Mountain or molehill?

Hannellie

Hi

As the time to fly comes closer, many doubts are settling in ... many questions left unanswered. Just hope we are doing the rights thing to proceed with the move! Need heaps of advice, will appreciate if anyone can respond to some:

1. We have done a lot of research re suburbs in Perth, can anyone recommend good suburbs (I have to commute to Henderson Naval Base, my children to Murdoch University) if possible, approx cost of rentals

2. Can the kitchens generally accommodate big top loader washing machines or better to take undercounder front loader with?

3. How expensive is furniture in Oz, we have to decide whether to move our stuff or start over?

4. Are houses to let equipped with blinds / curtains or best to take some with?

We have completed most of the paperwork and have been for the medicals, our application should be lodged in another week, I am very anxious about all the uncertainties but too late to change my mind, already signed an emp-loyment contract.

Look forward to your advice!

Hannellie

Hello Hannellie

I cant answer all your questions and this is just my opinion but I think it is better to bring your furniture with you. You will get very little for it second hand in ZA and the cost to replace it here will be expensive.

All the houses that I have seen have a laundry room so there will be plenty of space for any kind of washing machine and a drier. I have never seen a house without a laundry room and the I think Australians would be very surprised to hear that in ZA some of us have a washing machine in the kitchen.

When we were looking for rentals all the houses to lease had blinds or curtains (mostly blinds).

Good luck

Michael

I see the naval base is just outside Rockingham. The area you will want to look at is Baldivis (pronounced Bell-die-vis with the "vis" like as in vista). Other areas well worth considering are Secret Harbour, and Golden Bay.

As for furniture, I would suggest looking at the websites of some of Aus' retailers. this will give you an idea of prices.

Start with http://www.lasoo.com.au/ for the catalogues of all the retailers.

Then go to www.harveynorman.com.au and www.fantasticfurniture.com.au

Hello Hannellie

I cant answer all your questions and this is just my opinion but I think it is better to bring your furniture with you. You will get very little for it second hand in ZA and the cost to replace it here will be expensive.

All the houses that I have seen have a laundry room so there will be plenty of space for any kind of washing machine and a drier. I have never seen a house without a laundry room and the I think Australians would be very surprised to hear that in ZA some of us have a washing machine in the kitchen.

When we were looking for rentals all the houses to lease had blinds or curtains (mostly blinds).

Good luck

Michael

Thanks Michael!

I see the naval base is just outside Rockingham. The area you will want to look at is Baldivis (pronounced Bell-die-vis with the "vis" like as in vista). Other areas well worth considering are Secret Harbour, and Golden Bay.

As for furniture, I would suggest looking at the websites of some of Aus' retailers. this will give you an idea of prices.

Start with http://www.lasoo.com.au/ for the catalogues of all the retailers.

Then go to www.harveynorman.com.au and www.fantasticfurniture.com.au

Thanks!

Archived