Need a PC boffin

Mikimont

Hi there .... I really need some help with my PC , courtesy of mail & guardian I landed up with the system tool virus ... it managed to get through kapersky ....

Anyhow I took it into our local PC fixer who managed to sorta fix it :P It was draggy , lost my IE 8 , etc etc .. I took it back and they were less than sympathetic and installed firefox .

I wasnt a happy bunny and decided to format it , which BTW I have done before with no problem . NOW I cant install IE 7/8 its says not a vaild Win 32 something or the other , my game ( command and conquer wont work) .... I have installed all the drivers .

I have win XP service pack 2

2 ghz

1500 ram

8500 nvidea graphics card

So if anyone has a clue id really appreciate it .. im wondering if the numbnuts have damaged a ram chip :(

Its very difficult to analyse the problem without being able to inspect the pc but it sound like a hardware problem.

If you say that you have installed all the drivers and they are all functioning as they should in the device manager then

I would suggest you format you pc again try from scratch.

Ram is not that expensive so if you think it might be the ram I would suggest buying some new ram.

Windows XP can address up to 4GB if I'm not mistaken.

Hi there .... I really need some help with my PC , courtesy of mail & guardian I landed up with the system tool virus ... it managed to get through kapersky ....

So if anyone has a clue id really appreciate it .. im wondering if the numbnuts have damaged a ram chip :)

[/quote

I have seen issues like this and it is usually one of two that resolve the problem. The first being - faulty ram - which you already suspect. Usually if it is ram you would have experienced problems while formatting and installing XP. The other candidate is the hard drive, the errors experienced mean that XP can't read the required sectors, either into ram or from ram in an orderly way to present the program to you. IE7 / 8 is part of XP and cant be uninstalled, I suggest try a new ram module(remove any existing), if you have more than one module, remove 1 at a time and see if it gets better. If that does not work, then its most likely your hard drive.

Hope this helps - shout if you need more assistance.

MNG

Thanks Guys .....

:)

If you post the actual error message with the error code listed I might be able to help you troubleshoot the problem.

Another thing you could try is installing Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Thanks Jacques

I opened up the box and the SOBS have swopped ram chips , the bugger is I cant prove it , and to be quite honest im under so much stress at the moment I cant be bothered ..... ill flog it and get a laptop .. which we were going to do in a few months

:) ta tho ...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mikimont

I am willing to have a look at it for you if you dont come right. I am in the Pinetown / Queensburgh area.

Its quite common for these little PC shops to change parts around, but like you said to prove it is the problem.

Regards

Danie

IE 7/8 its says not a vaild Win 32"

Does the default installed IE6 work (XP)? It sounds like you are trying to install a 64 bit browser so that can explain why you get the message.

I would run Windows update and install IE8 from there.

Archived