Drivers Licence

Kita

I have just read on the site that your 3 months for driving on your South African Licence starts from the date your visa was granted. Does this mean that if we are only leaving 6 months after grant that we cannot drive until we have WA Licences. I hope I am reading it wrong as what do you do when you arrive and want to hire a car.

Thanks Kita

I will be getting a international drivers license which I'm told is valid for 3 years.

Don't worry about an int drivers , it is from 3 months on arrival not from date of visa...

The reason I am looking at getting an international drivers license is because I was told it can be used in Australia for 3 YEARS, not just 3 months.

This gives you a bit more time to get your Australian drivers license.

Here are a web link for WA: http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20668.asp

What if you’re planning to stay? Not a visitor anymore...

If you hold a permanent residence visa and you intend to live in WA, you are no longer considered to be a visitor.

You must apply for a WA driver's licence within three (3) months of the grant of your permanent residence visa, as your overseas driver's licence will not be recognised after this time.

Just do you licence application ASAP on arival. They know that most of the people ariving on PR are past the 3 month period and they don't enforece it so strictly.

Robbie, Deon is correct. Dont waste your time getting an International drivers licence. You have 3 months and thats it.

wow thats a relief - so it is only from arrival. Was wondering how we were going to get anywhere with 6 of us and twelve bags. Thanks for the quick replies, I really dont know what we would do with out this forum, and I hope when I get to Oz I will also be able to give all the answers to those in the same boat as me now.

Thanks Kita

Kita, I think Deon is correct in saying you have three months from date of visa grant. (For WA anyway) Our three months had already expired when we arrived. My husband drove for five months on no licence (even bought a car) but I was too nervous, so I did mine three weeks after I arrived (five months after he arrived here)

I advise you to go for one or two lessons and use the instructors car. They didn't seem s strict or unreasonable as I recall doing my licence as a teenager (or maybe the instructor could see how nervous I was and took pity on me) :lol:

From the australian immigration website (http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia/settle-in-australia/to-do-first/apply-drivers.htm)

"Please note: If you are a permanent resident visa holder and have a current driver's licence from another country, in English or with an official translation, in most states and territories you are allowed to drive for your first three months after arrival. In Western Australia, the three month period begins when you are granted your permanent residency visa, not when you arrive in Australia."

Archived