Absolutely Desperate

Carl Odendaal

Need 457 sponsor and work, preferably QLD.

Retrenched last week, operations manager in the gas industry. Qualified as an aircraft engineer, extensive sales and marketing experience in the compressor and power generation industry. Also have extensive workshop experience as well as product and project management.

Carl

Sorry to hear that you have been retrenched, hope you find a sponsor soon.

Retrenched last week, operations manager in the gas industry. Qualified as an aircraft engineer, extensive sales and marketing experience in the compressor and power generation industry. Also have extensive workshop experience as well as product and project management.

Carl

I would suggest you get your CV in tip top condition and in Aussie format. Then go on ALL the job search engines like seek.com.au and apply for ALL the relevant jobs you see Australia wide. If you are really desperate to come over, your priority is to get your foot in the Aus door, you can cherry pick Queensland at a later stage once your visa status has improved, there is no such luxuries at this stage for you. I would also google ALL possible combinations of gas industry/work/Australia and contact all the companies in person. Dont take no for a answer, send that CV and follow up. It is going to be tough, but not impossible. Good luck.

Hi Carl,

We have been there done that! We were on a 457 two years ago and got retrenched. Like rozellem said now is not the time to be picky. You need to get your CV updated into Aussie format, compose a kick-a$$ covering letter and spend a lot of time on seek etc. I sent over 100 CV's off before we landed a job. We moved from Perth to Canberra in order to take up the job and it was in the height of the GFC. We were lucky in that the retrenching company did apply for an ENS on our behalf though. These days the 457 visas are easier to tranfer and that is a plus. There are definitely some people in this forum who have moved jobs and states on a 457, someone if I recall correctly some have done it more then once.

My suggestion would be to also approach some of the big companies in your line of work and cold call them, send in your CV. Speak to collegues and get peoples names etc. My husbands current job is because someone he met on the train gave him a number. Turned out to be a really good job.

Don't give up!

Candice

If you are really desperate to come over, your priority is to get your foot in the Aus door,

I think Carl is already in Aus on a 457 and would now have 28 days to find a job or leave the country.

@Carl - I really do hope you find something soon.

Carl

Have you tried Qantas yet? Just a thought...

Are you in Aus already?

Carelene

Look at cities where there are major airline hubs (Melbourne and Sydney?), you should use that aircraft technician skills to your advantage. Good Luck!

Carl

Carl, check your inbox

Carl, check your inbox

Thanks, much appreciated, found a couple of options for work, need to move as time is running out, will keep you guys update.....

Archived