Quantas fares confusing

Almost Aussie

Direct flights between Perth and Johannesburg are offered by both SAA and Quantas although only SAA operates on the route. It’s common knowledge that Quantas will always be around $50 more expensive for the same flight/plane than SAA per ticket should you fly from Perth to Johannesburg. What really confuses me is that my parents are planning a visit to Perth later in the year and got quotes from both SAA and Quantas for the same dates/flights (Johannesburg to Perth) and guess what, Quantas came out R1400 cheaper per ticket. Why’s that? AUD/ZAR exchange rate? Note that Quantas’ quote is in SA rands and all inclusive just as SAA.

Direct flights between Perth and Johannesburg are offered by both SAA and Quantas although only SAA operates on the route. It’s common knowledge that Quantas will always be around $50 more expensive for the same flight/plane than SAA per ticket should you fly from Perth to Johannesburg. What really confuses me is that my parents are planning a visit to Perth later in the year and got quotes from both SAA and Quantas for the same dates/flights (Johannesburg to Perth) and guess what, Quantas came out R1400 cheaper per ticket. Why’s that? AUD/ZAR exchange rate? Note that Quantas’ quote is in SA rands and all inclusive just as SAA.

Just to add to this. Should they fly during March, Quantas charges R8357 but SAA R10338 per ticket. The same route and dates from Perth to Johannesburg is Quantas $1676 and SAA $1639. Amazing!

There are country specific specials sometimes. I have the same thing with the US, a ticket from here to there return is often more expensive than a ticket from there to here return.

Keep in mind that each airline has an allocated quantity of seats on the code-share flight and they are responsible for selling their own inventory. In your case maybe SAA has sold more seats than Qantas which is why Qantas is offering a cheaper fare to sell "their" seats.

Purchased tickets for my son on Sunday for a flight in June (Jhb – Perth) and both SAA and Qantas had the same price R6,300 + tax.

Just to add to this. Should they fly during March, Quantas charges R8357 but SAA R10338 per ticket. The same route and dates from Perth to Johannesburg is Quantas $1676 and SAA $1639. Amazing!

Dear Almost Aussie

All airlines work on yield management, basically they allocated x amount of seats for fare XX

Onces those x seats are sold, then the next higher fare is sold for fare YY and so on.

If I look at the current fares in March

Joburg/Perth return

Qantas Fare ZAR6930.00 + Taxes

SAA fARE : ZAR 6670.00 + Taxes

It would be safe to assume that when they check the availability for a certain date that perhaps SAA was sold out of " L" class seats . They should perhaps

check the dates around the dates they want to travel.

In general Qantas taxes are higher than the SAA taxes , thats why the difference in fare

Hope that helps

Regards

Enrica

Archived