Teaching in South Australia

Dax

People who are interested in teaching in South Australia may fin the following links/websites useful:

The South Australian Education Department (DECS) is the department that oversees state education in South Australia.

The vacancies page provides links to

Leadership Positions

Permanent teaching positions

Temporary teaching positions

Non-Teaching positions (e.g. school services officers)

: http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/portal/employmen...achinSA&id=2453

Another important organisation is the South Australian Teachers Registration Board.

This is the body that overseas teacher qualification standards, registration requirements and professional conduct in South Australia. One may not teach in South Australia unless you have registered with the Teachers Registration Board.

Their website is:

http://www.trb.sa.edu.au

Hope you find it useful.

If you want to look at the private schools you will have to look at the vacancies advertisements in the local newspaper, The Advertiser, especially the Saturday edition.

The website is:

www.theadvertiser.com

and follow the links to job vacancies.

Cheers,

Dax

I suggest for Private Independent and Christian Schools vacancies visit: www.teachers.on.net

These schools are more likely to sponsor overseas teachers.

Cheers Riaan

The State schools in South Australia are run by the South Australian Education Dep't which requires new teachers, whether they are straight out of teacher's college or from interstate / overseas, to pretty well do an "apprenticeship" period of two to three years in the countryside of South Australia.

I have a mate who graduated from teacher's college in 1979, refused to go teaching the south east of South Australia and, consequently, has never received a permanent appointment teaching in Adelaide.

If he were to be appointed, it would cause problems with other teachers asking why they had to go for two to three years in the country before getting an appointment in Adelaide whilst my mate didn't need to.

Any qualified teacher coming from interstate or overseas who is not prepared to go teaching in a country town in South Australia would basically only have the option of apply for positions in Adelaide in private schools.

The main private school organisations are the churches:

Lutheran Church of Australia

Anglican Church of Australia

Catholic Church

Independent Christian Parent-Controlled Association

Their websites can be seen on

www.google.com.au

Good Luck

Another thing to bear in mind is that once you do secure a permanent teaching position ( in state schools) and resign from that, you will not be able to get another permanent position. I have a friend who taught for several years in South Australia and Queensland before starting a family, then resigned to bring up her kids while they were young and now works as a supply teacher, as the "rules" state that once you resign, you can't ever go back to a permanent position (she tells me). She half prefers it that way, because she is paid more, but of course does not have any job security or some of the other benefits that come with a permanent post. However, she has been working as a "supply" teacher at our local primary school for a long time (years), as the school has not yet replaced her with a permanent person.... and probably never will, because I suppose in a way they have the best of both worlds: an excellent teacher who they get rid of if need be without any union wranglings because she's not officially permanent! :rolleyes: They just recall her each term. :lol:

For some reason, I have met quite a few teachers in the last few months who are either from England or South Africa. I can think of 5 off-hand. 4 of them teach in state schools, all are doing supply teaching. The other one teaches at a private school, but doesn't have a permanent position either. All have been here for quite a while (ranging from 2 to 8 years).

Thanks for th eabove posts everybody.

In Fact. you can attain permanency in the metropole without going into the country. In stead of waiting (Maybe in vain) for a permanent post to a metro school, you can also opt for what we call here the "challenging school" route.

This entails that you seek and secure either contract or permanent postings to so-called hard-to-staff schools. believe me, the students at those schools are challenging.

The catch is that once tou have a permanent position at such as school, you must hack it there for at least 3 years, and them you are free to apply for any available position in the Adelaide Metro. That is how I obtained permanency myself.

I realise that this piece of info may be too cryptic, therefore I'll compile something more comprehensive in which I'll cover all the pitfalls, shortcuts, etc that i know of. Ive been in the South Oz Education system for 10 years now, of which 7 years are permanent. I hope to have it ready and posted within a week or so.

What people must try to understand that in many respects they deal with a very different culture in Australian Schools. Part of it is due to a liberal mindset that even many South Oz teachers start to agree did a lot of damage over the years. One start to see a gradual movement away from this to a more Values Related type of background to Education. One piece of evidence of this I see at my son's High School. After years of allowing Year 11 and 12 students to rock up at school dressed lik ethey wanted to, from this year the Year 11's and 12's are required to wear a uniform, a different one from the one used by the rest of the school, but a uniform nevertheless.

Glo my ek ondersteun hierdie idee met my hele hart!!!

Groete/Cheers,

Dax

Another thing to bear in mind is that once you do secure a permanent teaching position ( in state schools) and resign from that, you will not be able to get another permanent position. I have a friend who taught for several years in South Australia and Queensland before starting a family, then resigned to bring up her kids while they were young and now works as a supply teacher, as the "rules" state that once you resign, you can't ever go back to a permanent position (she tells me).

In South Oz you do not lose your permanency if you take leave to have and look after a baby.

You have about 4 months of paid leave. After that you have to take unpaid leave.

You may also take unpaid leave for longer periods while raising a chils while retaining your permanency, but on return you are not guaranteed a returm to your previous school.

In fact you are placed at schools temporarily (A PAT, permenent against temporary teacher) mostly on an annual basis until you obtain a long tenure (10 years) at a school again

I'll chase up the policies that deals with these matters ASAP.

Cheers,

Dax

Edited by Dax