SIR to PR

duToits

Hi

If we came over on a SIR visa and then wanted to emmigrate permanently in a few years, do you still need 120 points or is there different requirements?

J

Hi J&j

On the SIR visa, you need to show (i.e. prove via electricity bills, payslips etc.) that you've lived and worked permanently for at least one year out of the first two years in a regional area of Australia before you can apply for PR.

So even though the SIR visa is valid for three years, you can apply for PR after two years. There are three ways of getting PR after the SIR visa:

1) Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS)

2) State/Territory Business Owner

3) On-shore State/Territory Nominated Independent (STNI)

I've attached a pdf file that outlines all SIR-specific details and discusses these three options. Best is to go through it in detail.

You do not necessarily need 120 points for PR after you've met the SIR visa requirements.

As far as I understand it, ANY permanent visa is obtainable after the SIR visa, as long as you meet the specific visa criteria of whatever alternative PR visa you choose.

If, for example, you decide NOT to go any of the above three PR routes after SIR and is e.g. in the fortunate position of having family in Oz, you can opt for the Skilled Australian-sponsored (PR) visa (as long as you meet the separate and unique requirements for that specific visa).

Good luck!

Liza :thumbdown:

SIR.pdf

Edited by kangaroo