JakesS: New at this, need help

JakesS

Just wanted to say hi. My wife and I decided to immigrate. Aus is a beautiful country we really want to make it our new home. We are totally new to this. It will be greatly appreciated if anyone can help us. We bought tickets for the Opportunities Australia Expo-Johannesburg Seminar.

Thanks

JakesS

Hi Jakes

Welcome to the Best Forum!

See you are from Kriel :ilikeit: Went to school there.

Hope to assist with ANY questions!

Elaine

Welcome to the forum - you could not of chosen a better place to start this journey

Enjoy the expo :ilikeit:

Welcome. Hope the expo is helpful. It wasnt for me.

You have to be very proactive in your process of coming to Aus. Even if you end up going through a migration agent you still have to do most of the leg work yourself. I would suggest you spend many hours on this forum and http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/ to research your specific case and your chances thoroughly. Every day the Aus door is being closed by the government or some of the RSA professions find that Aus no longer excepts their qualifications, so all in all things are constantly becoming more difficult. If you want to, go to the Expo on top of your own efforts, but dont put all your eggs in the Expo basket. Many of us never went to a Expo and made it, but I am sure it wont harm as part of your research. Things are constantly changing, there are changes coming in the middle of the year again. The skills list of professions also change regularly, for example my profession is not on the list any more, if we waited longer we would not have been able to live here in Aus. While you are waiting work on getting all your paperwork in order NOW, unabridged birth certs, unabridged marriage cert, new passports, army discharge papers, all qualifications in English etc. Spending time on domain.com.au and seek.com.au wont hurt either. Good luck.

the expo is onlu useful if you do your homework upfront. you will find mainly mining companies there together with reps of states. if you have a skill that can be assessed then you are at an advantage. but be fully informed before then by going to the DIAC website. unless its a 457 application a visa process is difficult to get off the ground; but it can be done (even without agents).good luck!

Thank you to all for the replies, I appreciate it. I'm an electrician working at an underground coal mine maybe the expo will be helpful. It would be nice to get out of the mining industry but firstly a foot in the doorway will be great. Thanks for the info. Lots of research to do. Lots of unanswered questions. This forum sounds like just the place.

• 3 weeks later...

this is definitely a forum worth belonging to....and dont ever feel shy about asking wierd questions, i asked lots in the beginning, and everyone was always helpful...

good luck with the biggest move you will ever make in your life...and keep us posted :)

oh and read through jordy's list of 100 things to do.its an awesome tool!!!

We bought tickets for the Opportunities Australia Expo-Johannesburg Seminar.

I can't seem to find the latest information regarding the Expo. Could you please forward me any information you have on it (date & time). It does not seem to appear on their website. My sister & her husband lives and works in Secunda and he is looking for other work. I thought I'd sow the seed of maybe giving Australia a go. It might be useful for them to start by going to the Expo.

Although I was already an Australian Citizen, we went to the expo shortly before I came back with my husband & children for their LSD trip. Then we went to an evening 'seminar' and another expo (all within the space of about 7 months). Whilst there was not much that was applicable to our situation, there were certain 'snippets' which I found to be useful. As the old saying goes, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

:D

Hi Heymanse

Unfortunately the seminar we attended was on the 19 Feb. It was held by Working In Visa. It was only a seminar not an expo, maybe that's why you couldn't find any info. I found another seminar that will be held later in March. You will find it at http://www.immagine-immigration.com , hope this will be helpful.

Ek is ook redelik nuut hier, maar die prosesse het al 'n paar jaar terug begin... (my state sponsorship application vir SA is vandag gelodge!)

Ek het 'n persoon hier in Pretoria wat nogal vinnig is met Unabridged Birth Certificates as jy belang stel. Die regering vat hopeloos te lank op hul eie. Ons het deur 'n plek wat by die hospitaal adverteer vir ons seuntjie s'n aansoek gedoen, maar na 4 maande was ek nie happy nie! Hulle toe gebel en gevra wat van die 6-8weke geword het, maar hulle het toe weer die regering geblameer wat 'n vreeslike agterstand het (no surprises there...), en toe gese dit sal NOG 'n verdere 4 maande vat!!! Ek die ou gekontak, en hy het dit toe binne 3 weke vir my reggehad (dis nou nadat hy uitgevind het dat die ander plek nooit die forms ingedien het nie!!!!)... teen sy FOOI natuurlik.

Inbox my as julle beslangstel om hom te gebruik dan stuur ek sy details.

Sterkte, en as ek raad kan gee, moenie TE haastig wees nie.

Hi JakesS,

I agree with Conradnel, don't be too hasy in wanting to go, this process takes time and effort and lots of both but is well worth it in the end.

No question that you ask here is classified as "stuip" we were all ignorant at some stage or another and it is thanks to many of the people on this forum that have helped us learn and some of has us have made lifelong friends here, we all know the difficulties you will be facing and will do our best to help see you through them.

Enjoy the expo even if it is just for the feeling of being in this thing, we went last year and even though it was not for my hubby's jop it felt good seeing so many people in the same boat as us asking a lot of the same questions.

Good luck in your journey.

T

Thank you to everyone, I appreciate all the Help and support. I know this forum will be a lot of help.

Thank you to all for the replies, I appreciate it. I'm an electrician working at an underground coal mine maybe the expo will be helpful. It would be nice to get out of the mining industry but firstly a foot in the doorway will be great. Thanks for the info. Lots of research to do. Lots of unanswered questions. This forum sounds like just the place.

Hi Jakes

My hubby is also an underground electrician, mostly in Witbank, Middelburg, Standerton area......... oh and a stint in Namibia too. We are now in Queensland, the town is called Moranbah. Have a look at this Map of coal mines in Bowen basin and you will see just how many mines there are.

The mining industry is booming in Australia, with salaries of double the national average. If you have longwall experience, that would be very good.

You will have to look at having a skills assessment done. It's a few years since hubby did it, so look through any threads on this forum relating to electricians and skills assessments. Vetassess used to do tradesmen from RSA, so I would start there.

Is the mine at Kriel an Anglo one? If so why don't you go onto their career website and search for careers in Australia. You might also want to look on Seek, here you can see the main regions in Australia for mining, check salaries and note key words in the job descriptions so that you can adapt your resume to be attractive to potential employers.

Most of the positions state that you must be resident in Australia, but do some searching to see if you can potentially hook up with an employer who will sponsor you with a job and may even help with costs of getting over here ( this is getting harder though, unless you are an engineer!)

Anyway, good luck, start reading this forum, as well as the Immigration dept and ask as many questions as you need to. It may take some time, but if you put in the effort ( and unfortunately the money!) you will get here

Archived