glock26

Hi there, it always feels so strange to introduce oneself to a whole group of people whom you have never met, but if it can help us in any way, then i'm all for it. I live with my husband and 3 children, the youngest being 5 months old, on a farm between Burgersdorp and Molteno in the Eastern Cape of South Africa. we are now starting to seriously considering relocating anywhere out of Africa but have so little knowledge of what other countries have to offer. Australia, being so much like SA climate wise, would be a very good option but we do not know where to begin. We are hoping that perhaps there is someone out there that can give advise on which way to go; reading on the forum about different types of visas available already has us confused, but gives us an idea of what will have to happen

Thank you for the site.

Hi!

Welcome to the forum! The first step would to see what visas you are eligible for. Are your occupations on the skilled occupation lists?, is the main applicant under 45 etc. Try the wizard on the Australian Immigration website and see what visas you could possible apply for. http://www.immi.gov.au/

Hope this helps

Candice

Hi!

Welcome to the forum! The first step would to see what visas you are eligible for. Are your occupations on the skilled occupation lists?, is the main applicant under 45 etc. Try the wizard on the Australian Immigration website and see what visas you could possible apply for. http://www.immi.gov.au/

Hope this helps

Candice

Thanks Candice, will give that a try

HI Glock26,

Welcome to the forum, many of us have been in your shoes at a time and will gladly help where we can.

Let us lnow the the immi website suggests for you and your family, and lets see where we can help from there, failing that there are a fer agents who are members of this forum and ready and willing to help.

Once again Welcome

T

If the main applicant . . . . and that can either be your husband or yourself, if you fit into the category that is needed in Australia . . . . . is a tradesman or professional and under 45 years of age, then you stand a good chance of getting into Australia permanently.

You haven't said too much about yourselves other than that you come off a farm in the eastern Cape. Giving more detail on what you've done in the past and what qualifications you might have to offer will allow others on this website to give their experiences in migrating to this big country.

Either way, we can appreciate that it's getting unsafe to live and work in the bush in South Africa and can sympathise with your decision to shift away from danger and give your kids, if you have any, a bright future "down under".

We're looking forward to your next reply.

Hi and welcome!

It's scary not knowing where to start and all the acronyms! :ilikeit:

Remember that the immigration rules will be changing 01 July 2011 which means the main applicant's age can be up to 49. It might be worth your while to see if your chances will be better to apply before or after the changes. If you battle to see which visas you qualify for maybe ask one of the agents on the forum for an initial assessment to help point you in the right direction. I can highly recommend Stephen Dickson from Migration Outcomes Australia. He's SDMOA on the forum also see his website http://www.migrateaus.com.au/

As for the acronyms..post the ones you want to know and we can help!

PM= Personal message. If you don't want to post where everybody can see go to the person's profile you want to send the PM to and under their profile pic click on send message. I know for some of the other forum members this is common knowledge but if you're new and you have to deal with SMP's and CO's and PCC's and SS etc etc. it can be a bit overwhelming when someone tells you to send them a PM...

My poor husband gets so confused that I have officially been appointed the minister of relocation and research :ilikeit:

Use the info on the forum as a guideline and do research research research!

Good luck :ilikeit:

A

Thanks to all of you answering. My husband has been farming for 20 years, started after coming out of the army and never went to study, he reckoned his university was the farm and his dad was his teacher. I might add that he has done very well.

I also farmed for 6 years before getting married and then got my MOM degree (HA HA). I did a certified financial accountant course through the post and have being done peoples books for the last two years, so i can say i have something to fall back on, should we lose our ground here.

Our big advantage is, and please correct me if i'm wrong, is the fact that with land prices being so high here in SA at the moment, we should be in a stable financial position should we sell.

The hardest part is making the decision and of course telling everyone, but we'll get through it, the fact that we are considering it can only mean that we will probably go through with it.

Glock26, after reading your above post, I definitely suggest that you check with one of the agents on this website that gives advice. With your description, you may have a real problem getting into Australia, as you need to either have a degree or a trade to qualify. If you have enough money, you may be able to buy your way in by way of an investment, but that is going to be some serious money, so please, send a PM to "SD_MOA" or to "Ajay", they will give you the correct advice.

With regard to the best area for farming, you will have to tell us what it is that you wish to farm with, as the best areas differ, depending on what you farm.

Archived