Amaroo

Toitjie

I am pretty much sold on Gungahlin. but there are so many little suburbs, which makes it very difficult to really decide now where you might be settling one day.

but the more and more I look at Amaroo, the more I like it. when I compared the primary schools, Gold Creek in Nicholls was first, then Amaroo, so that is a good sign. I look at as many streets as I could on google maps, and I must say, the impression I got from Nicholls is that its a very posh area, not sure if I just got certain houses by mistake, but definitely not an area that i think we will be able to afford right now (based purely on the looks of some of the houses there). I know, very subjective...

anyway, Amaroo looks very quiet and nice. Are there any more info anyone can give regarding this little suburb? Are there places in Gungahlin where you can go horseback riding? or maybe keep a horse? i like the idea of living almost next to "uncharted" territory, since this is so far north...but what is north of Amaroo? Is it nice fields and parks, or is it newly demarcated areas for new developments, with lots of truck and construction vehicles?

i would appreciate any sort of info anyone has...

its funny - when I did my LSD I stayed in the South, and drove almost to every suburb in the South. I thought that I would skip the north as I though we wont be going there. If it wasnt for CandiceM who invited me to her home, I would never have seen the north....my eternal thanx C.... :)

I was looking at Amaroo to, will let you know my thoughts on that in the next few weeks.

PS: I have not noticed anything on your side on FB, is it public knowledge or still hush!

Wade

Its public knowledge I guess...its just that most of the FB people are not that understanding, maybe I'm not giving credit, but I wasnt in the mood lately for explanations. Those of my friends who need to know, already know.

i will post right now on FB! get it over and done with... :)

The whole of Gungahlin is a nice area. Nicholls, certain parts of Ngunnawal and Amaroo have larger blocks of land, this make the areas feel more open. North of Amaroo is newer suburbs like Ford and other new developments. In the newer areas the sizes of the blocks became too small average around 550sqm which is cramped.

The only downside with Amaroo is with all the new developments traffic is becoming an issue of late. Nicholls is a nice area and the houses on the golf course is selling for over a million the same with certain houses in Amaroo and Ngunnawal. The best is to look at http://www.allhomes.com.au to get an idea of prices.

As far as I know there is some horse schools further to Murrumbateman, Sutton and Gundaroo. A couple of weeks ago I saw a person on horseback in Nicholls on the sidewalk, not sure whether it is legal or where she got the horse from. You will however not be allowed to keep a horse on your residential property. If you really want to keep some animals the best is to look at small farms in Murrumbateman, Sutton etc.

Hi! We actually drove through Amaroo that day. My sons school is in the area. I think Amaroo is a great little suburb! The only issue would be the 'traffic' but compared to Joburg it would be a non issue :-) north of Amaroo is Ford (so much of the suburb is in the process of getting built, but there are some protected park areas around the suburb) and north of that is NSW :-D. Amaroo is close to the Gungahlin town centre, schools and it is on Gungahlin Lake which has a great recreational area.

I would avoid Ngunnawal. I have a friend who is a social worker, she says she has A LOT of clients in that area and advised me against living there! Nicholls is also great and we also drove through there:-) the rents are going to be $450-$500 plus, but look at allhomes.com

I know there were some riding schools around Canberra so you should be able to stable a horse somewhere.

Candice

Archived