How to go about looking for a job from South Africa?

JennyG

Hey guys, I would just like to know how you guys started the process of looking for a job from South Africa. Ok, I know the first thing will be to get an Aussie formated cv, than get some names of agencies. But what than? Do you start sending out your cv to all agencies?

What about job being advertised? Do you only email your cv through with a cover letter?

My suggestion would be to set up daily job alerts on all the major AUS websites and start responding, remember that selection criteria can be really important here. Ensure that you answer then using the STAR method. Most jobs have a contact number, if it is a job that you would really like then call the person on the adverts and have a chat with them , let them know your situation....

On your CV leave off most info that would show that you are still in SA .... maybe just your SA contact number. I'm of the opinion that it is difficult trying to get a job from SA .... so expect many late nights and not much success. But it is worth the effort.

Regards

T

My suggestion would be to set up daily job alerts on all the major AUS websites and start responding, remember that selection criteria can be really important here. Ensure that you answer then using the STAR method. Most jobs have a contact number, if it is a job that you would really like then call the person on the adverts and have a chat with them , let them know your situation....

On your CV leave off most info that would show that you are still in SA .... maybe just your SA contact number. I'm of the opinion that it is difficult trying to get a job from SA .... so expect many late nights and not much success. But it is worth the effort.

Regards

T

It can be a really depressing experience = sending off 100's of CV's and hardly any replies but don't get despondent! Somewhere, somehow the right person at the right time will see the right CV - Yours!!

Just a question = what is the STAR method? (or am I being a dill?)

:)

Win

Hi Winn, thanks for the motivation!

Yeah, star method? Don't know either.

Where can I get more info on selection criteria?

BTW, should the cv be in Australian format?

It can be a really depressing experience = sending off 100's of CV's and hardly any replies but don't get despondent! Somewhere, somehow the right person at the right time will see the right CV - Yours!!

I agree, it does get depressing. I've applied for numerous commercial positions in the construction industry in Brisbane and although there does seem to be a boom (and it generally will not be difficult to secure a position), the agents usually reply that they've found someone with better suited experience (my interpretation = Oz experience). I'm now trying to contact the companies directly....no success yet but I'll keep on trying. It is obviously more difficult if one is still in SA as Oz companies would rather prefer a candidate which is 'ready to go' and no long wait (immigration) period...but.....Perseverance and FAITH is the key! I will get something before we go !!!

I agree, it does get depressing. I've applied for numerous commercial positions in the construction industry in Brisbane and although there does seem to be a boom (and it generally will not be difficult to secure a position), the agents usually reply that they've found someone with better suited experience (my interpretation = Oz experience). I'm now trying to contact the companies directly....no success yet but I'll keep on trying. It is obviously more difficult if one is still in SA as Oz companies would rather prefer a candidate which is 'ready to go' and no long wait (immigration) period...but.....Perseverance and FAITH is the key! I will get something before we go !!!

My Husband contacted a couple of employment agents & the feedback was (not in the same words) - unless you are in Oz, don't bother. We decided to rather focus on sorting our things out before we left and not waste energy and emotions on a futile exercise, which just causes unnecessary anxiety. We waited until we got here & for the holiday season to be over & he got a job, in his field no probelm. In fact it was a slightly higher position than he had back in SA.

Hey guys, I would just like to know how you guys started the process of looking for a job from South Africa. Ok, I know the first thing will be to get an Aussie formated cv, than get some names of agencies. But what than? Do you start sending out your cv to all agencies?

What about job being advertised? Do you only email your cv through with a cover letter?

www.seek.com.au

Get your CV in Aussie format (www.nabthatjob.com.au can help you here). Include a one-page covering letter that tells the reader who you are, what you are capable of and why you are the best candidate for the job they are advertising. You have a few short moments of the readers attention, so use them well. Your CV should include a 1/2 page on your educational qualifications (very NB), then a 1/2 page on your current job, then a 1/4 page for each of your previous jobs. No more than 3-5 pages at most. Do not include letters of reference or certificates etc - these will come later. Run a spell check on your CV to catch the typo's.

Create for yourself one or more custom searches on seek, tailored to the kinds of jobs you are looking for. The early bird catches the worm, so when an opportunity comes up be sure to follow up ASAP.

Start a tracking spreadsheet to record the CV's that you send out. Make sure your CV is in the format requested (usually Word is preferred, not Pdf).

I have used this approach twice; once in South Africa and once in Oz. In SA I approached around 20 companies before one of them said "yes". In Oz I approached about the same number. It certainly wasn't 100's.

In Australia the custom is not to respond if you are unsuccessful. Don't take it personally! This is important to remember if you are approaching companies directly who have not advertised for positions.

If you see a position similar to but not quite matching the one you are looking for, call the company and speak to the consultant handling that advertisement (if you can). They may have an alternative position available on their books, or perhaps the hiring company has some flexibility on their requirements. Thats what happened to me. Turned out the company had a long list of requirements, but favoured some qualities more than others.

All the best!

Tex

The star method is

Situation—Outline a specific circumstance where you developed the particular experience or used the required skills or qualities. Set the context of the situation.

Task—What was your role? What did you have to do?

Actions—What did you do and how did you do it?

Results—What did you achieve? What were the results of what you did?

If you google selection criteria there are lots of websites with hints and tips on how to go about answering them.

• 7 months later...

Like others have said, dont be despondent and dont give up, it wiill happen eventually.

I tried through the agencies for quite a while before giviing up with them as they all said the same thing, come over here and we will get you a job no worries mate. It is quite understandable, they only get paid when the candidate is placed/working and if you need to get over to Aus that can take some time so in my experience even if you are better for the position they wont put you up for it as they will then wait longer for their money. Most companies now post joobs on their own sites as well as go via agents so make a list of all the companies in your field and keep checking their sites and try apply directly. If you can get here

There is a shortage here and the govt is pushing to increase immigration via employer sponsor rather than the old PR so that might make it a bit easier in the next few years.

• 3 weeks later...

If I can suggest, apply through companies websites directly - so, do a search on companies in your industry and then look on their websites for roles. A covering letter is very important to indicate your position (i.e. your visa status) - try looking at this website www.applydirect.com.au they advertise jobs directly and no agencies - more and more companies are doing this. I work at Anglo American here in Brisbane and we are advertising on applydirect more :)

Good luck

Archived