Meeting up with ex South African Teenagers

KathyW

Hi guys,

Are there any 19/20 year olds North of the River who could meet up with my Granddaughter to help her settle down in Australia.

She is here 2 months now and feels a bit down and misses her mates so much, my grandson is 16 turning 17 and is feeling the same way.

Please let me know if I can come right here on some sort of introductions..........

Hey Kathy

Sorry I can't help you but I just wanted to say that I read your post & I understand! It is very kind of you to try & help them. We just want our kids (& grandkids) to be happy & feel accepted.

We live in Brisbane (just moved here from Adelaide) and my children (13 & 15) know absolutely nobody! It's been a loooong school holiday & my similar post on the forum also provided no mates :thumbdown: They just stay online to their Adelaide friends all day long & it drives me nuts!

Today my 18 year old stepson arrives from SA to live here. It's a huge thing for us. But I am more worried about it being a huge thing for him, as all his friends are still there, starting Varsity etc. We are thinking we will get him to learn to drive first and hopefully get a job ASAP so he can meet some Aussies. He also plays rugby so he will try & join a club.

One thing you could try is to host a coffee morning at your house (advertise on the Perth Communities thread) and when you speak to people ask them to bring their families, or suss out if they have kids. It's a difficult age but not impossible to meet people.

I just wanted to say good luck to you and your grandkids, I'm sure they will start meeting people soon...

Regards, Bronwyn

Has your grandchildren considered joining any of the local clubs ? Surfing club, push bike club, hiking club etc There some great churches in Perth see link http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=31498 and they have very active youth ministry often great place to build new friendships. Many of the churches will haveing summer camps on and great opportunity to join up and meet new people.

Hi KathyW

If you contact the www.afrikaans.org.au club in oz, you can hook your kids up with the youth club that go on camping trips and other adventures together. Hope this helps. There is also things like camping out at Noosa in Jan for the family and much more. My friends go alot and they really enjoy it alot.

Steph

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kathy

We have been in Australia now for three years, living up here in Darwin. My daughter moved to Perth about 5 months ago. She lives just north of the river close to the airport, as she works there. Send me a PM and I can give you her number. She got a big circle of friends and they seem to have fun, like 20 year olds should have.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody? Somebody?

Sorry, would love to help as I have and 19 year old daughter that has done the rounds (from SA to UK and then to Adelaide and then to Perth) but we are south of the river. If you like I can put her in contact with my daughter, maybe they can just chat.

Archived