all. My wife, three children and myself can't wait to get there so we can settle in.

Good luck with the test, I hope all goes well. Keep in touch. We went for Medicals on the 24th now we wait for the visa decisions..... but we know the feeling just want to get settled asap,

• Like 1

Hi, we wish you all the best on your adventure. We are sure you will get sorted soon. All the agony will be worth it in the end I'm sure. Keep us up to date on how all is going. Did you have to go for the full medicals? The technical interview was much better than I had expected which I am so relieved about. Now for the next step ;-)

I also have 3 kids, my husband and I just had to undergo Chest Xrays and my 2 younger kids (8 and 6) needed to undergo medicals, all harmless, feeling and poking and wee'ing in a cup, which they hated. My poor 15 year old had the 'full monty' as I say she did the medicals, chest Xrays and the HIV test. The Rosebank GP was a bit strange, but really nice. where in the process are you and the family now? you have a job offer and have accepted? the company has applied for sponsorshiop? are you working through a agent? Sorry lots of questions, Im just so excited to be speaking to someone who is going through the same process at this time!!

• 2 weeks later...

Please can someone help... IOM.... I was referred to contact them regarding our flights from SA, I did so and their quote is so so reasonable. Am I just 'Proudly South African' and believe that if something is too good to be true, it normally isnt true!! has anyone used them before? I would HATE to get caught in a hoax but there prices are really not bad at all, I just cant help but think 'whats the catch' please assist?

• Like 1

Hello all

We are waiting for our 457 visa approvals, my husband and I and our 3 kids (15, 8 and 6) will be relocating to Wagga from Johannesburg hopefully by mid-December2012. These posts help so much, it is frightening to try and organise houses, schools and life from the other side of the world.

It is wonderful to know there are South Africans in Wagga.

Thank you

Kerry

Hi Kerry.

Good luck with the 457 Visa. We will be applying for a 457 next year and we have decided we want to settle in Wagga :) How did you organize the sponsor? Did you fly over and knock on a few doors?

Grant

Moorreesburg

Hi Grant

My husband applied for a job and was successful, thank goodness we didnt need to knock on doors. We are leaving SA on the 29th of November 2012, I wish you all the best and will let you know how we get along in Wagga.

Kerry

We are moving to Wagga in December and need to know what are the 'stay away' areas? Ive read about Turvey Park, Glenfield Park,Ashmont are there any otheres??

You can use IOM!!!! We did and a lot of other formites have used them, just make sure of ALL the details and you should be ok!