Vodacom Internet Starter Pack??

Short&Tall

Hi Guys

Looking at setting up better internet access for MIL and came across this.

Vodacom Internet Starter Pack at R399 prepaid for the year.

It appears that you get a modem plus 100MB data each month.

I asked and it sounded as if there was nothing extra and it seems the cheapest option I really just wanted to check to see if anyone had any experience with it.

Cheers

That will work out horendously expensive in the long run. The moment she goes over the 100mb which she will do they will charge her out of bundle rates which are probably in the region of R2 /mb. Skype uses 30 megs for a 1 hour voice only conversation. That increases if you have a video conversation. One little windows update and she will use that up instantly. While you save by paying on R399 for the year she will pay with top up data packages.

Try http://www.cellc.co.za/internet/data_prepa...-only-5c-per-mb

R149 for 2 gigs/month

Thanks Jordy

Yes I suppose we should consider that she is likely to use more when we are overseas as she may use it to chat.

We had assumed that we could probably buy an internet bundle and addi it to her SIM if it went over.

At the moment she only uses the skype text/chat facility (not sure how much that uses but assume less than voice).

Plus she downloads a few emails each week and maybe a picture once a month.

So currently very little useage - but who knows in the future and we do want to sort her out now.

I am currently using Cybertek as my ISP. I currently pay R209pm for Uncapped ADSL. Added to this, I pay for the ADSL line, which is R150pm.

So the grand total is R359pm for uncapped ADSL.

Thanks Robbie & Jordy

We were hoping for cheaper options - although my MIL may use more in the future? At the moment she is probably using less than 20MB most months - looks at Outlook Express twice a week - this with 2 kids and 5+ grandkids already overseas.

Thanks Robbie & Jordy

We were hoping for cheaper options - although my MIL may use more in the future? At the moment she is probably using less than 20MB most months - looks at Outlook Express twice a week - this with 2 kids and 5+ grandkids already overseas.

I was also looking at the Vodacom 100mb bundle. (for the average MIL, sending a few emails it should be sufficient, but it's not going to make a week if you try to Skype). As far as the costs are concerned, once you exceed your 100mb, you're done for the month, no hidden charges.... although you have the option to recharge.

The 2GB CellC deal is by far a better option if you fall into their coverage area. I've already set everything up for my folks... still have to make a plan for my MIL because they don't have CellC coverage.

Maybe 4x Vodacom 100mb for the same price as the CellC 2GB deal :ilikeit:

(That works out far cheaper than loading the 300mb Vodacom bundle for R139)

The next best deals are usually WiFi connections... But coverage is very limited based on location...

After that, I'd try iBurst....

On a completely different note.... I'd rather try this (sorry, but I couldn't find the original post)

Even when moms and dads and grannies etc have Skype all set up, it still sometimes is quite a challenge for them to actually use it. OR - if you live out in the sticks like us, your internet connection might be not so great - or theirs might not be so great? We now get our calls from their landlines to our landline.

Here is what we've done:

(You need to follow these steps in order to get the 50% discount...)

1. Your family needs a Telkom Closer package on their Telkom account (for them to phone for free, otherwise it will be the cost of a local or national call).

1. Setup a Skype ID if you don't have one

2. Sign in on www.skype.com and buy a 'country' subscription for Australia (we are doing it monthly - just under $7 per month off your credit card) - click on "Buy a subscription now at a discounted rate." and follow the instructions. (This gives you unlimited calls from your Skype to Aus numbers - see step 4 for why you need this.)

3. Once you have done this, buy an online number in the city where your family will phone from the most (to make it a local call for them). You will have to 'declare that you are resident in SA' blush.gif . You need to do this step after step 2 in order to qualify for the 50% discount if it is still available when you read this post. We bought our online number for a year, and it cost us $40.

4. Open Skype on your PC and go to Tools/Options - Calls and Call forwarding. Tick that calls should be forwarded if not answered, type your country code, state code and telephone number into the box. (e.g. +61356781111). Select how long you want your Skype to ring if applicable and Save.

Now your family can phone you on your e.g. 011083xxxx 'online number', which is a local or national call for them, and if they have Telkom Closer, they phone for free on Sat/Sun as long as it is for less than an hour. (They can hang up after 58mins and dial again of course.) You can answer on skype if you wish, and if your skype is offline, or if your connection is not great and you would prefer to receive the call on your landline and you just don't answer, the call will be forwarded.

I know there might be other options available, we just find this one to work the easiest for us as we use Skype regularly, and even if we aren't home we can still receive the calls on our Skype if we have our laptops and mobile connection with us.

So the summary of the costs:

For the family in SA: The extra monthly amount for Telkom Closer

For you: $40 for the year, plus $6.95 per month

You get: Your calls on Skype, or an unlimited number of calls forwarded to your landline number, and your family can phone for free over weekends! (Or obviously pay SA call rates the rest of the week.)

We received a forwarded call on our landline from Cape Town this evening, it was crystal clear with no delay, and hubby was on the phone for about 45 mins.

Hope this helps someone...

Yolande

Hi Yolande

Thanks confirming the no hidden charge on the 100mb deal. Plus the potential to get 2 of the 100mb bundles if the useage increases (as we had only thought about top-up so far). But I will check out the CellC2 GB option as well as the others mentioned here.

Given my MIL current usage with the 2 other sibs overseas, plus how much she chats with us currently, I don't see her needing much more.

We recently got her on the Closer2 plan (and I don't know if it is still available - when I was sorting that out I found out that she was eligible for a pensioners discount on her phone bill standing charges - Telkom did not really want to tell me about it and I think they have now stopped it for new closer2 customers). This has reduced her phone bill - and massively increased her communication with loved ones in RSA given the free calls.

Thanks for reminding me - I should look at setting up a local Skype number for her to dial to contact us when we leave.

Much appreciated

T

Archived