Moving home

Garrick

Ok, so we're looking to move home (rentals) and was wonderring if anyone had a good reference for movers for us.

We'd need to get them in to actually see all our stuff to see what size truck we'd need...I'm guessing not small.

I've posed questions to twomen.comau and movemystuff.com.au but I'm looking for experiences/recommendations for Melbourne people. :)

Thanks,

-G

I once used Chess and once used Crown and once did it ourselves. Chess was good, Crown also, the worst was doing the move ourselves, never again.

The only advice I can give, they do not usually quote you on the move, but quote you an hourly rate, which you have to pay from the time they leave their depot, until they get back to their depot. They usually only supply two people with the truck.

So.. the more organised and packed up and ready to go you are, the less time it will take and the less you will end up paying.

Thanks Mara.

Got quotes from 3 places.

Twomen.com.au quotes us at like $240 ph with 4 guys and a 9 ton truck with 30 minutes charged for depot-to-you (eish).

Move My Stuff said to take a 6t truck with 2 guys @ $130ph (no "flagfall")

Mandy Movers (actually gave them a rough list of contents) suggest two trucks, 4t and 6t giving capacity similar to 40ft container, @ $190pk with 30 minute you-to-depot.

MM said it could take 6-12 hours...but it's hard to say.

Eish... 12 hours at that rate...that's expensive. We plan to have everything packed/emptied that they are to move... we can move the clothes ourselves... Scary to realise how much stuff we had to get once we arrived...

-G

Garrick, what we did was rallied the friends around, and they helped us to move all the boxes and the small stuff, hubby has a ute and my company vehicle is a ute, so that helped a hell of a lot, but it still took us around 6-8 hours, on both moves.

When we did it ourselves it took us three days, so as I said, never, ever again!

Good luck, I hope it goes well.

Hi Garrick

We moved all the small stuff - boxes, clothes etc , we hired a trailer to do this. We got a moving company to do the large furniture. It was really hard work because the assistance provided by the moving company was pathetic. They were not professional about it at all. We only moved 10 km so it was achievable but as Mara says it is really hard work.

Penny

We used Pro Movers a couple years back. They were fast and had reasonable rates.

Thanks Nessa, contacting them now to see.

-G

Moving is a pain! Anyone who needs to do it on a tight budget like we did might want to look at renting a truck from Budget or Thrifty. We got a 3 ton truck with a hydraulic lift rated to 500kg, which seriously alleviates a lot of the grunt work ... hubby and I even managed to move the upright piano without damaging it, unlike our international movers ... anyway, the hire rate for during the week was only $99 per day + diesel (I think it's over $200/day on weekends). Our smallish 3-bedroom place needed 3 loads, easily done in a day if it's not too far and you're well organised ...

Worth bearing in mind as a full or partial solution, but yes, it's a big mission, no cover for damages etc etc.

Moving is a pain! ...

Worth bearing in mind as a full or partial solution, but yes, it's a big mission, no cover for damages etc etc.

We don't have oodles to throw at moving, however, I grew up moving around South African and I've packed, unpacked and moved so many times I don't want to even contemplate having to do the big stuff too.

I want all the big stuff, in one or two trucks, done in one trip in one day - preferably just a few hours... We can ferry all our clothes and other small stuff ourselves.

-G

Cant remember the tna,e of the guys who moved us...but I also moved the small stuff and a few boxes myself and then the truck with 2 guys moved the big things and the last of the boxes...@$150 and hour it still cost us $600 odd at the end of the day (thats with a 45 minute travelling fee)..all in all not too bad....best to take a bigger truck if in doubt, if its too small you dont want to end up doing 2 trips!

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, we're giving Pro Movers a go. It's just him and another guy, with a 8.5ton truck or so. But that works out a lot cheaper than the other places. Around $110/hr.

I'll post back here with feedback once we've moved. :)

-G

Cool! Hope you will be happy with them. I recommended them to another friend a few months ago and she was pleased with their service.

A quick tip - they work really fast so I found it was helpful to label all boxes with their destination room at the new house - by the time I'd shown one bloke where I wanted a piece of furniture the other had come back with another load and didn't know where to put it!

We normally rent a van here in Sydney for $60 a day and take all the loose/small/precious stuff ourselves on the one day and get two men and a truck (with back door lift thingy) the next day for the big/heavy stuff. It helps to have everything dismantled and ready for them to pick up.

Another tip: Always take the first slot of the day with the movers, its normally 7am. We learned from our mistake of taking the second slot of the day (11am)and them only coming at 4pm because their first move of the day ran over!!!

Another thing I just remembered: If you have carpets to get steam cleaned before moving out, make sure you get a FIRM quote from the carpet cleaners. I was so ripped off the last time we moved: they gave me an 'estimate' of $55 over the phone and ended up charging over $100 on the day. I had to get the carpets cleaned and the keys returned that day, so I had no choice but to pay up. Infuriating!

• 1 month later...

Ok... so move is 95% done. Last few items Michelle will fetch during the week when she goes back to clean.

My feedback on the movers.

The didn't estimate right...we did 3 or 4 trips of taking our ix35 through before the move, even then, we had to load it on the day, as well as today, as well as fill a big Toyota 4x4. Guess that house really had a lot of storage space. They also seemed to ignore the nice orange FRAGILE tape we put on stuff... thankfully, M packed the kitchen stuff in bubble wrap, so it surbived. The couch (fake leather type thing) has a scratch along the top back edge. The leather footboard of the one bed (brand new...) has the same.

They were definitely fast though... arrived at 08H15, and were gone at 15H30, though I did help carry stuff to the truck towards the end (wasn't sure if I should or not) and then helped take stuff from the truck. Don is a nice guy, but we were just a bit disappointed in the handling of the fragile stuff.

If you don't mind a few bumps and scratches, then they're probably the cheapest, fastest solution. Next time though, we may well give Grace a chance if they have more truck volume.

-G

Archived