Booking your flights with IOM

Fourie Stephan

For those wanting to take more luggage when you finally fly out to Oz

If you book your tickets through IOM then you get 40kg per person and discounted rates

Below are some contact details:

Rasivhaga Gloria

International Organization for Migration

Pretoria,South Africa

Tel no : +27(0)12 342 2789 (254)

Fax no : +27(0)12 342 0932

e-mail : grasivhaga@iom.int

For those wanting to take more luggage when you finally fly out to Oz

If you book your tickets through IOM then you get 40kg per person and discounted rates

Below are some contact details:

Rasivhaga Gloria

International Organization for Migration

Pretoria,South Africa

Tel no : +27(0)12 342 2789 (254)

Fax no : +27(0)12 342 0932

e-mail : grasivhaga@iom.int

Thanks for that, I will check it out.

I have also booked through IOM.

Service great. Tickets worked out 1/3 of the standard price and on top the 40kg.

As I said in reply to Cramer's question regarding the 40kgs... IOM does allow considerably more luggage weight but it is not EXACTLY 40kgs. So be careful of that.

Check with each airline you are flying with as they all differ, and make sure you leave space in your carry-on bag. You might need it later on in your journey.

I referred a friend of mine to IOM. She arrived in Sydney early December last year. Told her about the 40kg baggage allowance she would get as well as the cheaper airfares. Her husband arrived in Sydney 2/3 months before her and didn't take her advice to get tickets from IOM. He paid considerably more for his flight ticket with Virgin than she did with IOM's flights with Qantas/SAA and she got the 40kg baggage allowance as we did when we came over. We were actually slightly over that limit and they still let us go through because we were like the first people to check in. Just remember that one suitcase should not be more than 20kg. So we were a family of 4, each with 2 suitcases of 20kg each (totalling 8 suitcases = 120kg) AS WELL AS a small carry-on suitcase each. Each airline is different and you would probably not get this allowance if you don't book through IOM but then again I always say, "if you don't ask, you don't get".

I paid R7900.00 for a flight from Johannesburg to Sydney to Brisbane with 40kg checked baggage and carry on baggage separately. The cheapest other flight was R11 000.00 for the same route. This was now in Dec 2010

We paid about R35 000 for the four of us with IOM and had 17 pieces of luggage, including 2 toolboxes that went as fragile :ilikeit:

Had some really good service from IOM as we flew 2 weeks after we got our visa!!!!!!

You have to fly direct, no lay overs!

• 1 month later...

We just booked our flights with IOM and paid R16 000 (2 adults) for flights from CPT (R1500 each) --> JHB (R6500 each) --> SYD.

Definitely the cheapest flights by far AND the 40kg's (domestic and international) is a big plus.

Tickets worked out 1/3 of the standard price and on top the 40kg.

Is that after taking into account that the IOM booked flights are one-way?

Is that after taking into account that the IOM booked flights are one-way?

I don't understand the question?

If you're referring to the cost difference, get an online quote from SAA from Departing City --> Destination City (obviously one way as that's what the thread is about), then contact IOM for a quote for the same date. SAA (actually a Qantas flight as SAA purchase seats on that flight) quoted us R19804 for 2x Adults with 23Kg luggage whereas IOM gave the same flight to us for R16000 with 40Kg luggage.

I don't understand the question?

If you're referring to the cost difference, get an online quote from SAA from Departing City --> Destination City (obviously one way as that's what the thread is about), then contact IOM for a quote for the same date. SAA (actually a Qantas flight as SAA purchase seats on that flight) quoted us R19804 for 2x Adults with 23Kg luggage whereas IOM gave the same flight to us for R16000 with 40Kg luggage.

It was a bit tongue-in-cheek from my side.

David's post talk about IOM being 1/3 the price which creates a false impression in my view as I believe the only way to arrive at that number is to compare IOM's fare to a return airfare from other airlines. Your numbers quoted are a case in point as it works out at 4/5! (obviously not taking the extra baggage allowance into account)

For interest sake, we paid R8 100 JHB-MEL (no stop overs) return for flights in Nov 2010

Archived