South African Ict Sector Vs Australian Ict Sector

IamInACT

South African ICT Sector vs Australian ICT Sector  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which sector is more advanced?

• South African ICT
    • Australian ICT
  2. 2. Which offers better career advancement?

• South African ICT
    • Australian ICT
  3. 3. Which offers better overall development/ training?

• South African ICT
    • Australian ICT
  4. 4. What has the brightest stars / whizz kids?

• South African ICT
    • Australian ICT
  5. 5. Which sector is more restrictive/controlled?

• South African ICT
    • Australian ICT

Hi All.

I was hoping that you could spare a few moments to share youfr experiences in the South African ICT Sector vs Australian ICT Sector.. the reason for this is that I will be speaking at the ACS (Australia Computer Society) Canberra Congress. My presentation will provide a view of my experiences in the South African ICT environment and the challenges and differences between the South African and Australian ICT sectors. I will also cover the importance of ACS skills assessments for migration and what processes are needed to have skills assessed and overseas qualifications recognised in Australia.

I'm hoping to be able to get a broader insight in to other migrants experiences so this is why I posted this.

You assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks T

Ok. Here's a little of my experience regarding both small and large businesses - having worked for both in SA and Oz.

I'd say that the level of drive and skill in small businesses are almost on par. Money matters aside, I felt as challenged here as I was in SA, but not more so really.

As for big business - I am currently contract at one of the big 4. I'd say that they are on par with the banks in SA too. Because banks will be banks and IT in banks is... different.

That said, I've yet to see or hear of any company here in Oz (maybe Google I guess?) that compares to the innovation and drive that Discovery once held - I say once held, because I have heard rumours that certain areas of Discovery are losing their innovation.

On average, I'd say that the ACS vetting of skills is important. I've worked in the UK, SA and now Oz, and it was only in small companies and at Discovery that I ever felt pushed to learn and deliver. But that's the same in any industry... small boat with a few people rowing is easy to change course, but a big boat with lots of people rowing takes longer, but has more people rowing for in case some people can't row.

-G

Garrick, guess who :)

I moved from Life to Invest, because of what you are saying. Invest rocks now with our team making decisions to use technologies like JSF 2, Spring Java 6 and hopefully shortly Java 7

• 2 weeks later...

All done and dusted ... thanks G for the help ... Took a day off work to work on my presso and the buggers left behind .... had to wing it a bit!thumbup.gif

Archived