How To Pick A School

JennyG

Hey all you Canberians :rolleyes:

Ok, so we plan on moving December. Gives us time to sort out some stuff before the schools start. My daughter will be turning 6 in November. Currently she is in Gr R in South Africa. I take it she will be going to Gr 1 if she is not too young? Not sure how the Aussie schools age system work?

Ok, someone told me that I need to put her name down/register her at the school of my choice seeing that some schools have waiting lists.

Where do we start? Now you going to ask which suburb. Thought we will pick a good school and that will automatically determine the suburb we will live in right? So how do I know which schools are the best? We thinking of putting her in a Roman Catholic school cause I've heard too much horror stories about government schools?? :unsure: and thought the schools might be a bit smaller? My daughter is currently in a Private School and was wondering how it compare to the Catholic Schools in Aus.

Ok, you can see I have a lot of questions. Any information that you can give me re primary schools will be very helpful! Like everyone else it is very very important to me that my daughter will settle in and be happy.

There have been a few posts on how the system works with regards to what year they go into. There is one from last week I think under the schools and education area.

My son was in a catholic school in Amaroo! It was a great school for us and they had a great no bullying policy. L (my son) is small for his age too and we have never had an issue with bullying. The school as a whole was great and the staff are really invested in the kids. The school if gov will depend on the suburb you live in. A catholic school like any private school is not zoned, so you can basically live anywhere as long as you are prepared to travel. There are some websites that will grade the schools according to how well they perform in standardized tests. If you google a bit I am sure you will find it, or someone could probably link it up for you.

The catholic school my son was in, had smallish classes (20 kids) the classrooms were really well kitted with smartboards etc. The school also provided all the stationary, school trips, swimming lessons, dance lessons and tennis lessons that they did during school. This meant that our school fees was an inclusive amount and it did make it easier to budget. A catholic school is also generally a little bit cheaper then a private school. We paid $200 every four weeks.

Candice

We thinking of putting her in a Roman Catholic school cause I've heard too much horror stories about government schools?? :unsure:

What horror stories, i havent heard anything bad?

Please share?

Hi there,

I am in the same situation as you - I have googled the schools in our area (Brisbane) and emailed them with heaps of questions, which most of them answered to my satisfaction. We plan to go and visit most of the schools before the next term starts on 27 April, I believe your gut will tell you.

You can also have a look at the following sites:

http://bettereducation.com.au/results/qce_op.aspx

http://www.australianschoolsdirectory.com.au

Hope this helps!!!

There have been a few posts on how the system works with regards to what year they go into. There is one from last week I think under the schools and education area.

My son was in a catholic school in Amaroo! It was a great school for us and they had a great no bullying policy. L (my son) is small for his age too and we have never had an issue with bullying. The school as a whole was great and the staff are really invested in the kids. The school if gov will depend on the suburb you live in. A catholic school like any private school is not zoned, so you can basically live anywhere as long as you are prepared to travel. There are some websites that will grade the schools according to how well they perform in standardized tests. If you google a bit I am sure you will find it, or someone could probably link it up for you.

The catholic school my son was in, had smallish classes (20 kids) the classrooms were really well kitted with smartboards etc. The school also provided all the stationary, school trips, swimming lessons, dance lessons and tennis lessons that they did during school. This meant that our school fees was an inclusive amount and it did make it easier to budget. A catholic school is also generally a little bit cheaper then a private school. We paid $200 every four weeks.

Candice

Mmmmm Candice this school sounds really good!! I will have a look at previous posts to get some more info on this thanks!

What horror stories, i havent heard anything bad?

Please share?

Hi Bevmac, I'm referring to bullying in schools. Yes I know it can happen anywhere but what I've heard and once again it is what I've heard is that children in Catholic Schools are more polite. I don't know if this is true.

Hey it all depends on the School .... At St Edmunds (catholic) make focus is on Sport but bullying was an issue.... At Harrison School Kindie was fine and they got on well, I think that it may start a little later....

I think here , schools like , St Edmunds, Canberra Grammar, Radford, and along with those lines, would compare to private schools. Even the Private Christian/Catholic schools are comparable. The problem is until you are here, you need to visit the school first .... to make your own judgement, the are many SA's in different types of schools here .....

I would highly recommend that you investigate, http://www.bcc.act.edu.au/ .... we have just started our son there and can highly recommend it.

T

The problem is until you are here, you need to visit the school first .... to make your own judgement, the are many SA's in different types of schools here .....

T

Hi T, thanks or your reply and all the other advise you've been giving me :D Problem is we will only be in ACT round about December and I'm afraid by that time we might struggle to find a good school for my daughter because of waiting lists. <_<

I worry that my eldest 14 Year Old will fit in as he comes from a small private christian school in Pietermaritzburg.

How is Kaleen High School?

Add to that your thoughts on Lake Ginninderra College

I worry that my eldest 14 Year Old will fit in as he comes from a small private christian school in Pietermaritzburg.

How is Kaleen High School?

Hi Wade,

My eldest sons is 13 turning 14 this year and is in Gr8. My youngest is 10 turning 11 and is in Gr5. They are both going to attend Gold Creek School - one in the junior school and the other in the senior school. My boys also currently attend a Christian private school here in Jhb.

I have visited the school and were very happy. We drove past Kaleen School when we were over last year but did not go in as we won't be living in that area. The only way you will "get a feel" for a school is if you make an appointment and go to see it.

All government schools are non-denominational but they still follow Christian ethos and have Pastoral Care subjects.

You can also check on the school sites to see how well they did on the Naplan tests - this will give you some idea of the academics.

Good luck - it's hard making these type of decisions.

Louise

Lyneham High has a really good reputation and good results in the NAPLAN ...

Archived