Feta Cheese

Mary

Hi

I absolutely love feta cheese and my favourite was the Simonsberg feta in South Africa - can anyone recommend a feta in Australia that comes close to Simonsberg? I can't explain it but the feta I've bought here so far just isn't the same. I have bought the Cape.. something make, and it's too hard, not salty enough, and it just doesn't taste nice. I've also tried the danish feta from the Deli in Coles - it's OK, but very creamy, not crumbly. Help!!

Thanks,

Mary

Hi

I absolutely love feta cheese and my favourite was the Simonsberg feta in South Africa - can anyone recommend a feta in Australia that comes close to Simonsberg? I can't explain it but the feta I've bought here so far just isn't the same. I have bought the Cape.. something make, and it's too hard, not salty enough, and it just doesn't taste nice. I've also tried the danish feta from the Deli in Coles - it's OK, but very creamy, not crumbly. Help!!

Thanks,

Mary

South Cape cheese the best! Made in Tasmania

South Cape cheese the best! Made in Tasmania

Yes I like this one best too, but I like the Pesto one and the garlic one too!

Try the Sheep’s Feta by Keba it’s a Bulgarian one and really tasty or White pearl feta by Grandvewe. Harris Farmers in St Ives stocks both brands otherwise you can contact them on http://www.grandvewe.com.au/grandvewe-chee...an-sheep-cheese they have a fantastic range of sheep’s cheese your tastebuds will think they reached heaven.

Grandvewe Sheep’s Ice- cream is heaven sent… We big supporters of their Fleur – lavender cheese and their Pecorino, their Sapphire blue has each time been very popular when we have done a cheese platter… They have a number of other cheeses that have been a real pleasure on the tastebuds.

Mayers Feta - soft and creamy - Woolworths. I found it the closest to my tastebuds liking, and prefer it to the Persian Feta.

I can't explain it but the feta I've bought here so far just isn't the same. I have bought the Cape.. something make, and it's too hard, not salty enough, and it just doesn't taste nice. I've also tried the danish feta from the Deli in Coles - it's OK, but very creamy, not crumbly. Help!!

I agree 100%. I have felt the same about the feta here. I will try to give the suggested ones a try but so far I haven't found the perfect feta.

OK now the Feta problem is solved what Mayo do you buy?

I must have thrown out bottles of the stuff by now ??????

Fern

OK now the Feta problem is solved what Mayo do you buy?

I must have thrown out bottles of the stuff by now ??????

Fern

I use Kraft mayonnaise in the squeeze bottle - or Hellmans Light (it's the same Hellmans Light that I used in South Africa)

The Kraft mayo is definitely worth buying. We love it!

Heinz salad cream or Thomy

I buy Praise. It seems pretty good to me... unless I have just gotten used to it!!

Yep, Im on Praise too, just make sure you don't get the 97% fat free one ! (I was a Crosse & Blackwell mayo person in my previous life )

Im a crosse and Blackwell mayo or Nola Mayo person, which brand is the closest?

We dont use a lot of mayo so, I always get Cross and Blackwell from the RSA shop, but at $9.50 a bottle I use it sparingly. The mayo in the shops here does not (to me) have that bite the RSA stuff has. If I have "local" mayo in the fridge I squeeze in lemon juice and bit of mustard to give it some taste.

http://springbokdelights.com.au/home.php?cat=301

We use Dodoni feta, after trying many types. You will have to get a huge selection, over a period of time, and write down what you think of them, until you get to one you like. I have been around the globe a few times and is a huge feta fan and have never come across the Simonsberg way of making feta other than in RSA. Funny enough, now after almost 14 years out of RSA, I find the Simonsberg feta really difficult to stomach when I visit RSA. And I used to eat it right out of the tub!

The only mayo I have found that is edible, to me, is Heinz Salad Cream.

I love the "Whole Egg" Mayonnaise, and it is also Range Free made.........;)

The only mayo I have found that is edible, to me, is Heinz Salad Cream.

I agree, this is what I use. Sometimes I also use the whole egg one by Hellman's in potato salads, normally I mix it up with smooth cottage cheese or sour cream or the Heinz salad cream, to give it a bit of bite.

What TEA to buy? So far the tea we've had is pretty weak, and this is 'extra strong' according to the tag. Our friend (we're staying with) says it's the strongest, and that when she went to the UK the tea there was super-strong so she brought back 2 boxes after her trip.

I really really really despise weak, milky tea (everyone comments on how strong we make ours and it looks like caramel LOL), what brands out there are good, strong tea?

(Once we sort things out and find our own place to stay we're going to shop for stuff like feta cheese - your comments/recommendations have been noted ;) )

What TEA to buy?

I buy Lipton black label (in a yellow box), but my sis in law swears by Dilmah, they have extra strong tea bags.

I have also bought about 4 bottles of Mayo since I arrived ( only 3 weeks ago) and it all tastes awful to me! I am not a mayo person really but my family like it and thankfully found some Cross and Blackwell in the local IGA on this shelf of SA foods. Kids went crazy and threw zoo biscuits and chocolate logs in too!

Hi all

Just as a matter of interest - here are a two things that I have found here in Aus, that come very close to the SA versions...

Tastic Rice = "Sun Rice - par-boiled" - in an orange and red packet

Yogi Sip = "Good to Go" - in the milk section of the supermarkets (delicious!)

I'm still on a quest to find a good vienna sausage here - nothing beats good old Eskort viennas for hot dogs!!!

Archived