Looking to buy a house in Australia

HouseInOz

WE are looking to buy a house and am doing the work all over again of researching areas.... Which lovely areas that you live in are you recommending and tell us more please why we should be looking there. Brisbane is so so big and I would hate not to have known about a super area!! ANY areas are considered!! No constraints on schools or work...

We want to drive through to North Lakes this Saturday. ANy suggestions on new developments or anything else to visit, look at?

We don't live in Brissie, but friends of ours live there in Pullenvale. It is beautiful! :ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit:

Depending on budget, but Bridgeman Downs is an area NOT to be missed. Excellent schools, brilliant area, close to town (approx 12km north of CBD). If you want a little better value for money, but further out, Cashmere is gorgeous - large blocks, new houses, AMAZING !!! About 25kms north of the CBD. Then there is Warner and North Lakes.

Good Luck !

Narangba is also a very nice suburb - a bit further out from the CBD, about 40kms, but the train makes the trip to the CBD in about an hour - Narangba is very close to North Lakes, and Redcliffe and Deception Bay. We know a really nice couple living in the area who you could chat to for info - send me a PM if interested.

Not sure what your budget is: Jay Park is also very nice, right next to Fig Tree Pocket on the way to Indooroopilly - not sure if any houses are for sale though - mostly all houses on acreage. Still love the western suburbs!

Narangba is also a very nice suburb - a bit further out from the CBD, about 40kms, but the train makes the trip to the CBD in about an hour - Narangba is very close to North Lakes, and Redcliffe and Deception Bay.

Please avoid Deception Bay, to live in, known as Depression Bay in my family. My one sis in law has lived there for 15 years. There might be tiny pockets where things are different but, for the most part it has huge social problems. We bring all our nieces down to Sydney as soon as they graduate because most of their friends get themselves pregnant or if you are really ambitious, they go for a career at Red Rooster.....until they fall pregnant. Just my 2c.

http://localvoices.realestate.com.au/forums

I have found an awesome link that can be of use to all people looking at areas to live in - any where in Australia. What this give is the local voice and information from people living there, also ratings for traffic, facilities, etc etc.

You can also register and be part of the forum!! and the added advantage is that realestate is one of the biggest housing websites in AUS

Thanks for your replies and MORE would be appreciated!! I am just so so much wanting to buy a house and get settled...... BUT have NO idea at the moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This subject also depends on what ticks the boxes for you - what are you looking for in a suburb? Close to the CBD, good schools, rural or urban, commuting?

I also like Upper Kedron, near Ferny Grove, and Ferny Hills as well as Samford which is a bit further out - Samford Village is very quaint. Haven't ever lived in any of those areas, just driven through. Good luck in your search!

This subject also depends on what ticks the boxes for you - what are you looking for in a suburb? Close to the CBD, good schools, rural or urban, commuting?

I also like Upper Kedron, near Ferny Grove, and Ferny Hills as well as Samford which is a bit further out - Samford Village is very quaint. Haven't ever lived in any of those areas, just driven through. Good luck in your search!

Thanks S

May I ask why the move to Tasmania and no goodbye!!! ;((

We recently bought a house after many months of looking and we were tired of renting. We live in Aspley and it is only 14km from the city, has big blocks of land and close but not on our doorstep close are shops (chermside), good parks and public transport and affordable prices. the houses are solid in comparison with some of the new house in the estates. Another good area is Sinnamon Park also leafy, close enough to freeways and shops.

A little more expensive and mostly older queenslander style houses look in Grange, Windsor, Newmarket.

there seems to be a bit of rivalry between the northside and southside which i don't understand (yet) but we personally do prefer the northside as it is more australian.

I personally would stay clear of anything in Logan.

Happy house hunting.

Bailey

Hi, I am just curious - I know people who is staying in an area near Logan - is that not a good area to live in ?

Thanks S

May I ask why the move to Tasmania and no goodbye!!! ;((

I'll send you a PM! And I thoroughly recommend Tasmania as a place to move to!

• 1 month later...

We have learned so much with this process. All I need to say is BUYERS BEWARE, Have a solicitor, DO your Inspections, Be prepared for your offers to be rejected, OH and there are ALWAYS another buyer/offer according to the agent (MMM....) and be sure to get a MORTGAGE BROKER before you start the process, to get pre-approval of finance!! I can recommend HEATHER GRIERSON, she is on this forum and can help any where in Australia. Oh and you DO NOT need a 10% depost. $ 1000 is quite acceptable as a deposit. Do your research, ask ask ask around and be sure to be very assertive with the agents (they are NOT on your side......)

Be sure to put in all of the specific conditions, subject to which you buy the house, as a SEPARATE addendum. ie Finance, building inspections, due diligence, etc.

Archived